Clean Sweep 60

Tim Hooper

Since the original 48" CS flew and was subsequently published, I've received a steady trickle of requests for a larger version. Now that the editorial team has also started in on me, I thought I'd better have a bash at it!

So we're looking at a 60" version to suit a 5S set-up. Besides being a handy size on the flightline, 60" is also deemed to be the largest size that will fit on a freebie plan. That's good enough for me!

I've decided to switch from the 10% aerofoil of the original, and go to a 12% semi-symmetrical section instead. The aluminium wing joiner is going to be replaced by a hardwood joiner - I heard tales that epoxy won't bond to ali as well as it does to wood.

I'd like to make the T-mounted tailplane removable too.

So the crayons are out again, and so far I've pencilled in the general outlines. I've referred back to my original sketch in order to get the proportions right.

tim

Advert

Now I am really interested - the 48" was a great looking model but a tad too small for me and I like the sound of its big brother having a .55 engine up front!

Will this be a free plan or just an addiiton to the plan store

Are there plans for a wood pack etc as well?

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 12/10/2012 11:20:48

Thanks David - that' great but it looks like another project for the forthcoming winter then!surprise

May have to be spring as I am planning on a trad build Supermarine Type 224 after I have assembled the H9 Corsair that is! All with OS 55s marked down for them...where's the flippin piggy bank?smile p

And.....I was forgetting that I quite fancied the Tucano that's leading the 2013 mass build - doh!

Being a subscriber on this forum is getting very dangerous with all the temptation around!

Jon

No pressure then.......smile o

Right, I'm expecting this project to take me up to Crimbo, so it'll be liable a little while after that before it's flight-tested and published. All being well, that is.

What can possible go wrong?

Right, time for a few piccies......

Here's an exciting shot of my notebook and the Profili-generated aerofoils. I'm using an E207 section - whatever that means...

img_1402.jpg

Here's the wing plan. There's an aileron in each panel too!

img_1403.jpg

...and the fuselage plan is quite well advanced...

img_1406.jpg

There's a no-name 4260 600kv motor from Giant Shark (looks like an earlier Turnigy to me, but it's only 20 quid!), an 80A Turnigy ESC and a 5S 4000Mah pack.

img_1399.jpg

Here's the motor, spinner and cell pack being tried for size.

img_1408.jpg

Lee, wouldn't it be possible to work out end templates from the drawn ribs? I've no experience of foam cutting, so any input would be useful!

Mind you, I do need to sort out a moulded canopy on this one, so I'll be reseaching moulding techniques at some stage or other...

tim

So what's odd about starting with the wing skins? On the CS you need the completed wing, bolted to the fus in order to make the upper decking. The wings are built on the lower skins. So the skins come first, OK?

It all makes sense - honest!

Right, after a blissful session at the field, followed by a life or death struggle with a recalcitrant lawn mower, I eventually got back into the workshop for an hour and marked out the lower skins.

img_1438.jpg

Posted by Tim Hooper on 11/10/2012 21:35:47:

So the crayons are out again, and so far I've pencilled in the general outlines. I've referred back to my original sketch in order to get the proportions right.

tim

Tim, are you redrawing it completely then, rather than just upscaling the cad files (then changing the critical bits like spar sizes, sheet thicknesses etc) that the mag presumably still has from the first published version?

Ian,

I don't use CAD, so this is a ground-up redraw from a blank sheet of paper. To be fair, I'm manually taking dimensions from the published plan of the CS48 and increasing them by 125% to get the overall proportions correct. It's a bit of a grind, but it does allow to me to change anything I choose!

Tony, I'm not sure exactly what I'm using to draw on! I came by a roll of thick, semi-translucent tracing paper some time ago and it's served me well. Mind you, it's coming to an end, so I'll be on the look out for some more some time soon!

tim