Hi there Mart

Thankyou for that. Well I tried it but it just cries.

I tried to get it into programming mode, but eventually gave up..

I've re installed the original 30 amp Volantex managed to set that up and brake is set. All is well and ready for next flight.

Maybe I got a faulty ESC from HK.????

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Advert

Posted by Bruce Austin on 27/11/2014 15:28:50:

I've re installed the original 30 amp Volantex managed to set that up and brake is set. All is well and ready for next flight.

Bruce if you have a look at the specs for that motor the max current is 30A so I would be worried about burning it out. The ESC is also under rated for the Volantex motor as well which has a max 35A.

Rob

If you're using the supplied prop which I'd expect to be around the 9x6 - 10x6 size, I'd be surprised if you were drawing more than 20A - have you bought yourself a wattmeter yet, Bruce?smile

Now you've swapped out the ESC and the problem appears to be cured, and in the absence of a re-calibration of the throttle curing it, have a look at the bullet connectors on the motor side of the suspect ESC. A bad connection can be the cause of stuttering or rough running. Re-soldering the joints may resolve it....

Pete

ps You mention giving up on programming the ESC - confirming the settings is essential, paricularly the timing. Setting the ESC toi high timing might also cure the issue. Have you got a link to the HK ESC? We might be able to help with getting into the programming menu...

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 27/11/2014 18:01:52

Hi Pete.

The first thing I tried was the re calibration of the throttle, but it just cried with no effect on the motor.

I only bought the 35amp ESC recently and it has only had three batteries through it , so it's not like my other "tried and trusted" well used items. Bit of a mystery!!!

All the control surfaces operate as normal, so it can't be the RX

Prior to that, at very low throttle it was chirping and the motor would judder slightly one way then the other. Then, with slight increase on the stick the motor would turn the correct direction, right up to full stick, Close the throttle the motor stopped seemed ok no smells, no magic smoke. But then after that it wouldn't run the motor.

The motor is fine and now runs with the new ESC, so it's definitely not the motor

Now with the other 30A esc fitted it arms correctly all seems correct, and no peculiar noises

Running the supplied prop, with 2836 1000k motor on 2200 3s 25c, pulls 19amps at full throttle burst on the bench.

I'll pull back the sleeves on the problem ESC connectors to check them out, but they do feel tight, and don't have a hot burnt look, but we'll see in the morning.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hi Pete Here's the link for the problem ESC

H-KING 35A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller (UK Warehouse)

Here's a newbie question

Now that its out of the plane, do I still need to connect it to a motor for bench testing and set up, to pick up the programming tones?.

Also once an esc is set up for one motor or plane, will it still operate correctly if coupled with a different but compatible motor, or do we have to do a new set up for each new application?

Go With the Flow

Bruce

The volume issue isn't one I've encountered. Looking at the product page for that ESC, it would seem that all the settings are pre-installed and there isn't a programming option. That means that fine-tuning any variables isn't an option and, just as importantly, it doesn't state whether the brake is set , which is essential for any glider.

That ESC may have to go into your spares box and you'll only know if it suits any other motor by trial and error.

It's always worth examining the specs carefully to see if the parameters can be set manually or with a program card and I tend to buy those for which I already have the relevant card. You live and learn!teeth 2

Pete

Posted by Bruce Austin on 28/11/2014 10:42:33:

Thank you for that Wolston Flyer.

Then here's another symptom for this problem ESC. Sometimes when first connecting the battery the tones were quite faint, and then if disconnected and then reconnected, the volume of the tones would be normal !!!!!

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Return it Bruce. As it's a recent purchase, there should be no problem for them to replace it. face 1 thumbs up

Posted by Bruce Austin on 28/11/2014 10:42:33:

Then here's another symptom for this problem ESC. Sometimes when first connecting the battery the tones were quite faint, and then if disconnected and then reconnected, the volume of the tones would be normal !!!!!

Mmmm I wonder if this might be a clue.....if there is a poorly soldered joint here between the wire (either on the motor or the ESC) & the connector then might this cause the lower volume tones I wonder?

Motor leads are often enamelled & its the devils own job to get the enamel off fully.....this can cause a very poor soldered joint if the enamel contaminates the soldered joint....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys Thank you for the thoughts on that misbehaving ESC. I have set it to one side for a "rainy day"

I have been flying my new Phoenix 1600 with great success. I have to admit to a couple of minor mods to get it to my own liking and style.

