Which Hurricane Kit, not ARTF.

Andrew Jarvis 1

I'm looking at building a Hurricane, must be MK1 as my choosen subject is R4118, flaps and retracts are a must, the Warbird Replicas and Tony Nijhuis models seem to fit the bill as they are of the size I'm looking for, however, I'm a bit concerned about the weight of the Warbirds model so that leads me to the Nijhuis model, slightly more expensive than the Warbirds kit, however, 2lb lighter, 2 things concern me about the Nijhuis kit though.

1) The kit, pack, whetever you want to call it is advertised as can be converted to ic, do the plans show what extra work is needed here? if I had to work this out for myself I would walk away from it to be honest as I can see it meaning re-engineering some of the front end structure.

2) does the Nijhuis model have flaps, or show provision for flaps on the plan?

Or are there other alternative models out there?

Edited By Andrew Jarvis 1 on 15/11/2012 10:54:53

Advert

The Brian Taylor is the most accurate of the bunch, but if you are struggling with modifying the Nijhuis to take IC then it would probably be wise to give the Taylor design a miss it is not that difficult, but you have to be good at reading a drawing as there is no guidance.

The Hurricane wing is really thick and it doesn't need flaps, unless you build it really heavy I suppose.

Richard Dalgleish lands his without flaps all the time.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, thanks for the comments, I think I probably didn't make clear my thoughts on modification of the Nijhuis Hurricacane, it's not that I would struggle, more that I want a reasonably easy and fast build that I can then concentrate my efforts on a reasonably authentic finish (it will be my first warbird build) I have choosen the subject as I am fairly familier with the fullsize aircraft, my garden looks down on the end of the Vachers' 900mtr airstrip (I used to fly my rc planes from that field 30 years ago), I have Peters book, the DVD and quite a few cose up pics that I've taken. As for flaps, agreed not necessary but nice to have and I do think that with flaps down (if fitted to the original) they do set the model off.

@ Concordespeedbird, the Pegasus Hurricane is far too cartoony, full span ailerons and the wing is just wrong, the full size Hurricane has a 3 section wing, ie flat centre section with with the diheadral on the outer panels, the Pegasus model is just a traditional 2 peice join in the middle job.

Edited By Andrew Jarvis 1 on 15/11/2012 14:06:51

Hi Andrew, if you are not daunted by the taylor build, then that's different.

If I wanted an authentic Hurricane fairly quickly, I would build the Taylor one but simplify the wing. Firstly I would leave the flaps off, I would fit the aileron servos such that the pushrods are NOT hidden. The same would go for the horns on the tail.

The real time consumer on the Taylor Huricane are those blessed flaps and the aileron hinging/horns being hidden.

It is a great flyer and it is a MkI

Cheers

Danny

Hmm, seems I've got some decisions to make, I'm looking for quickish build, aim is to be flying by May, bearing in mind that workshop time is restricted in winter, at the moment I generally only get in there on a Saturday evening for a couple of hours plus whatever I can manage on a Sunday, I work 6 days a week and during the week I don't get home 'til 7:30pm. I'm after a reasonable model for club level scale which I can add a little extra detail too.

I've looked at some build threads from various forums for the Brian Taylor Hurricane and I get the impression this is a long term project, one thread seems to have been going 2 years and none of the threads seem to have got to the finishing stage, however, people build at different speeds and some of these models could have been put to one side for months on end. This model does come from a big name in scale modelling so has the heritage, however perhaps requires a fair amount of effort and may not be such a quick build.

Tony Nijhuis Hurricane would be ideal for club level scale, there is scope to add extra detail, the model seems to have a very straight forward built up construction, this would probably be the best option build wise, however, what I don't know and can't find out is how much work is involve in converting from veggie power to IC, though in reality, I wouldn't have any worries about tackling the Taylor Hurricane so maybe I shouldn't be so hung up on converting the Nijhuis Hurricane.

Warbirds Repilcas Hurricane is not looking so appealing now and yet this was the model I had planned to buy, it has the best instructions and would suit those builders who's only experience of building is something like a Wot4 or Acro Wot ie foam wings box type fuselage, not that there is anything wrong with the models mentioned or method of construction, I've built 4 Wot 4s 2 Acro Wots and a PB Crescent Bullet. The main things that are putting me off now are, cutting wheel wells and servo bays in foam wings, this is something I really hate doing and having to try and blend in the the fibreglass wing joining tape, it is going to be a real ball ache to make these joins inviseble.

well i built four TN hurricanes in one go and i can vouch for the ease of build.

it would be simple to convert to ic as you would only need an engine mount that bolts straight to the firewall, the tank would go where the battery sits.

I know of one that had flaps fitted so it can be done.

Delved through the post of the one built with flaps.

Edited By Tony Bennett on 16/11/2012 19:03:57

Thanks for the help guys,

Danny, no mention of a smaller Hurricane on Mick Reeves website, but if it was around 80" span that would be a little bit too big.

Tony, thanks, have seen your thread.

Kevin, thanks for the offer, I am a subscriber so I can digitally access the archives, however, Mr Thicky here didn't think of that.

I built the TN Hurricane and powered it with an RCV 90, with just engines 90 degree header adaptor.

It flies beautiful.

You definetley do not need flaps with it, as it has a short take off run, and lands so slow.

The only mods I done were to make the front cowling one piece out of lightweight 3/8 balsa and added 1/16 sheet to the outside where it needed building up for the profile.before sanding to shape, and the same with the underbelly rad, use 3/8 bals sheet to make a 3 sided box and sand to shape before glueing in place.

The cowl is stuck to a 1/8 light ply ring and is attached through this ring to the firewall, so the hex head servo bolts are fitted from the front to attach.

I would recommend fitting the eflight 25-40 size electric retracts rather than mechanical.

Build the tail light as possible, but weight will still be required in the nose.

I think mine is around 7 1/2 lb weight.

Darryl

I'm leaning towards the Brian Taylor Hurricane now, weighing everything up, this seems the bast way to go. I'm thinking RCV90SP which will turn a 15" 3 Blade prop, i will have to check availability of suitable props first as these engines high pitches, 15 x 13.5 or 15.75 x 13, the reason for the high pitch is that the engines are geared down 2:1 giving lower output RPM, directing cooling over the engine may be a problem, however, I'm thinking along the lines of cutting a slot under the chin on the cowl, engineering some ducting that will force cool air round the engine, use the exhaust stacks and some descrete holes on the underside of the cowl to let the hot air escape, what do you think?

Hi Andrew, when you get a look at Brians plan for the Hurricane you will see that he suggests a flap at the front of the cowl that can be opened for flight. The outlet air is ducted out along the bottom of the cowl, through the leading edge and out the wheel wells. Very clever man is Mr Taylor wink 2

I look forward to seeing how you get on with this one.

Cheers

Danny