Trad building - I have tried!

gary watson 1

I know a lot of you will say that building is the bigest and best part of rc flying but i have tried twice to try and build a plane but it just does not happen for me so they have been left in the shed,no patience,i mean we all cant be good builders.My question is is there a firm out there who would build me a plane?

Advert

Yes, but it will cost! Paul (Limey) Rice is good I believe and was recently featured in the mag - April 2012 I think. I believe he has set up in Birkenhead but I don't know the name of the business. He will build models but depending on what you want he might not be cheap. There are others but I don't know of them.

I think the thing about building is that its a gradual experience, I don't wish to be patronising but are you sure you haven't perhaps bit off a bit too much first time with these build? Where they complex? Why not consider restarting with something simpler, build your skills up and then come back to more complex builds? You could do a lot worse than join the 2013 Mass Build. I'm sure if you could get a sucessful build under your belt it would do wonders for your confidence.

BEB

G'day, Gary BEB is correct it will be costly getting someone else building one for you, if you are struggling is there some other modelers in your area that may be able to give you some help?

start with a kit that is basic to build and slowly add to your skills, I learn something new with each build and sometimes we all have to change what is in the instructions or plans. (I read a classic by Nigel Hawes when building Peter Miller's- Volksplane, two good builders with a different way of solving a problem.)

So just take your time, I have models half built in my shed some kit, some built from plans,I pull one out every now and then and do a bit of work on it, if i get too frustrated or run out of bits needed, like covering or servos, I put it away again until have the parts or the enthusiasm, but they are all slowly getting done and i try to keep building an enjoyment.

cheers and good luck.

I’m not sure that anyone should expect to have been born with model building skills, like so much in life it takes time to learn the required expertise, which is one of its attractions for many of us, if it were instant then it would be surely be instantly boring; as with so much else of modern life. I have seen adverts for those that build commercially, but haven’t taken sufficient notice to remember who they are. It seems to me that many of the RTF models available are of a very high standard and ridiculously cheap, have you exhausted that source?

In the old days there were lots and lost of kits and no ARTFs. Now there are few kits but you can buy the parts for most of the plans in RCM&E.

Choose something nice and easy to build for a start. May I suggest Harequin. There is nothing complicated in that one so you would get the basics of assmebly and following a plan.

We all have to learn but the right model makes it easier.

One of the great modellers American Bill Winter, ha d a purple plan. This meant that you had to glue at least one piece of wood to the model every day. That meant that it did progress, even if slowly.

Hi Gary are you a member of a club? if so why not get a fellow member to help with one of the models you have started, or perhaps advise and help on a suitable model.for a first build.

Failing that there may be a member of a local club who would do the build, that way you could watch the build and learn as it progresses.

If you gave your location (nearest Town not address) in your post someone local may be able to help.

Stop making the man feel guilty! in this day and age there is no reason why anyone HAS to have building skills, if it's not your thing, then just enjoy the flying side of the hobby.

For a lot of us, we grew up at a time when there were no ARTFs or RTFs so building was the natural introduction to the hobby and a real requirement in the first place. Nothing wrong with flying ARTFs as long as you are flying.

I'm with Bob C here......no need to build if its not your thing.....most people don't make their own golf clubs before thrashing around at a golf ball after all.

In Ye Olden Dayes we had no choice but to build a model from a kit or plan before we could fly....that's not so now.

And after all...there are many out there who enjoy the building side but don't do much flying.....

Aeromodelling is a broad church & after all it is a hobby...if you're not enjoying it then you're doing something wrong.....thinking

There are a few adverts in the back of the mag for people who will build a model for you....another I know of but have no personal knowledge or experience of their services are Probuild......

No one is trying to make him feel guilty.

Gary has shown a desire to build a model. He has two half built models to prove this. He also wants to know about people building models for him. This proves that he want something different, not the same stuff that everyone else is flying on the field.

We are all trying to encourage him to carry on with his ambition instead of just saying "give up and just buy ARTF."

I agree with everybody! smile

Yeah, there absolutely nothing wrong what-so-ever in assembling ARTF's and flying. Also nothing wrong in getting someone to build a model for you - if you can afford it! But like Peter says, it seems so sad, its a cry for help! Gary clearly has the ambition and desire to build, we're just trying to help him rediscover his mojo and pointing out some alternative paths he might want to explore to realise his ambition.