1 I took out the 41 gram weight hidden under the battery tray.

2 Blenderm tape on all the hinges

3 C of G is now sitting at 83 mm from leading edge. Might yet squeeze another 2 or 3 mm , but that is a finer detail for another day! I am able to use zippy 1800 or 2200 lipos tucked under the wing almost completely off the rear of the battery tray. I am using that clever but simple idea of the velcro backed ruler to reach the battery in and out of that rearward location.

4 Thanks to Pete's suggested motor with 4mm shaft, I am driving the standard 10X 6 folder with a "propdrive 2836 1000kv outrunner. This works very well.

5 I decided to live without the flaps in the meantime and have kept the flap moulding on the wing intact for strength.

6 I did add a little reinforcing to the bottom of the rudder using 2mm carbon rod pins.

7 The decalage!!!! For the maiden this plane just wanted to loop at any hint of full throttle

Well I set this up on the bench and after checking it out decided to lift the elevator leading edge by 2mm, I thought it might need even more, but settled on this for the second maiden.

This showed a marked improvement but still not right.

Back to the bench and insert another 1 mm (now 3mm).

Next flight this is very close to being right. I suspect that another half mm might be spot on, but this is good enough to get some proper stick time.

Now had two good afternoons in 4mph breezes and today in 8mph light wind.

Landing without flaps is doable on open fields.

Am able to get 35 to 45 minutes flight from 4 minutes throttle/ battery timer from the 2200 zippy with 10 to 15% left in the lipos. This 1600 now floats like a bird!!! Where I fly, we have Red Kites around. They like to come around and investigate and they do fly with the Phoenix.

As a 70 year old Newbie from 15 months ago, I am having a ball and got my A certificate Silent flight electric two months ago.

Having a ball! I'll say!!!

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hi Guys, Bruce here again.

PK 1600 EARLY WARNING HEADS UP.

Out in the winds this afternoon, flying the PK 1600 was great fun with the Red Kites on some slopes.

Oh this Phoenix flies sooooo nice!!!

Landing was a serious challenge (for me) in the low level turbulence.

REASON FOR THIS POST, is to raise awareness of a potential problem on that ply stiffener at the outer ends of the 1600 wings.

I did a cartwheel landing and noticed that I had cracked the ply spar on one of the wings. (My inexperience in turbulent weather).

Post mortem removal of that 28cm ply spar shows that there is not much glue used! Actually NONE along the bottom of the groove and only three dabs here and there along the sides of the ply. Shame really, because that 3mm ply should be ok if glued properly.

I am going to replace it, and the other one with a 4mm solid carbon spar which I just happen to have available.

There's no actual damage to the foam, lucky for me.

This bird is really such great fun to fly, so it won't take long to get her aloft again.

Now I must get some sloping practice on the simulator, with some turbulence, for landing practice.

Hmmmmmm thinking that my T6J may just have some limitations for flap landings.

I am working my way back trough this entire thread to check out the options. Flicking switches with half frozen fingers doesn't really feel that practical. I need the throttle stick for the motor. Hmmmmm.

I must admit to casting eyes in the Taranis direction.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year Guys and Dolls.

Hope Santa brought all the right things!

I'm still flying the P 1600 with the previously mentioned minor Mods.

Everything is behaving well. Volantex 30 amp ESC no problem.

Pete's recommended Propdrive 2836 1000kv does the job very well. Thank you Pete.

The best is that with the 3mm decelage adjustment to raise the stab to 0 degrees just works so well.

Great glides! Feeling my way into slope soaring with 15mph winds has been great fun, but I am thankfull for the throttle back up to save the long walks!!!

Had a good fly with the Red kites on the slope. They are a great warning indicator for where the turbulence is. I can really really recommend the Phoenix 1600.

I am using Zippy 3S 1800s and 2200s which also work well in my P2K.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hey there Chuck

You have to get that P1600 airworthy!

I was out this afternoon, trying out some basic slope soaring together with the Red Kites. Their wing span is about the same, and don't seem the least bit intimidated. They come over and fly with the P 1600. They are not the least bit aggressive, just curious about this strange bird.

They are a great incentive for me getting to grips with this slope soaring.caper. Somebody said that it is addictive. I'm afraid that they are absolutely right about that!

Go With the Flow

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chuck

I was out in 3 degrees and bright sunshine with the P 1600 a couple of days ago. I used three 1800 3S and got between 40 minutes and 52 minute on 4 minutes of power from each of the three lipos. Three hours of fun that afternoon.On the longer flight, I, (and the Kites) got a pocket of thermal running parallel with the busy M40 at around 300ft. with a gentle wind of around 4mph.

Great fun

Go With the Flow

Bruce