Peter Millers Harlequin Build Blog (electric conversion)

Hello Geoff

I think your building skills are really - really - good. I've been clicking on your photos and marvelling at the increased size blow ups. Your joints all appear to be so very tight. When I eventually get started on my own builds I hope I can emulate your precision.

Could you please tell me what glue/s you are using. Make and name, please. Many thanks.

Ian

Thanks for the compliment Ian - For this build I've used three glues which I bought from my local model shop. They are all made by the same company - Deluxe Materials. For high stress areas I used '20min Speed Epoxy' and 'Aliphatic Resin' for most other fixing. If I needed a quick bond, because I had time to do quite a bit of work, I've tried out 'Super Phatic' and found it very good. I originally bought the 'Super Phatic' for fixing Mylar Hinges as it's ultra thin. There's a web site - www.deluxematerials.com which gives details of other glues they manufacture.

I see that a long motor mount has ben used to electrify the Harlequin. I wonder if it might not be better to move the motor bulkhead forward a couple of inches to enable the battery to be put well forward to get CG right without using lead. No doubt Geoff will tell us how the CG works out.

My idea would be put a new smaller motor bulkhead where the motor sits, connected to F1 by a liteply battery tray. And make a big hole in F1 so the battery slides through. In this case F1 could be reduced to 1/8 ply perhaps. Not much vibration with electric so no real need to extend the 1/32 ply doublers to the new F1 position I reckon. This helps taper the nose in using the existing chunky balsa cowl.

( Peter, sorry to mutilate your design but I feel many people will want to electrify this design! This might save the model becoming overweight with lead ballast)

I don't mind what people do with my designs. few people build a model from a plan without making some changes.

I only mind when they make changes and then blame the model if it doesn't work. Oh, and I do get mad when poeple build a scale plan and use a non-scale colour scheme.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/07/2012 18:27:23

That sounds a good idea KC - as a newbie builder I thought it best to stay as close to the plans as possible. I did the same with 'The Big Ship' and, as you say, used quite a bit of lead ballast. However it flies very well.smiley

If you go ahead with your idea please do a blog - it'll help greatly for my future builds.yes

I dont think I will build this one myself, but I am suggesting it to a clubmate who wants a model to build as a follow on to an ARTF electric trainer. Therefore I may modify the drawing for him.

Peter's attitude is exactly right, we modify at our own risk! Also Geoff's idea of sticking to the plan for a first build.

It seems to me that almost all newcomers are starting with electric and if the magazines want to sell plans to first time builders then an electric optional version would seem important. I understand Peter's liking for IC and many existing modellers feel the same, but beginners are likely to remain electric if they start electric. i.e. it's your first love that you remember That's why so many still like diesels.

After 29 years of glow models I built my first electric model this year and that's the way to go ( for me )

Note to anyone buying this plan.  The advert for a plan which often comes with this thread is for a different Harlequin!  It's the much smaller old control line model!  Different plan number too, dont buy the wrong thing at vast & non refundable expense.  The kit of parts etc is the right model though,  but you have to buy th plan seperately I think unless you have the magazine with plan.

Edited By kc on 30/07/2012 11:34:35

My first model that I got a lot of proper flying on was electric, but I still prefer IC. I just prefer it, and I can get more flight time because with our Foam-E Wot 4 (superb plane) we can get 2 8-10 minute flights because we have two batteries. With my Funfly we could probably get 10 15-20 minute flights in a session, maybe even more.

I do see the advantages of electric flight, I just prefer IC.

Just my kettle of fish.

CS

PS. I also like to think Concorde had an engine that ran on fuel, so my planes must be the same!

The photo is misleading Peter - it's the underside of the wing.

This is the top of the wing after fitting the servo mount plate ....

Harlequin Build Blog

Then pictured from the underside of the wing .....

Harlequin Build Blog

Scrap infills fitted at the wing root.....

Harlequin Build Blog

One of the bell crank/ pushrod assemblies in possition....

Harlequin Build Blog

The weather forcast is good - flying tomorrow ..... brilliant !! hot smiley

Oh dear - not much building done recently!! I've been enjoying the sunny weather - walking, cycling, golf not to mention BBQ's. I've been doing little bits at a time so it'stime to update.....

The aileron servo assembly in position but not fitted...

Harlequin Build Blog

Leading edges fitted......

Harlequin Build Blog

Bell Crank cover plates fitted.....

Harlequin Build Blog

and finally I've made a start on the wing tips.....

Harlequin Build Blog

Slow work at the moment and I'm off to Bournmouth in the caravan for a holiday and a session in a flight simulator this weekend smiley up and away...........

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no post !!!!!!

I've been very busy enjoying a caravan holiday and had computer probs when I got back so no updates.

I've got a fair bit done so here goes .....

Wing tips fitted and shaped....

Harlequin Build Blog

Short trailing edge pieces fitted.....

Harlequin Build Blog

Wing bolt ply plate fitted .........

Harlequin Build Blog

Wing in position on fus to check fit.. and it did !!!!!!

Harlequin Build Blog

Pointed wing bolts in position to mark bolt holes on underside of wing ....

Harlequin Build Blog

Wing bolted in position...... When I came to cut/ fit the fairing on the wing I discovered that the wing bolt plate was too wide. Lesson learned I should have checked before fitting!!

Harlequin Build Blog

So.. following a bit of hacking away I managed to cut back the wing bolt plate and fit the wing fairing........a very time consuming and fiddly job but well worth the effort !!

Harlequin Build Blog

Ailerons cut to size and in position ready for trimming to length.....

Harlequin Build Blog

Thats all for now - the sun is out and the golf course beckons .........hotsmiley

Yaysmiley You're back!

Looks lovely, nice to see some proper wooden wing tips, middle of the wing basically the same as the Funfly, from the wing forwards is almost exactly the same but a different shape. But the wing on this is better, although the Funfly one is very strong and light, this one is much simpler and just as strong I would imagine. Great building, lovely and neat!

Are you having the Ailerons all the way to the tip or shortening them slightly and glueing a bit on the outside to protect the ailerons?

CS