Help with identification

Peter Miller

Advert

Thanks folks. It is amazing the knowledge available on this Forum.

The aircraft looked like some of the aircraft desinged for the Lymne (?) trials with Douglas Dragonfly engines.

Interestingly the airfoil section looks very like the one used on "The Big Ship" and that has an excellent glide performance.

Stephen. I saw that you had missed it, mind you, the winning bidder had bid twice so it could have gone a lot higher. I didn't bid even though it was only about 13 miles from me.

Now all I need is a nice flat twin engine and maybe....

Well I`m gobsmacked. Firstly, because Peter thought it might be scale and secondly that Tim was able to identify that it was. What a team yes.

Peter, I`d be interested to know why you thought it might be scale. Was it just because you thought you`d seen it before? Or was it something in the way it was constructed?

There were several reasons that I thought that it might be scale,

The dummy engine, few people would think of making it a flat twin. In fact few modellers would design something so weird.

The detail of the "screws" round the wind screen and the rigging.

Added to that, if you see some of the designs from the late 20s and early 30s it had that same atmosphere. I have a book "Aviation, The Pioneer Years" You should see some of the strange contraptions in that book!

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/11/2012 17:56:07:

There were several reasons that I thought that it might be scale,

The dummy engine, few people would think of making it a flat twin. In fact few modellers would design something so weird.

The detail of the "screws" round the wind screen and the rigging.

Added to that, if you see some of the designs from the late 20s and early 30s it had that same atmosphere. I have a book "Aviation, The Pioneer Years" You should see some of the strange contraptions in that book!

You should have said " its elementry Hogsta" smiley

Do you do consultancy work for the police by any chance? wink

It is a funny thing but if you look at aircraft you can often tell what country made them, even if you don't know what they are.

German WWII aircraft have those glass houses with masses of facets. Amercian aircraft have big radials and so on. There always sems to be some sort of characteristic that gives it away.

That Botali screamed 30s probably French but possibly British although Most British aircraft of that type and era are quite well known