WolstonFlyer's Tucano

WolstonFlyer

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry guys, I have been flat out at work all week trying to catch up after being on holiday. I have also been taking my son to evening cricket games so I have not got anything done (the local clubs arrange an evening floodlit series each year and play it over a week).

I have to say a massive "thank you" to Phil for making the above set of U/C legs, complete with very neat soldered on washers and brass collets. The quality of them is superb!!

Remaining woodwork jobs are to hinge the control surfaces and do the wing fillets....but not this weekend as it's my Mums birthday.

I hope to get cracking in the evenings next week..... will I ever get this done???

Hi james just a small point here don't glue your hinges till you've covered her mate but then I'm guessing you knew that one

re the U/C no worries your more than welcome

regarding wing fillets have a look at the recent posts on the general chat thread as in retrospect I think Mike hardy's idea of using a top and bottom sheet and fixing to the fuse is prob the easiest way of achieving a neat finish

Phil

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been a while and the Tumbleweed has blown through here a few times!! sad

The good news is that I am still building (slowly) and last night things started to go together, I had a very late night of building and a couple of hours this morning.

Phil - the undercarriage that you made for me is a perfect fit - thanks again.

I thought the screws were going to go through the top surface, but they don't, they must be very close.

wing-wheel.jpg

A pair of wheels, looking great and nice and straight

wing-wheel-2.jpg

And finally she is looking like a Tucano

all-together.jpg

The canopy is not a perfect fit, it is a bit too wide at the front (1.5mm at each side) and I somehow got the angle of the back of the canopy different to the angle of F5 so I need to make some small adjustments, perhaps remove F5 and put in a new one that is thicker and sand it to the same angle as the canopy?

all-together-side-view.jpg

Anyway, progress is slow, building on the Kitchen table doesn't help as I have to tidy up and put my tools away all the time

Seeing the progress has spurred me on to get it finished though so that has to be good news

More from me later!

Thats looking superb James, really glad the U/C legs fit well as for the screws they are indeed close approx 0.5mm from the top surface at maximum but at least they've got a proper grip kinda essential if you fly from a field dotted with hoof prints like me lol. the issues with the canopy fit at the front is much the same on mine, a little less on mine but to be fair it doesn't detract from the appearance on the ground and once she's of the ground not many will be able to see it, and if they do they must be desperately short of something to do

Keep plodding on mate

Phil

Hi James no good news here I'm afraid, they're a bit fiddly either way, I fitted mine to the wing but in retrospect I think fitting them to the fuselage hides the joint better, so more room for minor errors.

start with a card template then using that draw a line on the fuse and wing where this touches, this will give you the bottom and side profile, then use these to mark the bottom and inner edge of some suitable soft block and carve / sand away, use sanding sticks made from various dowels to sand the concave curves. Don't go for too small a profile as covering small tight concave profiles is a nightmare, and don't try to continue the fairing beyond the LE it just looks wrong at this scale in my opinion

Phil

Thanks for the top tips Phil

I have had a go at making the fairings and I am quite pleased with the results. I have sanded them from solid wedges of 10mm soft balsa that was left over from making the wings. I wrapped some sandpaper around a length of 1" dowel / brush handle, I hope my wife doesn't notice I cut a bit off the yard brush

wing-fairings.jpg

I then installed the wing and glued the fairings in place with a bit of cling film to stop them sticking to the surface of the wing.

fairing-installed-1.jpg

and from underneath:

fairing-underside.jpg

I have also closed up the gap at the back of the canopy by cutting and sanding F5 to the correct angle and then facing it with some thin lite ply - job done!

fairing-and-canopy.jpg

I just need to shape the back of the fairings in to the fuselage and install a small block on the underside to meet up with the trailing edge. That will have to wait for another day as the workshop (kitchen) is needed to make dinner and there is balsa dust all over the place

Just a quick update but I have started covering - wow this is tricky to do and keep it nice and tidy sad

So far I have covered the moving surfaces (rudder, elevator, ailerons) , the underside middle section of the wing and the underside of one wing...... it has taken me 5 hours so far crying 2

Anyway here is some "evidence", sheesh - black seems like a hard colour to work with, it shows every little mark in the balsa - a bit like painting black cars I guess.

covering-started.jpg

Great stuff WF. The thing I always find about film covering is that at first it all looks like a badly wrapped parcel and you think "This is a disaster"! Then quite suddenly, as you shrink it, everything transforms into a thing of beauty!

Don't worry about the odd mark in the balsa - when you are building something its very easy to hung up on tiny tiny defects that no one but you will ever notice! If you do discover a "ding" - remember, a bit of spit works wonders at getting them out!

BEB

Thanks BEB

Perhaps my technique is wrong I have the iron set to 120 degrees (it seems to activate the glue at that temp) and I am trying to smooth the piece of covering down to the balsa to make it stick - working from one end and and pushing it out to the other end of the piece I am covering, pulling it tight to get rid of crinkles. Is that right or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 21/10/2013 00:19:54

Hi again James,

That does not sound quite right to me. Taking, say, a rectangular item you should first tack to the centre of a short edge, pull only lightly and tack the other end then the long edge centres. Working outwards from these tack down the rest a section at a time until the whole outer edge is fixed down lightly. Increase the temp. and pull the edges over to seal all round then trim leaving an overhang which is sealed to the under surface. Reduce the iron temp. and do the other (top) face of the surface. Only then do you shrink by going over with a warm iron very lightly to start with, I bit on each side at a time to avoid warps. Increase the temp. and seal to the wood all over. A heatgun is useless since although the finish may look great it will soon wrinkle.

Re read both my Tucano threads and you will see this in pictures.

Martin

Hi James,

I find with the 'Chinacote' coverings that the glue will activate from about 100c, I find that an iron at 110 - 115c is a good starting point to adhere the covering without undue shrink, and then ramp up the iron in 10c increments to help shrink the more difficult bits, building up to 140 - 145c particularly on the edges and wrap overs.

The material will take higher temps (unlike solarfilm which just burns holes!) (I have gone up to 170c or so) but shrink tends to get excessive and pulls the edges, I tend to avoid the heat gun.

There is no one technique, everyone I know uses a different approach!!