1/4 scale nieuport 11

BernieNUFC

I have just ordered this kit as i need something to keep me occupied a bit longer than a heli kit.

Should be entertaining to say the least as i have not done a tremendous amount of wood work, that said i am looking forward to it.

I tried to search for any builds to see f there were any tips before i start and to read up about the engine as i fancy the 23cc style.

If anyone has any pointers or links i would be most grateful

Malc

Advert

Malc,

I'm about 95% finished on my 1/4 scale Balsa USA Neiuport 11. I'll get some updated pictures on here, now that she has been finished, covered and markings painted on, then weathered. Below is as she was about a month ago. All i need to do, prior to getting here ready for her maiden flight, is finish the undercarriage, fit the reciever and RX battery, tidy and fix all the cabies, check CG and throws.

Mine is powered by an RCGF 26cc petrol, with a custom muffler from Bisson. Covered in 10m of linin solartex and painted to represent a british fleet air arm aircraft.

Ask any questions you like.

100_2310[1].jpg

FAA Scheme

Chris

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 20/09/2012 21:01:45

Jeff,

Oh yes! Undercarriage to finish, more stencilling (decals are painted on), pilot is currently in training and about to go under the surgeon's knifedevil. After that some weathering, some rigging and more detail.

In the meantime, I really need to look to maiden her sometime in the next month weather permitting. Bit of a pain here in Germany, you are not allowed to fly on Sunday!

Not sure if i want to paint the aluminium on the side near the cowl and checks. It looks quite nice bare, although i know it should be painted the same colour as the linin.

Malc,

Its a fairly easy and relatively quick build, of course now its covered, it will take time to finish to a scale-like standard.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Posted by Christian Ackroyd on 20/09/2012 21:00:56:

Ask any questions you like.

Chris

Hi Chris

Do you have any pictures of your elevater assemly?

Did you use the dowel and make a 1 peice or did you split it?

i ask as i am not sure how to secure the dowel properly to make a secure joint.

cheers

malc

• 2 months later...

Have not been able to do much as trying to get house sold, but i have grabbed a little me time.

So its panic time now as i cannot understand why this is so far out, it was perfect on the plans when i built the sides, the front part where the crutch is, is spot on, so why am i so far out????

On USA forum i was given a tip to pack it out, Chris did youhave this?

img_1287.jpg

Bernie,

Don't worry, mine came out exactly the same. If i recall, there is a note in the manual that talk about the plan not been 100%, so don't worry if when you build the kit, its not quite an exact fit over the plans.

If i remember, I packed it out a bit before adding the hardwood part for the brass rudder hinge sleave.

Mine is now completely finished. Lot of weathering like Jeff suggested, cockpit edging and trimming, pilot with obligitory scarf etc. Just need a nice no wind, spring type day to maiden. Besides, its about 3rd in line for maiden at the minute. I also feel i need to get the petrol engine running a bit sweeter first!