WolstonFlyer's Tucano

WolstonFlyer

Hi WF,

canopies are a bit of a "suck it see" sort of thing. The key is to "cut little and try it on frequently" inching towards the fit you want. I know its obvious but the old saying of "you can cut a bit more off easily, but you can't stick it back on" really applies here! So go gently and cautiously.

I take it your canopy will be a fixed one? That is you are not using the canopy as part of a hatch as I am? If that's so then it's a bit easier as you can fix the canopy to the fuselage. And if it looks right - it probably is right. Take a look at some full size Tucanos on the web and form an image in your mind of what it should look like. You don't need much overlap to glue it - 1/4" at the very most. Remember though - you need canopy glue to fix it down - don't use CA it fogs the plastic.

But you don't need to fix the canopy until you have covered the model - so you could put this on the back burner for now and get on with the front end shaping etc.

BEB

Hi BEB, the canopy needs to be a hatch so I can install my LiPo's, I think that would be easier than removing the wing every time?

Should I cut the plastic with a scalpel or scissors? Thanks for the tip about CA, I was going to use it for this job!

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 01/06/2013 22:48:46

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 01/06/2013 22:48:00:

Hi BEB, the canopy needs to be a hatch so I can install my LiPo's, I think that would be easier than removing the wing every time?

Should I cut the plastic with a scalpel or sissors? Thanks for the tip about CA, I was going to use it for this job!

sharp scissors every time James I made up the floor and front and rear formers as a unit with the pilots in place make the formers and cockpit floor slightly smaller than the fuse by the thickness of the canopy material. Then i placed this unit inside the canopy adjusting its position as required then using a water based fine marker pen I drew a line where it needed cutting an drew a deep breath and carefully cut it. fixing was done with a clear setting canopy glue using tape to hold it all in place as it set. You will need about 6 pairs of hands lol. No seriously its actually easier than it sounds mate. Finally I used black trimline round the outer edge of the canopy to cover any visible glue. You obviously will need to have the cockpit internals fully finished before gluing

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 01/06/2013 22:56:58

Hi,

Ah, if you are using a hatch then as Phil says you need to make that first. From what phil says it sounds as if his is similar to mine. I copied F4 and F5 and faced them with ply, then glued in some lengthwise pieces to make a frame and cross pieces to support the floor.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine to give you the idea,..

tucano 42.jpg

tucano 43.jpg

Then as Phil says this is sanded to be just inside the fuselage lines by the thickness of the canopy. When I fit my canopy it will be by placing this inside as Phil describes.

BEB

I am not quite sure where the time goes, nearly an hour later I have the canopy side frame in place ang glue drying. I had a loog at BEB's build blog and noticed that he added some thin card to act as a spacer to allow for the thickness of the covering, so I have done the same.

I probably won't post more pictures of the canopy build, it will be the same as the one that BEB made

canopy-frame-sides.jpg

Nearly 1am and the kitchen is covered in balsa dust, just got time to tidy up.

Thanks Phil, so I guess the whole bottle of CA set hard dont know

I have had another couple of hours building today, the horizontal stabilizer is almost ready to be glued in place complete with hinged elevator, I am using fluffy mylar hinges and they will be glued in with CA once the covering is done.

elevator-hinged.jpg

I have also done loads of sanding and have got the nose sanded roughly to shape and I have also installed and tested the ESC so I think I can put the nose under sheeting on now and close it all up for good with a hard point for the front wheel. I am just a bit worried about the motor shaft and fixing bolts puncturing the LiPo in the event of a crash - I am not sure if I can do anything about that without blocking off the ventilation to the ESC and I don't want to do that.

I got to try my new servo tester, it can also spin up the motor to test the ESC

motor-tested.jpg

I am leaving the canopy unfinished at the moment, I am going to get the nose ring on and sanded to shape next and then I can go back an install the tail and get that all completed.

Other jobs are to install some thin ply doublers to the inside sides of the fuselage to add a bit of strength, the centre of the plane looks a bit weak with a big open hatch on the top and a big hole for the wing. I can then install the plate for the wing fixing bolt and then get the wing finished off.

The list of jobs is getting shorter but still lots to get on with.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 02/06/2013 23:00:39

James I stuck velcro hooks to my bty tray and the other side to the bty then I'll wrap a velcrow strap round it passing the strap through the slots in the tray this should hold the bty in all but the very worst arrivals ie: vertical dive into terra firma and in this instance I don't think even a foam pad would protect it !! and this allows airflow uninterupted, well it would if I had air outlets holding of on them to see if they're needed as I havn't come up with a way to form them without spoiling the lines of the fuselage yet

tucano build day 8_01.jpg

That aint the flight bty in there but it gives the general idea the velcro hooks has the same slots cut in it and the bty has just 3 off 15mm wide strips placed transversly

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 03/06/2013 19:12:05

James just to clarify my last post here are 2 pics showing the placement of the the velcro on the tray and bty might make things clearer

tucano build bty mount detail.jpg

tucano build bty mount detail_01.jpg

the adhesion of the bty to tray is pretty incredible in fact its heart stoppingly good really tests the screws holding the tray in when you remove the bty.

Hope this helps mate

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

After another long building gap (mainly work getting in the way) I am on version 3 of my canopy but I am now ready to glue the clear plastic on.

Not as detailed as BEB's great "office" but I think it will do for my first one.

I have even used my new (inherited) dremmel to make the small cut out for a magnet in the canopy floor - wow that made that job easy!

pilots-in-the-office.jpg

So my next question is.. will this Zap-Goo glue work OK? It says it will stick anything and dries clear.

zap-goo.jpg

OOps perhaps you've got some clear plastic packaging some where that will give you something to practice on, just a thought my only concern is that stuff appears to be solvent based and if your not carefull with the amount you use you may end up with a mark thats visible close to the edge of the canopy some practice with it seems in order though to be fair in your situation I'd prob press on regardless and likely end up wishing I hadn't lol

(edit) Just might have to remake my cockpit now I've got that pic James 

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 19/06/2013 21:59:15

Good news is that the glue does not melt PET and it is completely clear. The tip on the glue tube is very fine so I sould be able to put down a very thin bead, it is used like a contact adhesive though so I will only get one chance to get the canopy in position so I think a need a beer before giving it a go beer

The glue seems to work well, I just tried to pull my test piece apart and the surface of the balsa pulled off and was left stuck to the bit of clear plastic, I don't think I can get better than that.

I got the glue from Midland Helicopters quite a while ago but only just opened it. It does smell very strong, enough to make you light headed (or is that just the beer I am having)

**LINK**

They do have canopy glue as well

**LINK**

Here is my finished cockpit ready for the canopy to be fitted. I may as well give it a go!

cockpit.jpg

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 19/06/2013 22:58:08

Thanks BEB, I thought I should add a little bit of detail but not spend too long on it.

The canopy is on at last, I will leave the masking tape on overnight to give the glue chance to fully cure although it does seem to grab almost instantly. I just need a few strips of solartrim to finish it off, going to have to get a whole roll of white and black but it will probably last me for years at the speed I build cheeky

canopy-fit2.jpg