Clean Sweep 60

Tim Hooper

So after a couple of hours work cutting out the ribs, the wing has started to become three-dimensional!

I've laid the lower skins root-to-root, then glued the spars in place, followed by the ribs.

img_1439.jpg

At the centre of the the wing I've added an infill piece. This will be cut in two when I set the dihedral angle, and allows a flat hardwood brace to be fitted. You can see the outline of the brace drawn on the plan.

The holes in the skin and ribs are there for the servo leads. But you knew that anyway, didn't you?

img_1440.jpg

Raising the front edge of the lower skin with scraps of balsa brings the skin in contact with the underside of the ribs. I secured the skin here with medium CA for speed.

img_1442.jpg

img_1443.jpg

The upper spar was added and checked for straightness. The very fronts of the ribs were trimmed back as required to get them level with the edge of the lower skin, after which the 1/2 x 3/4 LE was added.

.....and that's quite enough for one evening!

tim

Advert

So after a splendid day at the LMA show at Gaydon today, I've been able to spend an hour or two on the CS. In particular the wing joiner....

The local woodyard sold me a piece of 1/4" luana hardwood (enough for 2 or 3 joiners) for £1.40. The joiner is in the form of a very shallow 'V', so I cut a template from card using the actual wing as a guide, then cut out the luana to match.

After that I marked out the rear of the joiner thus...

img_1511.jpg

I planed away the shaded portions. This is to allow the joiner to sit back against the main spars. It also serves to avoid having a stress-riser by gently tapering the joiner as it blends into the spar.

img_1513.jpg

Here's the finished item installed in the wing, after the root ribs were also added.

img_1515.jpg

Here's the rear view of the centre section.

img_1516.jpg

So, the next stage is to temporarily add tapered wedges to the underside of the trailing edge, so when the wing is pinned back on the board there's a slight amount of washout induced. The wing is upside-down in this shot, OK?

img_1518.jpg

Here's a tip I picked up from Peter MiIller. With the appropriate panel pinned down to the board (washout included), and the top skin glued/pinned/tasped in place, I piled some old magazines on top to ensure the skin makes full contact with the wing's structure. The magazines spread the load over the maximum area without creating pressure points.

img_1520.jpg

tim

Posted by Lee Smalley on 01/11/2012 13:27:17:
tim if you can draw up a root and tip profile that would be enough......

OK Lee, I'll print out a set of root and tip profiles and add them to the plan!wink 2

Anyway this evening saw the tips rough planed to shape prior to gluing them to the ends of the wings.

img_1524.jpg

img_1526.jpg

Here's the underside showing the concave curve. I used a piece of rough glass paper (wrapped around a piece of tube) to get the initial shape.

I've also cut the ailerons free and bevelled their front edges to allow for top hinging.

img_1527.jpg

At the centre of the trailing edge I've sliced off a portion of the wing and added a bit of infill balsa. This should allow the wing to comfortably fit against a fuselage former.

img_1525.jpg

I do like the Hoener tips. In the past I have tended to avoid them. I had an apparently mistaken notion that more block is required than standard type tips. Viewing the tips you have fabricated, it is apparent that the tips can be constructed using less material than the standard type tips. Standard tips do consume quite a lot of material if they are to be reasonably effective in minimising tip losses, having quite a lot of rake back.

Most impressed!

Tim

I tend to have quite large tips in length, with the objective of getting towards a half ellipse. This approach takes quite a lot of material. Although it should reduce tip losses, it does put some weight where it would be better to have little.

My CS, probably has an extra 6-8" in span over the plan as a consequence.

Your Hoener tips I suspect are at least as effective, ofrvery close. Yet probably are using much less material.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/11/2012 15:34:52

Erf,

Ah, I see what you mean!

Ok, so at the close of today's business.....

The fuselage sides are cut from 1/8 balsa sheet - scarf jointed near the tail. I've found that if I pin them to the board with the top edges adjacent to each other, then even a numpty like me ends up with an opposing pair, and can't build two sides same!

img_1529.jpg

The doublers are cut from firm 3/16 sheet, and there's triangular stock for the bottom edges.

img_1531.jpg

F1, 3, and 4 are cut from 1/8 plywood. I've added a brace across the nosering to give it a bit of strength whilst get the fuselage into some sort of shape.

img_1533.jpg

With one fuselage side pinned to the board, I've added the main formers, weighting them down as they dry overnight.

img_1535.jpg

Here's the start of the 1/4 framework for the fin. Not only does the fin have to bear the stresses imposed by the T-tail, it also has the elevator snake passing inside it up that diagonal slot. I'll skin both sides with 3/32 sheet.

img_1536.jpg

Well, after years of building fuselages over nothing more than a drawn centreline, I've eventually invested in a SLEC fuselage jig! So here's the CS60 being assembled inverted in the jig.

img_1538.jpg

I've also added the wing mounts. There'll be additional balsa and ply reinforcement later.

img_1539.jpg

I've turned the fuselage rightsides-up, and joined the front of the sides together with a scrap of balsa to simulate the nosering. This let me take measurements for the 1/4 ply firewall.

