Which radio ?

kenking-King Design

Help ! Returning to the fold after a VERY long absence I'm overwhelmed by the huge advances in almost every aspect of the hobby, artf, rtf, electric, and above all, radio. I'm a raw radio beginner so at the bottom of the learning curve. I need to fit gear to two models, one a high wing trainer, the other (long-term project) a D.B. Giant 95inch span bipe. I like what I've heard of 2.4 gHz, it seems the way to go, but given the difference between my models is it possible to find one set that will suit both? I need modest cost receivers to be permanently installed in each model, likewise servos, though of different sizes, and would like a system with which I can grow without more significant expense. Any informed advice will be gratefully received.

Advert

My radio flys simple 2 ch gliders and jets so of course one set is capable, you have to find the one for you, make a list of all the things you would like to do now and in the future and how many channels that might invoke, on here you will get all the usual answers spectrum futaba, blaa blaa blaa, forget that and go to a good model shop and have a grope and feel ask about prices for rxs as that will be a big impact and all ways always buy the best system you can afford, it's a way of future proofing yourself, my first 2.4 gig purchase of a dx7 was soon sold when I wanted to fly moulded gliders, it was rubbish for them!!

So have a look at them all spekky, hitec, futaba, jr, multiplex etc there is not a bad one in that lot but some are more suited to you than others, I fly JR 11X ZERO

Hi Ken,

Definitely 2.4 but beyond that my view on these is that its "much-of-a-muchness" between the name brands and comes down to personal preferences. People will cite advantages of one particular brand, but to be honest you'll just find that one has "this" feature, another has "that" feature - neither of which you'll use that often so it doesn't really matter. The truth is all the name brands do the basic job well.

Futaba and Spektrum are probably the market leaders. Either will give you a good reliable system loaded with as many features as you are ever likely to need. A good 6 channel set from either will last years.

But don't forget some of the others: Hi-Tec looking good these days. Both JR and Jeti for example have their fans too and are certainly worth a look at.

You can probably forget Multiplex - good kit and all that but quite pricey, a little eccentric and not really a good choice for a beginner I would suggest.

Finally, for budget, the Planet systems take some beating. Obviously you don't get as many "bells and whistles" and (don't take this the wrong way) but build quality is a little bit compromised in the interests of cost. But none-the-less a reliable system worth considering.

The best plan is to get yourself to one of the bigger Model Stores that would have all the main name brands. Get them to put the battery in and have a good "feel". What a Tx feels like in your hands is the single most important consideration. You want the right balance for your tastes, a weight you are comfortable with and switch positions you can find easily. The pricer sets will have fully adjustable sticks - don't afraid to experiment - if the budget sets don't have adjustable sticks then are you happy with the stiffness/length etc. Remember to try the Tx's with a neck strap/tray if you plan to use one.

Buy what you feel happy with. You can't really get this wrong as long as the Tx suits you. Any 6 channel kit I've mentioned will happily fly both the models you have in mind.

BEB

PS Final point, if you plan to join a clubh and take adavantage of "buddy line" tutition then you will need to consider what systems the instructors there use.

Ony buy 2.4 ghz.

For any beginner or returning modeller the only consideration is to choose the same as your instructor will use! If he uses Futaba or Spektrum you will need the same. Many clubs insist on using a buddy lead for new fliers and on 2.4ghz they dont seem compatible from one make to another.

As to model then either the Futaba T6 J ( or 6EX 2.4 if still avail, which has more expensive extra Rx ) or Spektrum DX6i will suit for most flying. My theory is not to spend a fortune to get a fancy Tx but to buy a 6 channel basic of good make which can be 'dumped' instead of repaired if it ever malfunctions in the slightest.

