Lama 5

Granddad

I've just recieved a Lama 5 and am having trouble controlling it. I thought they were easy to hover, my mini pred is a piece of cake compared to this, any tips on setting up/ trimming would be greatly appreciated, I' ve seen one flying hands off at the Southern  model Airshow and it was amazing.

Hi Andy

If its the little counter rotating jobbie you are refering to. Compared to the mini pred its a lot lighter and if you are flying it outside it will be blown around the place by the lightest of winds and a struggle to fly  Or am I just stating the obvious?  How does it perform inside?

Al

Hi Al

Yes  its the counter rotating one- I bought it to practice on when I cant get outside, but I'm having trouble getting it off the ground. I have to give it full right rudder to stop it turning, but I thought they were not supposed to do this, I thought the rotors stopped it. It may be obvious but I'm a beginner and the mini pred is going quite well, am I doing it wrong with the lama?

Andy

Hi Andy

Probably stating the obvious  Put in more right trim if its available - if you still have a problem then check your instructions to see how you can ajust the gain and the pot settings (usually on the receiver) to ajust the motors speeds.

The other thing to watch with this type of helicopter is that all of a sudden they can  start to spin for no apparent reason. This is normally caused by wacking the throttle on quickly and on some models (depending on the quality of the drive parts -usually pastic !) can strip the gear teeth inducing the spin.

good luck

Al

Hi Andy.

I to fly the Robins 22 and this is much the same as yours, make soare both motors have the same speed by un pluging each motor and checking one at a time the lower rota should start up slitly after the top rota and reach the same speed when the stick is in the middel, you can balance the ruder trim on the Rx hope this will help.

happy flying Owen.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been flying a V4 for a year now and have many mods which have increased the performance dramatically.

Xtreme blades and motors - high C lipo , shortend flybar and the cheapeast mod - longer servo horns, this increases the forward speed by a huge amount......even outside

Can't beat a CP heli outside though if there's more than a slight breeze

• 1 month later...

I'm really new to R/C heli's and have recently purchased a lama-5. Ive picked up the flying pretty quickly and within about 30 mins of flying time had it pretty much tamed, apart from one thing, as soon as it takes off it rotates anti-clockwise which means i have to over compensate constantly,which im guessing is something to do with motor speeds? I really cant understand how to fix this. Should I take it back to the shop i bought it from?

I know I shouldn't but I tried it outside, because the indoor sessions have finished, and it is pretty uncontrollerable, and it caught in a far tree. I lost the flybar, and the bit that the skids bolt on to. Does anyone know were I can get this bit for the 5, as it is different to the lama 4.

I live in Milton Keynes, does anyone know of any evening indoor session nearby, as I work untill 7.00 pm especially on a saturday.

Pete 

Hi Alan

Read my comments above. Adjusting the gain or sensitivity should be illustrated in your instructions that came with the heli.  Most heli's will kick to the left on take off but should straighten once airborne if the aircraft is properly trimmed. Basically all you need to do normally -is to gently - in small increments - with a tiny screwdriver - is to turn the small screw  ie: gain (should be marked 'gain'on the combined receiver -Its the little box what the ariel comes out of with the lights on)  till it cures the problem.

Al

Thanks for getting back. As it turns out, I called into the shop it was purchased from where a young lad who was an "expert" had a look at it. After a bit of fiddling he decided to reverse the server switch on the handset for the throttle and sent it flying, quite majesticaly, into the shop roof. Once all 4 rotor blades had shattered and the tail had snapped into a couple of bits, and the heli had crunched to a stop on the floor in front of me, I was offered an exchange for a new model. It has to be one of the funniest things ive seen for a while.

The new model still rotates but this time in the opposite direction (clockwise) even once it has cleared the ground and is a good 6 ft high. I will give your suggestion a try. I cant see any screws to turn on the control unit but  there is a sticker on it with plus and minus symbols, so maybe the cover has to come off the control unit.

Strange to reverse the throttle   Perhaps he can fly this one into the roof and replace it with one that flys in the middle.   Not up to speed with the Lama V5 but  I would suggest you shouldn't have to remove the cover.  When I said screw. I dont mean metal type screw - they are normally of the plastic type on that type of heli.  There is normally a hole in the cover to get at the gain screw and is normally marked with a curved direction arrow  with a + and -  sign.

Al