You'll notice that the motor mount isn't central on the firewall. Later I'll add washers under the right hand lugs to force the front of the motr shaft towards the centreline, thus adding a couple of degrees of sidethrust.

The idea is that the alloy crosspiece will stay put in its new home, and the motor itself added later through the nosering.

img_1543.jpg

Here's the firewall (F2) being tried for size.

img_1540.jpg

From the rear.

img_1541.jpg

From the front.

img_1542.jpg

With F2 tacked in place, I shimmed the motor mount on one side to provide the sidethrust, then added the nosering (F1) using the spinner as a guide. There'll be some serious reinforcement later!

img_1545.jpg

Using an awl to pierce through the front wing bolt hole, and into the fuselage mount, I then centred the wing by taking measurements from the TE to the sternpost.

img_1546.jpg

After than the rear bolthole was pierced with another awl, and the position marked on the rear mount plate.

img_1547.jpg

Robin,

The SLEC is a great idea, but is let down a little in its execution.

You get the 90° brackets, some bolts and blind nuts and a self-adhesive grid, which you're supposed to stick onto a flat board.

The major problem is the grid, in that the lines just aren't straight! Not good for taking useful measurements, eh? The second bugbear is that there just aren't enough blindnuts to fill all the holes.

So in the end I drew my own grid on a piece of board, and bought some additional nuts and bolts.

tim

You do not need a SLEC Jig, Oh NO!

What you need is a home made proper jig.

A CS 52 in a HOME MADE JIG.

or in this case a PM Cassuts being set up.

The cost I can here you say? I think about £1.5 for SS cap head screws about £1 for hex head nuts, 50p for washers. The rest found in the garage, felt tips lying about.

Nice work Erf! Where you lead, the rest of us follow.......

So here's today progress;

With the fin skinned on both sides, I was able to thread the elevator snake through it.

img_1548.jpg

Viewed from above, I've added some additional bracing around the wing mounts, together with 6mm blindnuts.

img_1549.jpg

From below, you can see the blindnut on the forward mount, together with the ply undercarriage plate. I'll sheet over the void later!

img_1550.jpg

The fin is glued between the fuselage sides. I've used a 90° set square to make certain that it's vertical.

img_1552.jpg

The top of the fin will be trimmed later so that the top edge is exactly parallel to the top edge of the fuselage side, thus giving 0° incidence to the tailplane.

img_1553.jpg

Here's a general view of the airframe so far. Looks good to me!

img_1556.jpg

img_1557.jpg

Now things get a bit fiddly!

I've added the upper sub-formers to the top of the fuselage, preparatory to planking the whole thing as one unit.

With the wing bolted in place, I protected the top of the centre-section with a layer of polythene. The idea is to build the hatch as part of the top decking, then cut it free afterwards. Only then can I remove the wing.

img_1558.jpg

img_1559.jpg

I've added a frame to the top of the wing (cut from 3/32 sheet) to serve as a base for the hatch when it's cut free.

img_1560.jpg

H4 is cut from 2 layers of 1/8 balsa. There's Sellotape in between the layers so that they don't stick together. Once the planking is finished I should be able to run a knife between them to separate the hatch. The same applies at the front of the hatch (F2/H1).

img_1561.jpg

Tim , Moulding the canopy is the easy part

Trust me ,

I am sure you have watch videos on it , and you don't need me to tell about it , all you really need to do is make sure that you're plug is reasonably smooth and extends to replace some of the fuzz so that you can cut the mould back to the cockpit line .

Plugs can be made out of wood or foam , plastic or glassed foam which is what i do just depends on how many you intend to make .

Another trick Tim is to trim the first one you pull and then pull subsequent canopies over the plug AND the first one. Smooths out some of the imperfections, not that your CDO will allow any of course.

You can borrow my vacbox if it will help ?

10 11 2012 5600 bt hurricane  (large).jpg

I have an A4 frame as well as this smaller A5 one that is shown, the hole at the bottom is for my Hoover wink 2

Cheers

Danny