WolstonFlyer's Tucano

WolstonFlyer

Finally.... the canopy is done!

Many thanks to Phil for giving me some pre-cut Model Technics trim tape when we met up at Greenacres, it is very easy to work with and does a super job.

canopy-completed.jpg

Back to balsa bashing to get the nose finished off now that I have got some 3mm T-nuts and cap head bolts for fixing the nose leg saddle clamps in place.

Thanks both, it will be a bit longer before I have to worry about flying it.

I have another day off work tomorrow (lots of leave to use) so if it is too windy to fly I will be building. I also intend to have a play with my new covering iron and hot air gun on some scrap balsa.

You'll find it a wonderfully rewarding experience James once you've got the temps set right start low and work up, re the weather its looking perfect for flying here tomorrow just a shame I have be in torquay to work on the esplanade refurbishment angry not a pleasant job forming shuttering for the repair of the piles under the pier and worrying about beating the tide to, never mind more pennies for more models lol may get a chance to start on the new JP Bluebird 100 at the weekend, man thats a huge wing surprise 8'4"

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 24/06/2013 20:33:01

Hi again James, good to meet you at the weekend.

Before you start to play with the heat gun look at my build blogs regarding covering once more. It has to be stuck down to the balsa all over or it will wrinkle in the sun so any areas done with the gun will look fantastic for a very short while only. These are great for open structures but of no use whatsoever on sheeting. Even patting down with a cloth will not beat going over with a cool iron to stick it to the wood properly. We have all had to experiment with covering methods and this is the best advice that I can give you. If you use a gun, what will happen when you try to put trim on top of the base colour? You will have no solid surface underneath to stick it to is the answer.

Best of luck, Martin

Hi Martin, it was very good to meet you at the weekend. Yes I remember now, you posted a whole sequence of pictures while covering your models, I will go and have a look.

Thanks for the tip about the heat gun, I understand what you mean about sticking the covering down with pressure from an iron.

Many thanks!

I will post pictures of my progress.

Thanks Martin.

Well all of this talk about covering I had to have a go tonight. I located my new Prolux LCD Iron, my roll of Giant Shark black covering film and a small scrap of balsa.

First thing I noticed is how thin the covering is, and that there is a peel off clear backing. I cut a small piece of covering, set the iron to 100 degrees and let it warm up.

covering-test1.jpg

(This matt side of the film is the glue, it is black and not white glue as the reviews on the GS website said it would be)

I didn't take a picture sequence but this is what I ended up with after sticking down the edges of the top surface and then folding the sides under. I then turned the iron up to 110 degrees and with the supplied cloth bag over the iron I pressed the covering film down tight onto the surfaces. I am quite pleased with the end result although the grain of the balsa can be seen. This shows how smooth I will need to get my Tucano sanded!

covering-test2.jpg

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 24/06/2013 23:14:53

Nice one WF, the covering is easier than it looks, and the more of it you do, the better the finish as you will pick up tips as you go along. Don't have the iron too hot to begin with, as then you can peel the covering off if it looks wrong, and then replace it. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...