September 2012 mag

Doug Ireland

I have started a built on a sig 1/6th scale cub and there are discrepancies on the plan 1mm here 1/16th of an inch there, not to mention the great instructions that come with the kit. So problems do happen and as modellers, using the greyish jelly like stuff between ears we can try to overcome problems that present us.

These guys from RCME try to inspire us with free plans, how toos, and have you seen this type of model magazine, and im grateful for any free plan too. Don't put holes in their wings.

Experiments allways work, but not with the outcome we expect.

get up there from bbc.

Advert

1 mm here and there can be accounted for by paper distortion and stretching or shrinking.

A set of ribs, some too long and some too short? A 1/4" extra on a former? 3 ribs 3/8" too short out of a set? Holes completely in the wrong place? No, I don't think so.

Now I agree modellers can solve the problems but I do find it irritating when my careful work is changed because then people blame ME and I do not like being blamed when it is NOT my fault.

Hi Peter,

To be honest I at first was kinda surprised that they would be able to get the plan of the Corby on only 2 sides of a normal free plan size , because in my cad file the drawing of the fuse with parts and wing with parts was much bigger. I gess a reduction to 74% makes things much easierwink.

That some lines have diviation could have happend when my drawing was set over to a cad file because I normaly make my drawing in Rhino 3D which can be converted to Cad, I do send a Rhino file and a Cad DXF file but some diviation with the arc line can happen I gess.

Have not yet checked the parts if they are correct, I gess most of the modellers who will be building the Corby will go for the RBC cnc set, because the cutting is a lot of work and a cnc set makes life of a modeller so much easier.

I also can say that the cnc set is correct because my protomodels are always build from a cnc set made by RBC so there will be no problem building the model , you can even build the model from the smaller drawing because you only need to know where the parts should go a full size plan is not really needed for the build itself and the cnc set with vacuum parts is already available.

The Corby at 74% will also make a great model with a wingspan of almost 1 mtr but sorry no cnc parts or vacuum parts , would be nice though to see both Corby's flying.

Ton

To Peter Miller and Ton Van Munsteren I have not purchased my magazine yet so I didn't realise the problem was as bad, the more i read into it the more i am leaning toward your side of the fence. I hope the guys at the printers can sort it out; didnt a similar problem happen with a Tony Nijuis plan and the "mag" replaced any returned plans? Typhoon I think? don't quote me on that though.

I hope they fix it because i would like to build from this plan.

bbc.

bbc

Although this a little of a problem for RCME for me its a sort of fun because the Corby can now be build in two sizescool.

For the 52" version the parts can be ordered by RBC or Puffin and the model can be build even using the smaller drawing because of the construction with slots a full sizes drawing is not really needed when using cnc parts and Iam here on the forum to help in any way I can.

We are working on how to go with the correct 100% drawing for the modellers who like to build the 100% version with cutting there own parts or with a cnc parts set and will come back on that.

For the smaller 40" Corby build from the free plan, we are discussing making new moulds for vacuum parts and a cnc parts set with the materials and thickness adjusted for the smaller model.

Iam sure we will fix this problem and if needed I will even build the smaller version on the forum to show how its done, so please do get that publication because within 1 or 2 weeks we have fixed the problem and you can start that build of the smaller Corby which will make a great model for 3 cell 2200lipo pack.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 26/07/2012 14:17:57

Although I don't find getting plans enlarged at my local copy shop a problem I rather liked the 40in span version. I am sure both sizes will be popular although having a CNC wood pack would naturally help if one wanted to build the smaller version. Either way a cracking design Ton, I am surprised Peter hasn't done this one before!

Piers.

I picked up my september issue yesterday and started to thumb through it. I know we are falling on hard times. Hell my business has seen a 40% decrese over last year and last year wasn't great. Anyhow, it sounds as if our faithful editor is telling us to put our pecious models in mortal peril just so we can keep the LMS in business. I understand that we should all get better at flying and landing in windier/ wetter conditions than most of us do but to extend ourselves so that we can possibly risk damage and therefore have to make another purchase in order to keep business afloat? I'm sure everyone would like to keep those prangs to a minimum though.

I tend to make purchases weekly. Generally for things I don't even need and my LMS sees me monthly. I do agree lets try to keep business in business and buy local but not at the cost of your beloved models.

I was real interested in the free plan this month but disapointed in the size reduction as well as the wing build that has turned me off. I think it looks cracker though.

2 cents

Edited By Shane Sunday on 28/07/2012 10:20:12

I LOVE Mr Whikkater's shed nonsense and can't get enough of it! His style of writing is amusing and inventive, by contrast with some others, and as a non-engineer and incipient builder, I find it useful and educational. If Alex ever goes, so does my subscription.

Hellcat

You said you were a "non engineer" and liked the AW article . Well ,as a qualified mechanical engineer (Rolls Royce -Aero engine division -Derby) I find his articles pathetic in content and just so far away from proper workshop practice .OK for 5 year olds starting out with a DIY attitude from their mothers

Grumpy but knowledgeable Myron

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 28/07/2012 19:32:33:

Hellcat

You said you were a "non engineer" and liked the AW article . Well ,as a qualified mechanical engineer (Rolls Royce -Aero engine division -Derby) I find his articles pathetic in content and just so far away from proper workshop practice .OK for 5 year olds starting out with a DIY attitude from their mothers

Oooh, saucer of milk? Miaow!

Well that is presumably Hellcat's entire point: he can relate to what AW is doing because that is a level he (and quite a lot of other modellers) can more easily emulate at home as opposed to serving an apprenticeship or studying engineering and then working in the high tech industry.

On another point: Why is the A in Winkie Wankie asterisked out? Surely no one here would be offended by the remote connotation of onanism, even if it did fool anybody. And if you were, you are (a) very immature, and (b) actively looking for silly things to get uptight and complain about. I can think of several words that, when taken out of context are far ruder. For example... (censored).

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 29/07/2012 11:42:19:
Posted by Myron Beaumont on 28/07/2012 19:3

On another point: Why is the A in Winkie Wankie asterisked out? Surely no one here would be offended by the remote connotation of onanism, even if it did fool anybody. And if you were, you are (a) very immature, and (b) actively looking for silly things to get uptight and complain about. I can think of several words that, when taken out of context are far ruder. For example... (censored).

I always wondered that, and apparently you cant use asterisks here in case it offends

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 28/07/2012 19:32:33:

Hellcat

You don't need to be a qualified mechanical engineer to splash out £300 (min) on a Router and router table to produce Alex's balsa LE strips 'professionally'. But that would be extravagant and beyond the means of many if that is all you want the router for. Hence AW 'amateur' yet practical approach of utilising his pillar drill and a suitable guide. As for 'proper workshop practise' that is down to the individual but a router table or AW's lash up are both potentially hazardous without due caution. I am sure AW will be careful!

I appreciate AW's workshop ramblings. His articles are light hearted and fun which is what this hobby is all about in my book. Sadly one or too people take it all a bit too seriously for my liking. And when I say, 'light hearted' that is not to say that I don't take safety seriously.

What free gift? I have been subscribing for three years and have not

seen hide nor hair of a free gift. I subscribed because over here my

local Barnes & Nobel did not get that many copies and if you did

not time it right so you got a copy, Tough.

Denny