PSS A-10 Thunderbolt II - build blog

Phil Cooke

Not alot of progress so far this week. frown When I have found time to get into the garage I've been working the planking and sheeting around the wheel pod assembly...

wheel pod 26.jpg

1/8th balsa planking has gone on around the top of the wheels...

wheel pod 27.jpg

Thankfully the sides of the pods are vertical so a single piece of sheet could be used to complete all this side area in one go! (That's the kind of planking I like!!)

wheel pod 28.jpg

Once dry the side walls could be pulled in and glued firm to the front former, leaving only a small gap in need of planking on the top shoulders, and the underside panels...

Like the side walls, the underside of the pod is flat sheeted, filling in around the corners was traditionally planked with 1/8th balsa - measure, cut, fit, fettle, fit, fettle, refit and glue - you get the idea... frown

wheel pod 29.jpg

wheel pod 30.jpg

With all the planking done the front end is finished off with a soft balsa nose cone, shown below rough sanded to its 2D shape before glueing. There is a similar tail-piece required which will also be soft balsa block. That and a balsa fairing into the top side of the wing will FINALLY see these wheel pods finished... it feels like I've been working on this bit for an age! embarrassed

wheel pod 31.jpg

Phill,

What a shame. How could I miss this build blog over all the weeks it is running?

In any case something to look at from now on. Great stuff, gives me the feeling that I have to go into my shed to progress on one of my open projects face 1

Unfortunately I still sit in the office - and my ladies social plans for tonight are not model building friendly... face 11

Looking forward to the next part of your story!

VA

Sorry guys was at work and cannot really post whilst in the office embarrassed

A10FLYR did you get my PM last week? - great to see you back on here and many thanks for the photos, please do send us any details - we are all wanting to learn from your PSS experience with this model (Im assuming thats one of the early D/F builds being used in a secondary manner off the slope - ie - its still got the original power plan wing section and tail incidence??)

As Matt and Dave both suggested, any leads on your AUW and comments on the models flying characteristics would be most welcome... and any flying shots of course!!

Phil, I just went and located the PM. Somehow I must have missed it.

Sorry to say but we have not slope soared it yet. Winds that day did not get to what we felt we needed to maintain flight so I decided to abhort any attempt. We left early the next morning only to have fantastic winds...which blew us all the way back to Denver! (Wish we could have stayed one more day).

We don't have any slope with an aceptable landing area so no attempt will be made in Colorado. I was not able to go to Soar Utah this year but maybe next year.

Yes it a fiberglass airframe that has been flown with ICDF and then converted to twin turbine. Now I want to slope it!! A mate of mine has converted his to EDF and flown it.

Without any power system it will come in at about 35#. It would be interesting to see what difference there would be between scale airfoil and what you have designed. No doubt your airfoil will be better for slope.

You know, I just remembered, the plug was made out foam. Perhaps I should get it out and make a sloper out of it!!

BTW, for anyone interested out there, Josh has allowed the plans to be digitized and distributed for free.

An interesting side note.....I was a dyed in the wool power flyer untill I met this English Chap from Cheltenham at our local power field. He looked like a little puppy dog at a pet store with that "please take me" look on his face. I introduced myself and gave him a fly with one of my planes and once he proved his skills I gave him free reign with my stable of aircraft. We became close friends and on one of his visits to the states he mentioned slope flying and I informed him that non of us flew slope. He said "My God Mate, with all these beautiful slopes and you don't fly slope?". So, with my tail between me legs I started investigating this strange idea. Located a few renagade looking fellows who climbed around these mountains with gliders on their backs and followed them. What an eye opener to see a plane dive straight for the ground only to go out of sight and reappear out in the distance fully intact! Remember, to us power flyers going straight down ment disaster! Fly for hours with no refueling, and quietness! Needless to say...I fly very little power now a days! I'm going to climb around these slopes as long as my body allows! Thanks Barrie.

Yes this slope soaring lark is addictive for sure, especially with scale models - so much more dynamic than flat field power flying (IMO) and you get to stand and enjoy some fantastic scenery too! A great story of how you found your way to the slopes - thanks for sharing...

So maybe we will still be first to slope the A-10 here in the UK afterall? - I thought by your photos that it had been done!

I'm aiming for a 30lb AUW, (my initial target was 25lb but thats blown!) and 30lb will be tight with glass and paint still to be applied. My front fuselage section is all foam as per the early build posts on this thread - the rear fus will be a mixture of foam and ply/light ply where the strength is needed (wing box, tail mount, engine mount). This is the only sub assembly left to build now, everything else is complete once I've got the tips on these wings (and finished sanding these wheel pods!!)

A little time spent with the sanding block and the nose of the wheel pods is shaped to profile - they've come out spot on in plan view, but still a little more fettling required to get the shape just right in profile - they are a little too 'bull-nosed' for scale...

wheel pod 32.jpg

The wheel was left with a square clearance of approx 1/4" all round...

wheel pod 33.jpg

wheel pod 34.jpg

Nearly there with these wheels and pods, more work than I expected here - time for a well earnt beer! yes beer

I don't think there was an A-10 built from the Harel plans that came out under 35# for the bare airframe standing on the gear...fiberglass or wood. Both of mine were over 60# wet. ICDF or turbine. I used 1/32" balsa sheeting on the wings and no spar. I do like your plug in system.

Also, all the powered A-10s had 7 to 10# of lead in the nose to balance the motors in the nacelles. I don't know about EDF where they put the batteries in the nose.

There is an article in RCJI of one built from balsa.

I have drug the bottoms of the fins maany times when the main gear failed to lock down! Kind of strange to see it come in on the nose gear and fins! I epoxied hardwood to the bottom of the fins finally!

This weeks work has been focussed still on the shaping of the wheel pods - I wasn't happy with the side profile of the nose on the first one I'd 'final' sanded and ended up spending some time correcting this carefully with the sanding block. I had a good 3-view drawing as reference, also a 1/48th scale plastic model - very handy.

Once one was done, the other wing had to be matched, not easy with such big sub assemblies in a small garage - difficult to see both wings close up for reference - anyway today I assembled the wing outside and spent an hour or two final sanding both halves. They still arent quite true scale, but they will have to do! frown

Not posted in almost a week(!) as only limited workshop time achieved thumbs down - when I have got in there I've been making some interesting shapes in balsa! smiley

The wheel pods are now feathered into the wings suction surface as per the full size.

wheel pod 35.jpg

Laminated 1/2" soft balsa was used mounted on a pre-cut 1/64th ply base plate - this helped get the distinctive plan view shape just right.

wheel pod 36.jpg

wheel pod 38.jpg

full size plan view for reference...

wheel pod 37.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 09/03/2013 17:28:43

The rear fairings on the wheel pods have been simplified from the full-size where they act as complex rail guides for the inboard flaps - my model isn't fitted with flaps on the inner panels and for simplicity and robustness I've elected to form these from laminated soft balsa fixed firm to the wing underside. Sorry to any scale buffs out there!

wheel pod 43.jpg

With these fitted and sanded to shape I'm glad to report this is the last wheel pod photograph as they are finally complete! beer yes party

No rest for the wicked though, now to start thinking about these wing tips...

a-10 tip 1.jpg