UMX Gee Bee

Tim Kearsley

I guess it is a bit late now, but if you took a bearing, on a object on the horizon (or near) and one behind you, walk this line. When objects get in the way, as they unerringly do when walking this line, it is easy getting back on by resighting behind and in front.

I lost my model on Sundays into one of two wheat fields. I walked the line without success. Then got my transmitter, back on the line, I found it within 3 minutes. It was on the line, I just could not see it.

Others who helped in the search were miles out where they thought it had gone in, both distance and direction.

But Turnigy/Tower pro servos and hear your model from up to 100 yards, better than any beeper

Advert

One advantage of 35mhz over 2.4ghz is that when you landed out you could lay you tx on the floor (with something underneath it to appease the BMFA) with the aerial pointing exactly in the direction of the "landing". Short 2.4Ghz stubs don't work quite so well :D

I lost my 120 SR the other day after getting disorientated at height in the dusk. I found it with the stick wiggling method but it was surprisingly difficult even then. I would have had absolutely no chance had the little heli not made some noises when commanded...

I would suggest you walk in and find the model, tread carefully and the crop will still be harvestable. Combine harvesters are designed to reach crop low to the ground so you will be fine and i am sure the farmer would not be happy if a UMX Gee Bee caused the downfall of his expensive harvester so go for it. But do be careful.

I remember when lipos were new, we were concerned to fly them over ripe crob because of the fire risk. I guess we're just complacent now.

I agree with will F thoug. A combine ingesting a lipo battery could cause a lot of damage. You bending a few stalks will cost pennies (so long as you don't flatten the lot in the process)