Curare Build

Advert

Martin, you might want to remove both your registration and mobile number from your posts for your own security  - there are some strange people about who abuse these sort of things.

I'm intrigued by your pipe - it looks almost as though it's got two outlets, one blocked off at the back plus one on the side? Also you u/c legs look very rigid, do you ever fly from grass with that setup? I've never tried a setup without a spring loop in the legs.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/08/2012 11:01:57

Hi Bob,

Took your advice thanks.

The rear end of the pipe just has a screw which must hold it together-new one on me as well but I bought it with the motor. It also has a tube within a tube at the outlet which puzzles me.

I never now use spring loops on retracts as they just cause them to bend back on take off from wet grass resulting in a stuck u/c. Don`t know why I ever did. Just use thicker wire. Oh to be able to fly from tarmac again.

Martin.

I think that's a 'Genesis' outlet Martin. I can only imagine it is a form of restrictor to smooth the exhaust pulses on their way out. They are on pipes from both Weston UK and Just Engines.

As for the legs, springs are a pain at times but I'd worry about ripping out the retracts with some of my landings if they weren't thereblush

The stress on take-off is backwards and on landing upwards so the springs do nothing at that time. It has surprised me a couple of times when I have had to do a belly landing that the legs were bent back. Must be that the force of a high speed take-off causes more bending than a usually much lower speed landing.

Martin

These loops on U/C legs are a thoroughly ineffective design. They only do it because it is simple and cheap. It puts all the bending load (and there is a lot) on the U/C mechanism. And the U/C leg, after a hard landing or a grass takeoff, never returns to its proper position, you have to 'adjust' the leg yet again. Even more often if you have doors attached to the leg.

Leaving the loops out makes the load on the mechanism and its mount even higher, though you may 'get away' with it. .

The vertical loads, on take off or landing, are so small compared to the bending loads that they can be completely ignored - see the way the U/C block breaks on all these naff ARTFs. Backwards, not upwards. on landing, not takeoff, so the bending load is higher on landing, though of course there are loads on takeoff too. Not that 'which is the highest' really matters, as you have to deal with the highest anyway.

So I thought about it. On my Topflite Spitfire I mounted the U/C mechanisms each on  its own strong plywood plate hinged to the main spar and free at the rear, between stops. Between the plate and the top stop is a strong spring (two, side by side if you can't find a single one strong enough - they have to be stronger than you might think). The U/C leg can move back under stress by about 2 1/2 inches but instantly returns to its exact proper forward position when the load is removed. Not difficult to do - the stops are mounted in much the same way as you mount regular U/C mounting blocks, except one above the other rather than horizontal, and its hinge is a 'regular' one from B&Q. Join the blocks together so the springs are not trying to split the ribs or tear out of the foam all the time. Particularly useful on grass. You can do it on a noseleg too. Did it on my Super Star.

Did the same on my DH88 Comet racer twin too. That has 'backwards and forwards' retracts.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 27/08/2012 04:56:36

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 27/08/2012 05:00:01

Hello Guys,

I´m new in this forum. I used to fly my Curare back in the 80's. It was very nice to read these post and remember the "Golden Years of Pattern Flight". I´m thinking in building a new Curare and have fun again with this nice plane. I'm attaching a photograph of my first Curare wich uses a Webra 61 Speed engine with a Dynamix carburator and the tuned pipe was installed along the fuselage right side. My second Curare used a powerful, but heavier Supertigre X61 Rear Exhaust engine, but with internal modifications were necessary to Keep the CG in the right place.

See you!

Curare_Omar_Hazbon

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer to have a servo close to the elevators ie no long control rod. I know its not to plan, but I dont have 1970's servo anyway nor a Webra Speed 61.

This is a bit tricky on this model, because of the anhedral on the tail. The geometry is not suitable for a single servo, so I've had to use 2. The servos are Savox SH-0257. They have over 2Kg torque each so should be OK.

They are positioned each side one with an arm up and the other with the arm down so the take off is in the same place for each elevator half. There will be a ply plate to support the servo.

Wings arrived from Foamwings. Barry has done a superb job with these. Its going to be a real shame to cut into them.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Those look nice wings. Mine are homespun and balsa skinned so yours may turn out lighter. My wing with pipe attached weighs 3.2lb all up.

I would watch out for the CG position with those rear mounted servos though as I see that you are using the originanal type of construction with loads of 1" triangular. Mine is just a hollowed foam top deck and uses forward mounted servos. Having said that I did need to add tail weight.

The complete fus. weighs 5.4lb.

Good luck with your build,

Martin