Hanger 9 P47

Mark a

Advert

I don't know the model in question, although P47's have a reputation for being nice to fly. A few months is quite a short time to progress on to a warbird. Have you flown much else? The WOT 4 is very benign to fly and won't 'snap' into a spin with little warning if you are clumsy, whereas a warbird might...

I fly a Spirtfire occasionally, but I don't throw it around, and I fly it with great respect. I know that too much elevator in the wrong place and....

I also fly a WOT4 and I'll try anything with that.

I wonder, have you flown much else? I had a 'Super air" quite early on in my flying career. The model in question was prone to tip stall. I managed to spin that in with an ill judged maneuvre and took it home in a bin bag. I learn't a lot from that mistake, but fortunately it only cost me £20 on ebay!

It might be good to experience some other airframes before you go for a warbird.

Cool though!

Actually my first warbird (3rd plane after teaching myself to fly with a Pulse 40 and a cub) was a Hangar 9 P40. I could just about fly it but not really fun as it was a handfull after the Pulse. So I put it away before I could destroy it and got another year in on simpler stuff. When the P40 came out again I loved it, it was a delight to fly and looked ace. The P47 is meant to be a peach to fly, I'm tempted myself but I have to agree with Ken, unless you're confident, a bit more experience is probably best. However there's no reason not to get it, build it and stare lovingly at it!

i bought my H9 P47 the day they launched it back in 2006 and mine has flown for so long its had 3 sets of bearings in its OS91Fs. It is my regular weekly hack .It flies beautifully, retracts work perfectly despite many hundreds of landings, and no structural issues at all. On the standard fuel tank, my OS91fs will see 25-30 minute flights and when properly trimmed it will fly itself and can fly mere inches off the deck with barely a correction on the sticks (my party piece while making daka-daka noises in my head smile p)

I have just expanded my fun factor by fitting wing pylons and droppable 500lb bombs to make strafing runs more dynamic,

I would heartily recommend it as a first warbird but would recommend you get low wing tail dragger experience first (black horse travel air perhaps?- cheap and nice flier)

low, fast and loud Tally ho

Ive got one here waiting for a maiden when i get chance with time and weather, powered by os 91 fs, Ive also read its an easy to fly, more of a sports model than warbird, its an easy artf to assemble, but the belly pan lets it down, i had to fill the quite large gaps between it and the wing with micro balloons and epoxy, plus the paint on mine wasnt fuel proof, after a test run of the engine there was a big streak of removed paint where the exhaust had slimed it.

Just my pennys worth. It depends on how much you fly and how much experience you have. I tend to agree with most of the replies.

Its been three years in the hobby for me and this year I flew my first warbird but that is due to my progress being a little slow.

Just an idea... if you really want a P47 and you are not sure if you are ready for an ic Hanger 9, what about one of these? Some people would wince but.... it has much lower wing loading meaning its a much more realistic proposition for the average pilot. It really is a bargain. I'd be tempted to get one, but where would I store it? Its so big!

• 9 months later...

You will need some tail dragger experience first but in the air mine flies like a trainer. Take off and landing are not so easy. Not an ideal first tail dragger. A Black Horse Travel Air would make a nice model to continue learning on.

The H9 P47 is a lovely model to fly. It has real presence in the air.

Posted by JC on 16/08/2013 09:28:47:

You will need some tail dragger experience first but in the air mine flies like a trainer. Take off and landing are not so easy. Not an ideal first tail dragger. A Black Horse Travel Air would make a nice model to continue learning on.

The H9 P47 is a lovely model to fly. It has real presence in the air.

I have loads of tail dragger experience wot 4, acro wot, sbach,edge 260 looking forward to flying my first 4 stroke its fitted with an SC 91fs which runs really well.

Maybe my experience will help you decide, simply because I am a relative beginner too. After my trainer, I flew a wot 4 for a while and was getting comfortable with it, started to "experiment" got completely confused and binned it. I also was flying a high wind semi scalish stinson, which was a pig on takeoff for some reason but OK in the air ( in for repairs! fue to take off problem!) I just happened to come across an acrowot at a reasonable price and decided to give it a go.Now an acrowot is not a beginners plane and I understand that and accept the risks BUT compared to the trainer, the wot 4 and the stinson it is really easy to fly as it goes where I point it. That is it is accurate and responds directly to control inputs, added power doesnt make it ballon, as they say it flys on rails. The big BUT for me is that I have to be very very careful not to over control, to keep within my ability level in terms of orientation, take my time, not panic and I am gradually building my confidence with the plane step by step.

The moral of the story is for me that one can fly something a bit advanced BUT (again) one has to keep in ones limits, maybe just fly circuits and lazy eights, that is keep to BMF A cert levels, dont be flambouyant, dont try flying too slowly but also keep the throttle back. Worth a go? after all we do this to fly planes we are fond of. Havind said that my rare bear is staying firmly in the shed for quite a while yet.

Good luck.

Posted by richard cohen on 05/11/2012 21:26:38:

i bought my H9 P47 the day they launched it back in 2006 and mine has flown for so long its had 3 sets of bearings in its OS91Fs. It is my regular weekly hack .It flies beautifully, retracts work perfectly despite many hundreds of landings, and no structural issues at all. On the standard fuel tank, my OS91fs will see 25-30 minute flights and when properly trimmed it will fly itself and can fly mere inches off the deck with barely a correction on the sticks (my party piece while making daka-daka noises in my head smile p)

I have just expanded my fun factor by fitting wing pylons and droppable 500lb bombs to make strafing runs more dynamic,

I would heartily recommend it as a first warbird but would recommend you get low wing tail dragger experience first (black horse travel air perhaps?- cheap and nice flier)

low, fast and loud Tally ho

it sounds too good, so with it being discontinued I couldnt resist and ordered one of the last yesterday! i have a dle 20 waiting for it - can't wait!!

RIch

I have one of these waiting for a build, I have a lovely new OS91fs ready to go in too.

I also have the Hangar 9 hellcat powered by a Saito 100 and love it .

I'm not overly keen on mounting the servos externally in the tail area and would rather put then inboard with snakes. Anyone done this ? pro's and con's ??

Edited By Justin K on 27/08/2013 15:45:49

Edited By Justin K on 27/08/2013 15:46:18

Edited By Justin K on 27/08/2013 15:46:51

Well i finally had a spare few hours today to finish off my P47. Everything is working as it should and has been double checked so its maiden time tomorrow. The weather forecast looks ok with a westerly wind around 10mph which suits our strip which is east west, i'll let you know how it goes.

Mark.

Edited By Mark a on 01/09/2013 18:52:08