PSS F-16

David Gilder

A few months ago, Matt Jones very kindly gave me an F16 model that he had bought of ebay approx 7 years ago, but due to other projects had never been finished.

It had been bought with the intention of finishing it for PSS.

So after a bit of work and some painting, Its nearly finished.

So here are a few pics!!

Looking to do the maiden flight at the PSSA Lleyn Weekend 11/12 August!

100_0549.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0553.jpg

100_0550.jpg

100_0551.jpg

I am working on making an exhaust cone for the tail end as this will finish the model perfectly.

For those of you wondering, The paint sceme is that of the Royal Netherlands Display Team F16 from 2001.

Hope you like it!!!!!

Dave

smiley

Well I decided to sort out the electrics today!!

Bound the reciever, waggled the sticks, and....................................question

Only one surface moved!!!!????

Removed the non working servo and it then miraculously started to work again but did sound rough!!

So have decided to remove both servos and replace with new ones! Cant risk a failure in the air!!

Should get that done tomorrow then will post a final finished pic!!

• 2 weeks later...

So!

Took the model to the Lleyn PSSA Meeting and threw her off the edge!!

She flew for approx 6 seconds due to a deffinate lack of roll control from the tailerons. Pitch wasnt a problem!!

So the plan now is to remove the last 3/4 inch of the T.E. and put in some proper Ailerons!

Will keep you posted.... Untill then, Heres a pic of the model and me from the weekend!!

Edited By David Gilder on 18/08/2012 22:46:20

Matt - I had been looking at the rudder and thinking it was a little small. I'll strip the fin back and do some cutting and gluing this week - I might even just cut a fresh fin, and start from scratch. The elevator may get the same treatment!

I think I'm also going to do some butchery to the nose and make it suited to fit an electric assistance pod, or a pure glider nose.

And back to the F16.

Let me know when she is ready for a post modification maiden Dave and I'll chuck her for you.

OK, going to do the rudder at double size (biggest I can do from Balsa in stock) and elevator at 2 and a bit, again due to available material.

Nose plan is developed, but won't be doing it til surfaces are done - need better weather now - sanding only allowed outside.

• 4 months later...

Hi Mad.

As Matt has already mentioned, I added Ailerons to mine! When I say "added", what I actually did was to cut off the 3/4 inch of the T.E. I then inserted balsa length into the wing to strengthen and give somewhere to put the hinges into. The Aileron I had removed was then filled with T.E. Balsa to give also give it strength, rigidity, and like before, somewhere for the hinges to locate!

This was all put back together and "Bobs your Uncle!"

When I first attempted to fly the model on Tailerons only, the model had fantastic pitch authority, however, the roll was next to non existant!!! (that flight lasted about 3 seconds!!)

With the Aileron adaptation, the model flys brilliantly, although it really is a little rocket!!

I have found that on this model, you really dont need much control surface movement.. 7mm+- is more than enough and will give the model a very good roll rate!

It would be great to see yours if you can pop a picture on here!

Hope that helps.

Dave