Fire Fly 2 autogyro build

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

Rich .

Hard setting glues don't generally work to well ,and as you say setting time can be a problem .

The Tri Plane , Blue monster and the Twin Boom and my other foam balsa hybrids were all done with U por , this allows rapid progress if several parts are prepared for glueing .As I am sure you know both components should be thinly coated and allowed to dry for 10 mins or so before joining.The blue foam has a good strength to weight ratio when the thickness is matched to the structural requirements , but is best cut with a hot wire when curved surfaces are called for , straight cuts are best done with a sharp saw, thick sheet or blocks cut well with a full size wood saw . Sanding is best done in straight lines in the same direction using light pressure ,best to wear a mask as the dust does not break down when inhaled .

Using foam for the blade area behind chord max thickness does work well ,in fact I have several sets that are all foam and then sheeted with balsa ....it just leaves sorting out the chord wise cog,but I think the hard wood is needed for big blades .The photo below is the blade set for the Monster Crane Fly .

Will wait to see how your project goes though ,as you have had previous experience with "big ones" and walked away with you head in tact lol.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 17/12/2012 01:50:20

Dave,

I don't think so, there is still quite alot to do.

Managed to get the mast mount in position, the mast will slide in through the top and will be bolted from the underside (I think). Still need to add mre ply and tri stock.

img_1869.jpg

A have a few motors that are about the right size ranging in KV to play with, would like to keep the cell count as low as possible and swing a bigger prop.

img_1870.jpg

Also made a start on the mast, basically the same as its smaller brother except it is faced each side in light ply and an added 10mm carbon fibre tube, should be plenty strong enough and nice and light!

img_1872.jpg

Rich

Dave,

I don't think so, there is still quite alot to do.

Managed to get the mast mount in position, the mast will slide in through the top and will be bolted from the underside (I think). Still need to add mre ply and tri stock.

img_1869.jpg

A have a few motors that are about the right size ranging in KV to play with, would like to keep the cell count as low as possible and swing a bigger prop.

img_1870.jpg

Also made a start on the mast, basically the same as its smaller brother except it is faced each side in light ply and an added 10mm carbon fibre tube, should be plenty strong enough and nice and light!

img_1872.jpg

Rich

Hi chaps, remiss of me not to drop in recently but I've been away and t'office is mad at this time of year.

Wow, very impressive Rich - did you want to start a new thread for it? Let me know thumbs up

Just perusing that motor line-up, would that Power 160 be too much do you think?

Well my Firefly has still only had one flight, mainly due to the bad weather and other distractions so I have just added the final decorative touches in the meantime - she's all done bar a pilot smile

agb110.jpg

agb102.jpg

agb103.jpg

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/12/2012 09:55:28

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/12/2012 09:57:01

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 23/12/2012 09:54:26:

I think it may well just have to be a Panther next for me you know wink 2

I must confess with all the help and guidance from this thread Ive been hooked as well (and Ive not even managed to sneak the maiden in yet ). Huge thanks chaps !!

BTW love the faux leather headrest D, it'll look a proper retro racer with the man in the hot seat in situ

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 23/12/2012 15:50:25:

Boxing day weather isn't looking too bad if you can escape the festivities

Had planned on a maiden today but unfortunately have to attend a funeral (dont think vicar will be too chuffed if I combine the two dont know ) . Ah well at least its all set to go.

BTW the HK Ceirva head sets are just back in stock if anyone is interested. Rich, send me your addy if you want yours replacing

EDIT Just seen D's post in the main thread about the HK heads ...duh wink 2

Edited By Foamie Dave on 27/12/2012 10:29:04

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First major crash with FF2 this weekend. Right hand spiral into the ground. Don't know why, it was too far away to see properly. The only problem is a broken mast, but as I slotted it in and drilled to take a fixing pin, repairs are going to be easy. I just need to scarf a piece on to replace the broken bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Gents

ROG's are hands off, level flight is on rails and it virtually lands itself (apart from the 3rd flight which I managed to land in a tree...dont ask ...no really dont ask embarrassed )

Having never flown one before I find it tucks under slightly during LH turns which is something I need to get used to, I'm presuming its the effect of the main rotor ? Think I'll try using the rudder more in future and keep it level with the "ailerons" perhaps? As you can gather I'm still all fingers and thumbs in the turns so any advice from you old pros most welcome.

As you can see from the pic below I think Im cranking over a bit much ??

sml8h0y0483.jpg

Apart from that, its an absolute peach, even with my numpty thums wink 2 . Congrats on a great design and huge thanks to all for the help and advice - much appreciated.

A race eh Rich ?, Yer a braver man than me, I think It would be more like combat if my hedge timming escapades are anything to go off - think I need to replace the Breitling logo with Flymo decal!

Edited By Foamie Dave on 10/06/2013 17:55:25