Beans MeanZ .......fuel tanks

• 1 month later...
Yes I know, but yes our supermarkets do stock it down under.. I wouldn't personally use one though as the aircraftould need to be a lot bigger than the .46 engines I own..I have found that the "soup for one" tins are more than enough for these engines.  and Eric my inbox also collects it.. Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

great stuff

I have a rear exhaust fox 36 made in about 1981 and i am building a DB baby ace. yes i have exhaust system problems ! The exhaust  and fuel tank want the same space. baked bean tin exhaust ? a small tin with 2 pipes coming out in a realistic fashion? plumbers solder or silver solder should be stronger with a higher melting point. Aluminum tins ?

Anyone have any Ideas

back in the 80's there was a club member (TRENT R C M F C) that was making an attempt at the longest duration flight with a rc model plane it was a big floating thing i do not remember much about the plane BUT he used one of those new plastic milk bottles the was just coming in the supermarkets (well they were new then) he drilled the pipe holes just under size so the fuel tubes made there own seal. he went in through the top so he could change the size of tank in seconds.

light and free and no soldering. 

sorry about the waffle but it set the scene.

• 6 months later...

All the cans I have seen seam a bit large for my models  but there is no reason why you couldn't chop up any tin can and design your own tank to suit your aircraft . I still do this for my Control line planes.

PS my latest RC model has a balsa tank using glass resin inside and out. It hasn't flown yet but should be OK as I have run tests on the resin to make sure it did not melt when subjected to glow fuel. 

Hi all, If I'm reading the postings correctly we have a number of forumites who make up their own fuel tanks.... May I remind you all that we are approaching the time of the year when tins containing sweets and biscuits start to appear at home.... a great cource of material for fuel tanks for FREE !! 

• 3 weeks later...