Newsnight is about unmanned drones -10.30 BBC 2

Advert

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 30/08/2012 23:19:50:

well, very interesting, but ones things clear, call them drones, call them models, but the public has no idea that there are aprox 50 thousand potential drone flyers in the uk, they simply dont know we exist!!

Thats my point ...

The basic difference between drones and models is that drones are tools to carry out a (Paying) mission, and models are for recreational pursuits.

We fly drones for target work that if you fitted undercart and a rudder you could fly them as model planes so there is little/ no difference between some drones and models.

Edited By Ady Hayward on 31/08/2012 05:50:29

Kc

They had Prof Kevin Warwick from Reading University and Prof Noel Sharkey from Sheffield as guests.

A bit of footage of military drones being tested in Wales and the potential for this to expand as an industry in the UK. Comments from people that live near to where the drones are tested saying they are too loud and they worry about one crashing into their house.

There was a bit of a discussion about privacy issues. Especially bringing up the idea of the police using drones to "spy" on people for preventing anti-social crime and at protests etc. It was highlighted that anybody can buy a "drone" from Amazon (Parrot AR Drone) and use it to spy in their neighbours windows etc.

Also highlighted that drones can be used by farmers to monitor fields of crops rather than using expensive helicopters, especially in the USA wheat belt.

No mention at all of the UK RC community flying model planes, quadcopters and helis from a field near you every week.

They had a small(ish) quadcopter in the studio that hovered about a couple of times but it appeared to have camera problems as the onboard video was very bad quality (probably all of the radio mics and TV gear in use in the studio causing problems). They did say it looked like a toy that a kid could almost build from a kit.

I hope this sums it all up for you. I don't think I missed anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We in Australia had a more extensive show about drones on the( ABC aussie version of BBC) show called Foreign Correspondent- Story called (USA-Rise of the machines.) they visited a trade fair in parts and names of Lockheed Martin, Boeing etc were prominent on the side of many drones, there was also a surveillance drone that could if decided be armed as a kamakazi mid flight. 30 Minutes run time.

If I new how to do the link i would.