O.S. / Graupner wankel engine

bruce chapman

Hi,

Having a interest in engines, and anything mechanical, I find myself the proud winner of a circa 1980's OS/Graupner 49pi wankel motor. Given the fact that I would have been strutting my new romantic stuff when this was produced, it seems to be in good fettle. ( Unlike myself, now in comfy slacks!) I have run it up, and it seems to produce plenty of smooth power, with a lovey cackle at tickover. My only real concern is the amount of castor based fuel it consumes!

I am after any relevant info on this motor, and any recomendation for a suitable model to fix to it. I am in the process of building a 'mini panic' from avicraft. ( An excellent model and company) . My Intention was to fit it to this, but the fuel tank size is pretty limited for the thisty beast- well- would be ample for recommended .30 size 2 or 4 stroke.

ciao

Advert

Is there some reason why a picture of my Saito appears at the top of this thread? At least it does for me. It is certainly not a Wankel!

Anyway, one guy in our club has a couple of these, if I can remember who I could see if he has any words and music for them.

They are heavy on fuel because Herr Wankel was labouring under a misapprehension when he decided that rotary motion would be more efficient than reciprocating motion. So the Wankel ends up more compact, but a bit hungry on fuel.

John

Yes I've got a couple of 49PI's (destined for a twin one day) and have flown them in a couple of aircraft. They are different to either a 2 or 4 stroke glow in several respects. Vibration is low, fuel consumption is high and they are much happier swinging small props at high RPM than larger props at lower revs. I've used 8X6, 9X6 and 10X4. My Limbo Dancer, used to run them in, goes like a rat up a drainpipe but the 49PI sucks the 4oz tank dry in less than 4 minutes, not all of it on full power.

If you think of these engines as a 3 cylinder 4 stroke with the pistons geared UP to the crankshaft, you'll get some idea of why they behave as they do.

Graeme

I have a Wankel myself and during side by side testing it produced the same power as my Webra .40 Blackhead; it is very powerful for its capacity but sadly it turned out not to be very practical for sports models due to the fuel consumption.

It's a beautiful piece of engineering and I have the manual for it if anyone needs a copy I can scan it and send it to you.

My engine will appear on Ebay within the next few days so get ready to bid!.

• 8 months later...

Thanks to all for input- now running well in a great planes Corsair fun fly. It realy rips! vertical hand launch no problem- usualy! Ive had about a dozen tank fulls out of her (12oz / 6 mins) running on contest 10. ( the instructions rec castor based fuel- but I think these were written before the advent of synthetic!) Its happy swinging 10x 4. Completely love it, and been complemented by quite a few on the sound it creates- sounds more like a multi cylinder howl at full chat than anything else, and has a quite pleasant missfiry burble at the low end- which has been pretty reliable thus far. I am using a remote needle valve from an OS 46ax conected to existing valve on a very rich setting. - Very close to prop- for my fat digits anyway! Can't big it up enough- I will post some pics

Peter, I don't think there is a Mk.3. The Mk 2 was improved a few years ago with a venturi extension and an angled needle valve. The Mk. 1 has the cooling shroud, which some people remove.

I also had a Mk. 1 , I found it easier to start than the 2 which I could never start by hand. It was smoother as well, probably because it was less powerful.

I don't think I would ever run one of these without some castor in the fuel. Smells good as well.

The mark 1 had the carb coming out of the crankshaft housing. The mark 2 has it up beside the exhaust port. I am told that the mark 1 was much less powerful. My mark 2 has far more power than my beloved SC 32s.

I start mine on a starter and use Formula Irvine 10% fuel.

Just as amatter of interest, while testing an Eagletree G meter the model pulled 24.8 G and the engine never eve coughed.