Kids forgotten their sandwiches?

I've just seen this item on the website of our freinds in China.

Quite an amazing spec, a glimpse of something more affordable in the future maybe?

When I saw it would go to any point that you click on Google earth, I wondered what use we could find for it?

Hence the rather daft suggestion in the title, to take the kids sandwiches to school when they'd forgotten them.

Let's not get into explosive payloads or anything else dangerous. What could we use this for that would be safe and useful? I guess duration/range will be the limitation.

Obviously CAA regs and various laws of the land will probably exclude most ideas, so for the sake of the discussion, let's ignore those too.

Advert

Just picked up on this one, with a great deal of interest.

I am a member of a search and rescue organisation (sorry no names until I am given permission) as well as a modeller and I have been looking at the idea of a multicopter with an infrared imaging system to help us locate missing people, this looks like it may handle a lot of our positioning requirements. Will investigate further when time (and sobriety) allows.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 10/08/2012 23:20:36:

It does sort of defeat the object of why we do this doesn't it Ian?

Still, very interesting technolgy.

Oh yes I agree. Joking aside, the technology and the potential of it is fantastic. Interesting too that in the USA commercial use of drones etc is illegal and I do wonder if it would ever really be safe to let such devices out on their own.

Defeat the object? Yes, it does rather. Many years ago we used to give model flying displays at the Southampton Show. The models, plus others not flown, were in our display tent. A visitor (turned out he worked for Westand Helicopters) looked at several of our helis and said something on the lines of "You could automate all the stabilisaion and so on and they would not be so hard to fly." One of us, not me, replied "And we had just as well let a computer do it all and not bother to get up in the morning."

Odd that the USA ban the use of commercial drones but are very keen to use the things on any other country they happen to disagree with. Another one "We know they have weapons of mass destruction. We have got copies of our invoices to prove it."

Chris,

Yes. I was merely pointing out the dichotomy in US behavior. The second part was supposed to be a joke.

A year or so ago there was a review of one of these things, I believe by Robbe, but am not sure, for conventional model helicopters. They used a German 90 sized electric 'Joker' heli in the review. It had a 'come home' function. You could command it, switch your transmitter off, or program it a set time, and it would automatically return to its start point and take up a hover at a height you had set, or autoland if you wanted. I was quite tempted until I saw the price.

• 2 weeks later...