Clean Sweep 60

Tim Hooper

Advert

Tim ,

if you do not want to use a vac box ,which is very easy to make and can be made from off cuts , from B&Q , seriously use a vac box you will not regret it and once you have done one you will want to do all manor of things with it .

I have not had a lot of success with the pop bottle method , but i have had good results from heating the plastic that you get a family size cake in . around the plug but it does need a helper .

1st off fit a rod into you're plug then put the rod into a vice so that you can push the heated plastic around the plug with both hands , you're helper will be there to heat the plastic with a heat gun while you fold and pull the plastic around the plug , you will need to wear work gloves and you're helper will also need a damp cloth to cool the plastic while you hold it in place .

Good luck with which ever method you chose .

I always point people to this web site on making canopies Mikes.

The gun method really works every time and is well suited to the one off . It is quick, using minimal and variable material. therefore economic..

Although commercial users would probably use the box method, being faster where lots of items are required.

The planking is complete and roughly sanded down. Mind you, there's lots of filler yet to come!

img_1569.jpg

It's important to keep inking in the hatch separation lines whilst sanding. If lost, they're really awkward to find again!

img_1568.jpg

You'll also notice that I've had a skirmish with making a screen for an open-cockpit version, for those who don't want to purchase a moulded canopy. Any thoughts?

img_1565.jpg

Incidentally that's a 1/4 scale pilot in there.  Speaking of the moulded canopy, here's the start of the balsa plug. It's massively over-sized at the moment. No doubt that there's going to be a lot of sawdust produced in the near future....

img_1564.jpg

Edited By Tim Hooper on 23/11/2012 20:57:00

Thanks lads!

BTW Danny, look again at the planks on the rear fuselage. There's a definite herringbone thingie going on there....

CS, thanks for the validation for the open cockpit. It's just an idea that's been kicking around what's left of my mind. MInd you, I do like a pilot - and there'll be no switch on this model. One less thing to go wrong, right?

tim

One of my favourite stories concerns a sculptor being interviewed by a journalist, and being askied just how he sculpted his latest statue of an elephant;

"Easy", said the sculptor, " start with a large block of granite, and simply remove everything that doesn't resemble an elephant........"

Herewith the canopy plug!

Roughly sawn to shape.

img_1572.jpg;

Out with the David plane.

img_1575.jpg

Finished off by Mr Permagrit! The plug has now been treated to a couple of coats of sanding sealer.

img_1576.jpg

At last I've been able cut the hatch free, and then unbolt the wing from the fuselage.

img_1580.jpg

Which left me free to copy Steve Bage's method and to mutilate a mastic gun. This allowed me to wrap a piece of acetate over the mould, and affix the lower edges to a ply baseplate.

Then all I had to do was to waft a heat gun over the acetate, whilst simultaneously cranking the lever to extend the mould into the acetate to take advantage of the softening plastic. A bit fiddly, and took around 20 mins to achieve the form I wanted. Brilliant!

img_1584.jpg

Released from the mould and checked for size on the airframe...

img_1585.jpg

A bit of trimming around the front corners.

img_1587.jpg

img_1588.jpg

Edited By Tim Hooper on 29/11/2012 21:35:09

Looks good!

I suppose you don't need a switch on these washing machine powered models SORRY- electric!wink 2 I use switches with my IC planes because it makes things easier and saves the battery connections.

You should build an IC plane one day! (and I may then build a dishwasher SORRY electric plane, I am too cruel!)

CS (cruel dept)

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 29/11/2012 23:14:50:

You should build an IC plane one day! (and I may then build a dishwasher SORRY electric plane, I am too cruel!)

CS,

I've built many an ic-powered plane in my past! The last one was in 1975 (when I was 17 years old....), and I've moved forwards since then.....wink 2

Just a thought for you to ponder though; the traditional switch is reckoned to be just about the dodgiest link in the chain in the average ic-powered model - especially when subject to handling by castor-oil soaked fingers.

Rich, I'd never seen this method either, until the link was posted on this here thread! Have to love the power of the internet, eh?

tim

IC has come a long way since then...

I would be inclined to disagree about switches, mainly because through 3 generations and many many planes with switches we have never had a failure. The only failures I could think of happening is if the switch is put on the same side as the exhaust and if the connections are not good.

As for castor oil fingers, I don't usually get any oil/fuel on my hands in a session and if I do I have a cloth. I like switches, especially after a battery fell out of our Foam E Wot 4 on landing which does not have a switch!

I still think you should build/design an IC model, even if just a 25 sportster. Best to have a foot in both camps!

CS

CSB there are plenty of people who unashamedly design primarily for IC. Peter Millar being one, you really have a lot of choice.

Electric models are very much capture the Zeit Geist. For many, it is the only way that powered flight is possible. In our clubs case flying of NT property, although IC is permitted on a another NT property near by, this is a consequence that the owner of the state wrote into the transfer deeds, that right.

In the case of electric powered model, conversion is not that difficult. Perhaps a little more robust around the front end. A bay for a fuel tank. Conversion in the opposite direction often takes more thought. A hatch for Lipo access is desirable often. Weight reduction is beneficial. Again doable.

I am very pleased that TH unashamedly designs for a power form which is broadly accepted in most communities.

Keep up the good work Tim

Thank you Gents!

Small, but decisive, progress today. I've made the tailplane mount form 3mm liteplay, with 3mm blindnuts fitted to allow easy removal. After the plate was epoxied to the top of the fin I added some triangle stock beneath to strengthen the joint.

img_1589.jpg

Seems the right time to have a look at the spats! As usual I'm making them from layers of balsa (although there's a liteply lamination on the inner face for attachment pruposes. I found a pair of skinny wheels in Penn Models which will allow for a skinny spat when complete.

img_1590.jpg

Think I should sand it down a bit?

img_1591.jpg