Galaxy Domino Bipe build

Thanks for that CS I will do the same, I see that you have put the horn right on the TE of the aileron I take it that is the best way?

As I have a single servo with torque rods I may have to fit my linkages in the centre of the aileron about 71/2" from the fus or would you advise to put them near the torque rod ie: right near where yours are.

Sorry for the silly questions .................This is my first bipe and Thanks for the photo.

RM

Advert

Don't forget Roy you could always upgrade the servo for one with more torque if necessary but do be sure the servo mounting will take the extra stress......beefing things up is fine until the next link in the chain fails!!!

Which servo are you currently using? Remember its not possible to have too much torque but it is VERY possible to have too little...crook

Also whilst I don't want to go against CSBs method of linking top & bottom ailerons as it is obviously working OK for him I don't think this way of linking top & bottom ailerons using surface mounted horns is a good idea.....because they move in an arc this leads to different amounts of movement for the top & bottom aileron........much better in my view to cut a slot into the TE of each aileron & let a short length of C/F , G10 or even ply into the T/E with epoxy. Drill a hole though this "horn" & link the ailerons this way......the ailerons will be linked together geometrically correctly & will each move the same amount.....thumbs up

Thanks for your reply Steve

, I am using Standard Futaba S148 Servos which are brand new will they be ok? Also I think I understand about the aileron linkage is there a diagram or picture anywhere I could use as reference.

Basicly it sounds as if your extending the TE of the ailerons and making a type of horn ?

I really appreciate your help

Roy

H'mmm...the 148 is a great servo.....only about 3kg.cm though so not a real powerhouse.

Maybe wait until the mod is done & then see how much resistance there is at the torque rod.....that should give you an idea......you can buy servos with very substantial torque for not much money these days.....if you have any doubt then replacing it with a more powerful servo will be a simple fix.....much simpler than fitting a servo in each wing after all.

I used the method I described on my Pitts Special which is a similar size to the Domino......I'll take a pic or three of the linkage tonight & post them up for you......for now though here she is...

This model uses a servo in each wing....I used metal geared minis with a torque rating of 2.5kg.cm & these have been fine. Incidentally the kit recommended using horns in the same way as CSB has done.....

I see what you mean Steve, but after rigging it up with the horn setup there isn't any noticeable difference in movement, and it works fine (and it is the best flying plane we have!). On a larger or own design biplane I would use your method as well, it was just easy to use horns on this one.

I have an HS225BB in each wing which on 6 volts have 4.8 kg.cm (3.9 on 4.8 volts) apparently, which is way more than enough, some HS81's would have fine (and better for the thin wing) but it all works fine (and like Steve said, you can never have too much torque!).

The reason my inter-aileron struts are where they are is simply because that is inline with the horn that connects to the servo.

CS

Thanks Roy.....she's an ARTF though so I can't really take any credit for her.....embarrassed. She flies very nicely but I have to be "in the mood" for her...you know??

CSB you may well be right about the horns.....as I say the Pitts instructions recommended the same method.....it just seems geometrically "wrong" to me. I may very well be over analysing it since this is a particular speciality of mine....wink 2

Oh & please don't mention HS81s where my Pitts Spesh can hear you........it was a pair of HS81s that caused the demise of her older sister when they decided to do what they wanted to do & not what I wanted them to do.....angry 2 HS81s are not good servos in my book....I have 3 or 4 that have the jitters. Personally I won't ever use them again...

Right a few pics of the Pitts aileron linkage......

A general view.....

pittswing0001.jpg

A close up of the top linkage.....

pittswing0002.jpg

The "horn" let into the TE of the aileron.....

pittswing0003.jpg

The slots were cut into the TE using a dremel cutting disc to give a slot about 1.5mm wide.....I can't remember where the white plastic bits came from......maybe a cut down horn.....this is epoxied into the slot. The linkage is a 2mm rod threaded at one end & fitted with a clevis for adjustment with a right angle bend & keeper at the other.....

Hope that helps Roy....wink 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well The modification went really well and i now have ailerons fitted to both top and bottom wings.

This worked out really easy to do and the standard single servo is up for the job no problem.

We took her up on Sunday and the difference was unbelievable she flew like a dream and the roll rate was fantastic.

I had to put a couple of washers under the front of the top wing as the incidence was not the same on both wings, again this made a huge difference to the flight.

I am really happy with the end result of my domino and Thank you to CS and eveyone who became part of this thread. It was great to be able to follow along and chat with other people who have made the same model.

I have got a video of the maiden but it's a bit shacky in places I will try and add it on here

Regards

Roy

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Ok, he is probably flying it on 4 cells but with a much larger prop than i could use due to ground clearance. There are guys flying Bi-Fly .25s on 4s but with a smaller prop due to limited diameter clearance which means more cells to get the performance. The domino is a larger bipe than that, 5s is probably on the nail as i want a fast flying plane with unlimited vertical wink