• 1 year later...
Advert

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Tim

Hope you are still monitoring this thread, I'm a bit late to the party.

I'm building up a CS60 with the plans only, and this thread, I have some questions: How much flex is there in your elevator. I've never set a plane up with a control linkage like this before and I find that my elevator is not nearly as rigid as I am used to...usually I can grab and elevator and move it up or down and move the servo back and forth, not possible with this setup. I used a thin music wire in tube up through the fin and out the top as shown in one of the posts. I find it is impossible to hinge the thing such that there is not a point where the music wire has to bend to continue to push or pull to it's extents. I can get a good 6mm either way (more up than down) without any binding but any more and the wire is starting to bend. And then there is the general "flexiness" of the whole thing. What did you use for hinge tape? How much throw do I need?

Thanks

Chris Stephenson

Hi Chris,

Firstly, thanks for following the thread and having a bash at the CS60!

OK, looks like you're using piano wire in a tube for the elevator, yes? That's probably too stiff, and will tend to bind. On the protoype I used a dedicated plastic snake (available from SLEC).

**LINK**

img_1548.jpg

Another alternative might be to use a length of Bowden cable (brake cable from a bicycle) instead.

Let us know how you get on!

tim

My model is pretty much to the point of covering now, just finishing up a few details like the lower chin scoop and landing gear wires. I gotta say Tim, this is a brilliant way to make spats. At first I was gonna find some nice pre-made FG units but decided to give your method a try, beautiful results and not tricky at all. A bandsaw and vertical belt sander move wood around quickly, so the whole process took perhaps a hour. For the upper front and turtle deck sheeting, I cut 1/4" strips of 1/16th balsa and my final results turned out nice and uniform. Once done, I painted some thickened epoxy on the inside to strengthen it and voila! Good form, light and strong.

Oddly enough, I decided not to make my own canopy, opting instead to use one on the shelves of Great Planes for some other plane. It was handy, so why not?

I gotta ask Tim, are you a Star Trek fan? As I look at this model, I see a Kingon Bird-of-prey from the original series...must just be that swept forward wing I guess.

Starting to see the light now, anxious for that first flight.

Chris

Hiya Chris!

Glad to hear that the CS is coming out as you wanted! I agree on the spats - many seem to regard them as a s ource of grief, but i've never had a problem with balsa ones.

Although I loved Star Trek as a kid, the BoT thing had never struck me. Mind you, I do have a liking for swept-forward wings, so maybe it's subliminal?

tim

img_6691.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the final stages now should be covering tomorrow.

Another question if I may, is the CG point shown on the plans for the CS60 at the root of the wing along the fuse, or at the tip of the wing like you did with the Speed Twin?

Looking forward to that first flight now, perhaps next weekend.

Thanks again for such an interesting model Tim.

Chris

Hiya Chris

The CG shown is where the wing meets the fuselage side.

The reason the CG on the Speedtwin was shown at the tip, is that the Speedtwin was a low winger and so it was easier to balance it at the tips as the dihedral 'lifted' the tips vertically to allow the fuselage to balance as a pendulum.

The Clean Sweep is easier.

tim

• 2 weeks later...

First flight today, pics to follow. Tim, I'm curious, did/do you have decalage in your plane? I found I had to add a 1/16" shim just behind the rear horizontal stab mounting screw to get the wing and tail to be leveled the same. Probably I got it a tad off when I glued the vertical into the fuse.

Also, I found I have to slide my battery all the way back to the forward wing mount former for the plane to balance at the CG, and I still had to add 3/4 oz of lead to the tail. The plans and your pics show your battery, which is heavier than mine, several inches forward of where I have to mount mine. I used some thickened epoxy up in the firewall area and floor/battery tray area and probably added weight there. Live and learn I guess, it's strong in any event.

Chris

OK, it's flown. A few minor issues to solve but all in all, it went well. I'll be taking that decalage change I made out. The plane wanted to climb constantly, so much I had to top out my trim. Simple fix, also need to check the balance on my prop/spinner and a couple other small items, but all in all, a nice plane. Thanks again Tim

Chris

Edited By Chris Stephenson on 06/06/2015 22:43:17