Dubai and the UAE

Richard V-D

Advert

Hi Richard

Franks right - My daughter has lived in Dubai for about 10 years now. Only the other day she commented how exspensive everything is out there now compared to what it used to be. I have asked her occasionally if she could bring back certain electronic items and she said I was better off buying in UK as I would have decent customer service if something went wrong. Eg. for a approximate saving of £30 on a I pad I would'nt like the hassle of trying to get it back to the retailer in Dubai or to comunicate with them.

KR Al

Hi Richard,

I live over in Dubai and Alan is correct, nothing is cheap, it's all UK prices even though its supposed to be tax free!

There is a big model shop which used to be called Ultimate Heli but has now changed to **LINK**

Have a look for your self at the website, prices aren't great are they! I guess being over here on a tax free salary makes up the difference but there really aren't any bargains around unless you shop during the sales festivals or you're buying expensive one off things like a new car!

Hi Richard.

I live in Dubai and along with a lot of other modellers here buy most of our modelling parts from the internet.

Its not that the prices here are higher, but the range of bits available is limited.

It is getting better with shops like Ultimate heli getting a better range of parts, and a discount is always negotiable.

But in general the prices of everything here is more than UK.

There are 3 good model shops, Toys and Us at Sheik Zayed road intersection 1, Ultimate Heli, behind the old 4 x 4 motors building just past terminal 1 of the airport, and Hobby World (or home) at the back of the Sana Centre in Karama.

The modelling scene here is big, with agroup of us flying every Friday morning at the flying site in Al Lisailia. Others fly at the old site in Nad Alsheba, by the Meydan horse racing centre, but that is very undisiplined and chaotic there, plus it is currently in the middle of an ongoing construction site.

You can see our web page on Face book, under peanutgallerydubai.

How long will you be here for and where will you be staying?

Dont forget, Friday and Saturday are our weekend here.

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 28/10/2012 09:02:23

• 6 months later...

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I'm quite happy to provide the link to your forum but we'd be very pleased to see some of your activities aired here, as well - I'm sure many of us would be interested in seeing how aeromodellers cope with desert life!teeth 2

Pete