Skywriter Design

Lindsay Todd

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Derek, from memory I had a 50amp esc, however its all about watts per pound so I would suggest the purchase of a watt meter as I think I was running pretty close to max for my combination so worth checking with various props if you can. Adding dihedral to the top wing should not have real any adverse effects other than increasing stability in role and therefore damping the effect of the ailerons a little. It will of course require a slight mod to the length of the wing struts but other than that should be easy enough. Hope that helps, have fun. Linds

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lindsay

I have cut all my parts for sky writer and made templates of fuselage and doublers but the drawing seems be incorrect for the fuselage sides, it would appear to be short or the tail end doubler needs to be 6mm.I cut the the templates to the black marker triangles which finish at the rear doubler is this correct.Desperate to get this built.

• 1 month later...

I am in the process of collecting the bits and pieces to start on the Skywriter but, having tried two local B&Q's, I am unable to find any aluminium strip of 1 x 12mm as mentioned in the original build notes in the magazine for the cabane struts. However, both shops had 10 x 2mm strip and measuring the struts on the original free plan they are 10mm wide. Can someone please confirm that the correct strip is 10 x 2mm. Many thanks.

Derek.

• 1 month later...

First timer. Been thinking about this hobby for a long time now. Then I saw Lindsey's Skywriter and thought this is it I have to build it. Skywriter has been hanging in the garage for seven months now, while I train my self on a foamy, that's been exciting. Think I am almost ready to put Skywriter up. Will down load some photos when I work out how to get them onto the album section from my picture folder in Windows 7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Linds,

Studying the plan from the October 2013 issue, anticipation the Skywriter to become the Mass Build 2017 modell. On the plan the fin and stabilizer are covered in 1 mm ply. That feels way over the top strienght wise and the worst place to add weight. In you build blog these are open structures, with feels more appropriate.

Please advice,

Lucas

Hi Linds,

With regard to the ply that is what I thought. With the Ballerina we have also seen the RCM&E draftmen making quite a few "improvements" without consulting the designer. Are you aware of any more changes or downright errors in the free plan?

Regards, Lucas

ps. what do you think of the Skywriter being so popular in the Mass Build 2017?

The fin is not covered in ply it is an open structure so if the plans states that then it is wrong, I have not had any feedback so looks like most are capable of working such blips out for themselves or just checking against the blog. KC if you check the blog and photos, excellent source of additional information, then this should help.

As for Mass Build, its a people choice at the end of the day I guess and nobody is being forced to build the model. I always fancied doing a bigger one actually so who knows maybe a 60cc version?