BEB

PS We ain't 'arassing no one, 'onest Guv! wink 2

unfortunately we are still lumbered with some kits that are really poorly thought out, if you are adept at reading a plan or have built a few trad kits then it is not a problem, and you would even wonder what people are whining about, but if you are new to kit building they are appalling introductions to the art, the instructions are next to useless and some of the parts, even when they are c+C cut are just abysmal, i love kit building and the resurgence in this trad build area is i fear being wasted but still poor examples of how a kit should be made, it really depresses me ...sort of !!

can i point you to Stephens aero kits that micron radio control sell, they are small but brilliant to build, even the wife built one for me as she likes doing jigsaw puzzles, she had it built in an evening and really enjoyed it .... that is how you make a kit

If wood isn't your thing and you still like the idea of creating your own flying machines why not try the depron route. I suppose you could start with one of Tom's excellent Pipe Laggers and from there the sky is literally the limit. From drawing board to flight in hours rather than weeks definitely sounds attractive to me.

Thanks for all your replies, i am learning to fly and am really enjoying it.Ten years ago plus i was looking into flying and bought 2 plane kits cant remember what they are,putting it together was fairly easy but when it came to sanding and cuting some of the fiddly bits i just could not get it right thats not to mention fitting the snakes and servos and the engine and covering ,forget it ,i probably bit of more than i could chew.

I want to stay with electric as a power scource and am looking for something around a 50 inch wingspan so can you suggest a kit that wont have me pulling my hair out,not that i have much left,3 kids and a wife you know it will do that to you lol

Its great to see someone wanting to trad build (nothing against rtf). The thing is to start simple, but do a little research first on things like what adhesives to use where, there is an excellent little book available by our very own Peter Miller called "Designing Model Aircraft", an excellent source of info, but is more biased towards the design side of thinngs, and if i remember right there is a book by Mr Boddington on building models, from simple throught to scale in the same series.

I stand corected if i'm wrong on the latter one, but I'm sure someone here will give you the correct info if I am, but i'm fairly sure i'm right.

The important thing is not let it get to the stage of ripping out the tufts but enjoy it. If you get to a part you are confused about or stuck, ask here, or the net (youtube is great for this) or like i say books, enjoy the learning as well as the building.

The skills WILL come however slowly or fast

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/10/2012 01:24:55

Sadly all the books published by good or great aeromodelers are getting too expensive to republish because of the small market, but thankfully websites and magazines like RCM&E will have articles to help old and new modelers through the grey bits, as we all should try different styles of aeromodeling in our lifetime. REMEMBER the paper aeroplane mum or dad showed us?

Get UP there.

A first model should be simple. There are plenty of good designs about but someone will have to show you Gary how to make basic joints, which is the essence of building. If you are a member of a club, I'm sure that someone would be prepared to spend an evening or two with you to show you the basics.

Suitable kits could include the Tomboy by Falcon or Ben Buckle's Novice which should easily convert to electric power.

Hello Gary, a good very reasonably priced 50" powered glider with excellent flight characteristics is the Hobbyking Bixler and or any other member of the Easy Star genre. They are great for training with the control rods connected to the outward holes on the horns and when you get a bit more confident you can move them in to spice things up a bit. It can either float about at little more than walking pace or scoot around really pretty fast. They are quite robust also and an all round good introduction to RC flying that will grab your interest and enthusiasm for the hobby.

• 1 month later...

I have been following the "tucano build"now be honest if i order the kit will i be able to finish it as i am a complete numpty when it comes to to building anything out of wood. I would be right in saying that it will be more like putting a jigsaw together than actually building it from scratch, what i mean is not much sawing and sanding?

Gary

Hi Gary i would suggest the West wings orion E , its a nearly 2 metre glider and is a really easy build, really nice wood included too, simple plans to follow and easy radio installation, i have 2 here, one is built and flying and one that i started last week, the latter that i may sell due to new bigger build that i just started has taken over,

Look at the West wings kits

Regards

Scott

Edited By scott finnie on 29/11/2012 02:22:36

Are you a member of a club Gary?

If you are, there must be a good builder in the club who could help you with the basic techniques. You only have to ask and don't feel intimidated if a club member builds absolutely superb models; most modellers of this standard are only too willing to help.

Having said that most of us builders do not build to the standards of the Scale Galacticos like Reeves or McDermott but our less-than-perfect models still fly and don't fall apart with the first rough landing.smiley