Rip Off,, Bog off

flytilbroke

I wanted some Resin and Hardener, so I looked at a well known supplier's site in the Northeast of England.

Price of goods OK.so went to pay,,, angry After searching for goods and filling in the register thing, What surprise Well, for 407 miles to an England address carraige costs a LOT less than 247 miles to a Scottish Mainland address. One Kilo of goods nearly £26 to me. So Bog Off to them.

Cheaper to buy from Hong Kong.

Advert

I'm not sure if Fort William is counted as 'Highlands' but couriers charge more for non mainland locations (Highlands, Chanel Islands, etc).

I don't agree with the excessive charges to Highlands addresses as I've always considered Highlands as part of Mainland UK, however this is what we are stuck with when using courier services.

Smarter retailers also offer Royal Mail options as they are cheaper for such locations.

"Highlands" appear to start not far North of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Poundland ect,, could I get what I need local I would do, but they don't do resin in quantity for fibreglass and the nearest possible supplier is more than sixty miles away. Even with the ripoff surcharge SOME carriers charge, the take it or leave it charge by the supplier in question is really bad.

Hmmmm, I wonder could "we" in the Highlands charge similar delivery costs to the UK goverment for oil and gas? Backdated of course. smile d

FTB

It might be worth a phone call to said supplier to see if they are prepared to put small items in the Royal Mail. I had a similar experience with some small spares from Switzerland which would have been prohibitive using the fixed postage charges quoted but an email exchange soon had the parts on their way using the normal postage service. I think most of these web sites are focused on delivering items that would normally have to go by courier. Worth a try.

Alwyn

Hi all, as we all know a lot of shows were cancelled this summer ! due to bad weather. I used to purchase most of my bits and bobs at these shows as my nearest LMS is a 60 miles round trip. Looking at the website of a well known r/c supplier. I saw a packet of push rod connectors (2off) Dubro EZtype@£1.24. Total cost with p/p £4.97. This bad weather has damaged us in more ways than one. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 17/11/2012 16:13:11

Posted by flytilbroke on 12/11/2012 09:07:22:

"Highlands" appear to start not far North of Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I wonder if you're being a bit hard on courier companies FTB? After all, they are in business to make money...

I don't think distance is the whole story here. Most couriers seem to fill a van in the morning and deliver to multiple addresses within, I'd guess, a 20 mile radius of their base. If you've got a low population density (Fort William has around 10 000 inhabitants, I understand which is of a size still being described as a village in the South-East - then the economics start to make less sense at a standard price for the bulk of mainland Britain.

Hmmmm, I wonder could "we" in the Highlands charge similar delivery costs to the UK goverment for oil and gas? Backdated of course. smile d

I assume you are aware that the oil and gas rights were granted to the UK, not Scotland - so should you want to break away from the rest of us, which I'd hate to see (and I'd have to send 'er indoors back hame) I think we ought to divide the revenues per head of population and factor in the disproportionate financial support that's been given to Scotland over the years...so Mr Salmond had better start saving!