Newbie from Langley, Slough

Dave Cummings

Hi All, I have been learning to fly since April/may time this year at The Aldershot model club. I had always been interested in learning to fly since I was about 10 or 11 and seeing models flying round St. Crispins school in Wokingham.

I'm 50 now so it's taken quite sometime but I have had many hobbies over the years and falling off motorbikes at my age doesn't look like a good prospect so I wanted something a little less fraught with danger )

i have a super 60 with ailerons I have been learning with and I got all excited when visiting West London models and went mad a nod bought a DeHavilland Dragon Rapide. After some initial work to get it airworthy again it was flown by a fellow club member and it looked fantastic, something for me to work toward flying one day. I have become a bit obsessed with DeHavilland now though and am researching many of their planes, so will probably be asking lots of questions in the coming months/years

so that's me, look forward to chatting with you all

Dave

Advert

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

Lot's of help here, you only have to ask. Don't forget that asking will generally help many other folk who think their question is daft.

I'm a big fan of DH aircraft too, having a Tiger Moth, a Cirrus Moth and a DH88 Comet. I really fancy a Chipmunk too but I'm not sure when I'll get round to that.

Take your time before having a go with the Dragon Rapide, I'm sure your club mate told you they can really catch out less experienced fliers. But you seem to be approaching things very sensibly, so good luck and have fun.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Dave

a warm welcome to the forum. You join a large and honourable group of 50-something returnees and first-timers fullfilling a long held ambition.

I too love the Dragon Rapide, a gorgous aeroplane, but a bit tricky to fly with all that drag and very pointy wingtips! What model is yours? A kit or plan built?

BEB

Thanks for the welcome guys, Chris, your DH88 is gorgeous, i just looked at the pics, i'm taking it it was made from plan ??

I think i'd like to try making a Hornet or Mosquito and then maybe a Vampire, although as I have never made a model before, maybe I should buy one already made wink

We were very lucky at the weekend as we went to Duxford Air Museum for the day and a Rapide was flying there. Now, for someone who is actually scared of flying, I was very relaxed about flying in a plane that may have been circa 80 years old, but it was fantastic and I loved every minute.

BEB - my model was bought from West London models, but had been built from plan, it is in Blueway livery, i'll post some pics shortly, I hope thumbs up

Thanks Dave

No the DH88 was a Ripmax ARTF. I guess though that it's not all ARTF now, as it's been substantially rebuilt.

If you want to see it's full history, pop DH88 in the forum search box and go to the DH88 thread with my name on it. It's a long thread though, and if you don't want to cry then avoid the beginning. All's well that ends well though If you watch the videos near the end, you'll see the issue with pointy wings!

Posted by Dave Cummings on 04/10/2012 14:17:47:

We were very lucky at the weekend as we went to Duxford Air Museum for the day and a Rapide was flying there. Now, for someone who is actually scared of flying, I was very relaxed about flying in a plane that may have been circa 80 years old, but it was fantastic and I loved every minute.

A "little" while ago I too had a flight in a Rapide. Quite possibly the same one you flew in at Duxford, it's still flying, or at least it was last time I looked (G-AIDL).

Now when I say it was a "little" while ago, when I flew in it, your "circa 80 years old" aircraft was only about 50 years old! teeth 2

At Biggin Hill

Hi Dave youve taken to flying very quickly its the youngster in you.With your instrutor by your side Ive a feeling you will soon be overtaking him,he flies so slowly doesnt he.Next time your there you must have a go with my Travel Air.I thought your take off of the Wot 4 was entertaining, oh,you mean it wasnt deliberate.Thought you were getting back at the owner from a lomg forgotten misdemeanour of his. Look forward to seeing you there soom and congratulations with your rapid progress..May your Junior 60 tale offs be straight ones.

Hi Dave,that Michael forgetful or what.Its a Seagull Swift,they came out 12 months ago or thereabouts.The engine clue is on the side of the engine you had with it,but dont let Mike tempt you with an Evolution.If you were going for a new engine .,an SC 46 would be ideal,and reasonably priced.Look forward to seeing you soon.

Hi Steve, it flew, 3 times, a nice strong engine it was a but tail heavy, did you have any weight in the nose ?? We have added some but it needs some more. It was a bit too tricky for me to fly today, but I did take the super 60 up and managed to land it without a buddy lead, which was quite good, and the fixed tail wheel I've added seems to have cured the takeoff problems we've had, nice and straight down the strip.

lovely day out today too, shame we didn't see you

Really wanted to be there with you to see you fly the Swift.I had a 52 sc 2 stroke in it which probably weighs more than the MDS.I didnt add any weight to the front,and have some if you need any.I was stuck at home waiting for a boiler man and saw a beautiful flying day passing me by.Im glad the Super 60 takes off well now,I wont be able to have a laugh when iyU turns on you now.Tail heavy isnt ever good.