wot 4 foam e problems

hi all

i have been flying my wot 4 in the feild and had had 3 normal fine flights, BUT on the fourth flight i must have been about 1 min into the flight when i was climing out of a low flat out pass when i heard a loud grinding/squeaking noise and lost all motor response, but still had controll over all the surfaces and manadged to land no probles( one of my best dead stick landings ever )

now here is the techy part

i fly of a 3s 2200mah lipo pack

the standard ESC

and the standard motor

i have never had any problems with this model before and it has never missed a beat, i have also been flying the model off of these items for a good few months now and has never gone wrong.

the problem if that i don't really want to replace the wrong part, so if anyone can decipher what the hec has gone wrong please could you inform me an i willl soon be replacing the broken part.

regard chris

Advert

Does the motor spin freely? Any grating or roughness indicates a thrown magnet or duff bearing. To check....

Take the cowl off - Take the prop off - undo the four screws on the motor mount and pop your motor out. The three wires have bullet connectors that will come apart with care.

On the front of the motor, you will find a grub screw and on the back a circlip. Carefully remove the circlip. (It will fly accross the room if you are not careful.) and you should be able to pull the motor apart. (It might be stiff)

You can then see the magnets. Check its clean in there. Sometimes bits of magnet debris stick on the magnets. If you have a loose magnet, carefully glue it back in place with epoxy or cyano. (Dont get it in the bearings!)

If you can't get the circlip back on as the motor is mounted such that under load the motor is pulled together.

A standard Overlander (or similar) 3536 motor of 1000Kv is a direct swap for the WOT 4 foamy motor and about a third of the price. You might want to prop down to a 11X7 rather than the standard 11X8 as the standard spec is, if I remember rightly 900Kv.

Edited By GrahamC on 09/07/2012 20:05:15

Edited By GrahamC on 09/07/2012 20:06:43

thanks for that graham

the motor does spin freely and does not seem to grind or have any more resistance

i will try to take the motor apart, but under closer inspection i can see that the motor mounting is slightly loose on the fuselarge

im guessing then that the ESC has not broken or is causing the problem (i dought it but i not ruling it out)

regard chris

Edited By chris edwards 3 on 09/07/2012 20:20:40

Edited By chris edwards 3 on 09/07/2012 20:20:57

The motor mounts do tend to loosen up on the Wot 4 Foamy. There is not much you can do about it. If you fly from a grass field and tip the plane forward on its nose when taxying, that won't help. I ended up inserting ply wedges in to stiffen up my mount. Polyeurethane (Gorilla) glue is messy but works well and foams to fill the gap. A bit of give is not a huge problem, and you can live with it.

If your motor is spinning freely without notchiness or roughness it might be the ESC. If there is noise or notchiness, I would suspect the motor. Is your shaft straight? Spin the prop by hand and look down on the spinner. It shouldn't wobble as it spins.

hi

i will definatly beef up the motor mounts

the motor does spin freely, and the shaft if dead straight

the bit that makes me doubt that its the esc is that i still get power to all the servos and can move all the surfaces.

if the esc does need to be replaced what esc would i need to replace it with and where would i get one from and also where would i get another motor from if that needs replacing.

regards chris

It does sound like your motor might be OK.

I think the drive section of the ESC can fail and leave the UBEC bit working.

You need a 45A Brushless ESC really.. Earlier Wot4 foamys were shipped with a 40A but this is borderline and I believe they upped it to a 45. If you use an 11X7 prop rather than an 11X8 you would probably be OK. The problem is that 45's are rare and 50's cost more.

Check out these or these

This motor is very similar and good value.

My model shop sell these motors for the same price so it might be worth asking in a local model shop.

The ideal would be to try swapping a motor or ESC in order to diagnose the fault.

One thing to try - try unplugging the three wires between the ESC and Motor, and then plug them in again. Could be a bad connection - sometimes causes an odd screaming sound. 

Edited By GrahamC on 09/07/2012 20:52:51

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/07/2012 10:22:57

hi again

have just been searching around to see if i could find another motor that is more powerfull than the standard motor, and came acros this

just want to see if this would be more powefull, or will be less as im not particly sure.

also if anyone can recomend a more powerfull motor please let it be nown.

regard chris

Its about the same as the original, just better quality, if anything the Kv is a bit lower,

if you want something faster your better off getting a different model, wot 4`s have a thick high lift wing etc which causes more drag, being meant for more sport aerobatics its never going to be a speed demon

A mate of mine has one of the skyfun models, which hes replaced the motor for a high kv inrunner and esc on and its ballistic at full throttle, yet slow it down and it will crawl along too, something like that might make a better speedy project ?

hi

so would a hi KV outrunner and beefed up ESC make think roket along ( well as fast as a wot will go)

Like i said earlyer would this motor and ESC up the speed a bit

i have also found this motor, nut on both of the motor descriptions it says that they are heli motors, would these be alright or are they completly the wrong thing.

recards chris

Posted by chris edwards 3 on 14/07/2012 19:22:50:

i have also found this motor, nut on both of the motor descriptions it says that they are heli motors, would these be alright or are they completly the wrong thing.

Definitely to be avoided IMHO, Chris. As you have seen, this is a heli motor and you'll have all sorts of problems trying to fit it to the model. Horses for courses, go for an aero motor.

I haven't got a WOT4 but as CJ says, the choice is a lower Kv with larger prop or a higher Kv, small prop.

Personally, I'd go for the NTM 3536 910Kv suggested by CJ rather than higher Kv - you'll have more prop options with the lower Kv and they'll pull it through the air quickly enough......and CJ has the experience of the combo thumbs up

Pete

It's certainly going to be more powerful. The issue will be - will it fit? It may be too long to fit in the motor mount. Im not sure, and am away at present, so can't measure mine. To be honest the easiest way to get more power from a wot4 foamy is probably to change to a 4 cell battery and keep to a 3536 type motor and bigger ESC. You may need a different prop too.

The other issue you need to consider is that the way the mount is hurried in the foam is adequate-ish for the standard setup, and will need attention eventually. However if you increase the power.....

I'm inclined to think its the wrong airframe for much more power. If you do go down this road watch out for flutter on your control surfaces etc and of course CofG issues.

I've had a quick look, and I wonder if this with 4 cells. and appropriate prop and ESC might be easier as iit is the same physical size and weight [near enough] to the stock motor.

That said, I have to say, I wonder if you might be better off, if you are buying a new motor, battry and ESC anyway to get yourself a WOT4 ARFT E balsa version. Its less likely to disintegrate when you go wide open throttle.

I've had flutter on my foamy with the stock set up, and the rudder (fortunately - not the elevator) let go.

hi graham

i will probable upgrade the motor to the one i found, BUT will take into acount all that you have said about the motor mount, CofG and the control flutter.

i am going to beef up the motor mount as it got damaged in the dead stick landing.

regards chris

p.s if i end up with a big pile of foam on the floor i will know that i should have listend to you smiley