Perhaps Lee will explain why a DX7 is rubbish for moulded gliders? ( I dont fly gliders or use Spektrum so I really want to know for interest not to provoke a discussion on one make against another)

Posted by kc on 27/06/2012 17:05:42:

Perhaps Lee will explain why a DX7 is rubbish for moulded gliders? ( I dont fly gliders or use Spektrum so I really want to know for interest not to provoke a discussion on one make against another)

I'm no glider guider KC (heaven knows I'm not!) but more advanced slopers have a awful lot of lift/drag "aids" on them; flaps, crow brakes, flapperons etc. etc. All of these will need a channel to operate them, but more significantly they will also need mixes to maintain trim when deployed. Start to add up all the combinations of what could be deployed with what and you'll see that 7 channels will go nowhere. Also a tranny that has some of these mixes pre-programmed (all you have to do is dial in how much) makes life a lot simpler for the glider boys.

BEB

Great minds think alike??? Pfft unlikely mate one a prof the other a chump !! Just luck me thinks, anyway firstly some people swear by multiplex stuff for beginners yes menu structure is odd compared to everyone else but once you get used to it it's supposed to be more Intuative. I have to disagree with the poster that says buy a budget set, if you know this is the hobby for you it's rarely a wise investment, all too soon you will be frustrated at the lack of functionality and will have to buy again, I strongly recommend against this path.

As for the dx7 (jr tx badged as spekky) it is a fine starting point but when things start to get complicated with a four servo wing and variable camber plus crows, it becomes an absolute pain in the bum.

The lack of flight modes is also a big ommision I use them in all but the most basic of my models

as i and others have said before go to a big shop have a grope and a feel ask questions and do not be swayed by marketing, do some research, and buy the best your budget will stretch to.

If I had to recommend one tx based on price performance functions mixes flexibility etc I would go for hitec aurora 9, the rxs are cheap as well

Thanks to all for your comments. It's definitely 2.4 then, and the best I can afford so as to get the most features and mileage from my purchase. I must say that I am impressed by what I have read of the Hitec kit, and the features included in even the bottom end sets. I'm thinking that one of their midrange outfits would suit me very well for a long time to come. Anyone disagree with that ?

Not me - Hitec seem to have come on in leaps and bounds over the last 5 years or solaugh.

I'm a Spekky (DX8 ) user, and as Lee says, glidery stuff is not the easiest to do on them - its possible, but it uses a LOT of mixes and is quite awkward.

Remebr that the reason a lot of people remain loyal to a particular brand is because once you have acquired a lot of models /receivers, you are pretty much locked in to that brand as receivers are not useable with Txs of other brands. The cost of additional recivers is certainly something to be aware of when choosing a brand.

Ken, I mentioned my thought on Radio type on your introduction thread. I can enlarge a little as you mentioned your DB Giant Biplane for the future. Look to see how many servo's required for it as that could dictate the the Radio Model, f'rinstance, eight, nine, or ten channels required. As it is a rather large model you will likely find "modest" size and price servos are not the best way to go for it. Big models normally mean big servos. It will be quite some time before you will be able to consider flying it so a more modest ie cheaper/ second hand tranny will perhaps be a good route to go, baring in mind compatibility with your Instructor/s radio. You have in the Balbedie club guys who are experienced with larger models who can advise here too,

See you sometime, Bob

Hi Ken, Answer to similar tranny question. Yes you are quite correct. On the whole, one make of tranny is NOT compatible with another make for buddy box linkage. Your club members do have a strong following for Hytec and Futaba with quite a few Spektrum users too.

Always nice to have your own model even though the club has a trainer model. I think you will find that you will want one of your own, then advance into more advanced models as you gain experience. Which you will need before you fly your big Biplane.

I was surprised to see Biggles Elder Brother mention JR as if it were some sort of also-ran. In my club there are more JR users than all the others put together, but the advice to try-before-you-buy is very valid. I did just that, fifteen years ago, having been heavily advised to buy Futaba, but the moment I held a JR it felt so perfectly balanced and 'right' that I knew it was for me. 'Market-leaders' is a misleading description; Ford cars may be market-leaders, but it doesn't stop you wanting a Jaguar, and JR quality is much closer to the latter than the former. Feel them all out, then buy the best you can afford.