Hitec Optic 6

Ian Davis 2

Advert

If its the grey Hitec Optic 6 (rather than the black Hitec Optic 6 Sport), then yes it can be easily converted to 2.4GHz.

It takes a Futaba module so plenty of options. Here are a couple:

1. Hitec Spectra 2.4GHz - Top item here, or the next one down that comes with 2 receivers
    This includes a converter antenna that screws in and replaces your 35MHz antenna. Probably the neatest solution out of the bunch. Plus most model shops stock Hitec kit.
  2. FrSky DJT 2.4GHZ - This has an antenna out the back of the module. FrSky are very good quality but also cheap. GiantShark/Robot Birds/T9 Hobbies are the main importers. Generally plenty of online retailers, but LMS are unlikely to stock them.
  3. Corona FHSS 2.4GHz - Only put this in here to say that these are crap. Much better off with FrSky
  4. Spektrum DSM2 2.4GHz - Old technology and expensive module. However its useful if you want to buy the Horizon Hobby Bind and Fly aircraft.
  5. And many others... Look for a Futaba compatiable modules.

What ever system you go with, you'll be locked into the system. This is because, unlike 35MHz, Futaba 2.4GHz receivers aren't compatible with Hitec 2.4GHz receivers, which aren't compatible with Spektrum 2.4GHz receivers, etc.

So if your thinking of upgrading to a radio in a future, it's best to choose a module that is compatible with what ever radio system you'll move to.

As a Hitec user myself, I can recommend the Hitec module. But the FrSky is also good option. Like makes of cars, washing machines, TV, etc everyone will have their own opinion on what they like.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 21/11/2012 22:36:31

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the help ,yes the transmitter is the grey optic 6 so looks like there will be no problems with a conversion.

I bought this as a starter radio but think i will upgrade at some point in the future and pass this on to my son. I will look at the Hitec module thanks again for the information always grateful for the help.

Cheers Ian

Edited By Ian Davis 2 on 22/11/2012 18:27:08

The following will assist when using the Hitec 2.4Ghz AFHSS system:

(Top half of first link does include a lot of reference to the Aurora 9, but all the information under the Modules and Receivers aso apply to the Optic 6.

. (Hitec) Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features

. Hitec Optic 6 & Optic 6 Sport - Manuals, Tutorial, Addendum & Comparison Charts

Easy to make a mount for quick change between 2.4Ghz & 35Mhz which leaves original antenna in situ.

. Spectra 2.4GHz Antenna Mast DIY easy install / remove remote mounts for single or multiple antenna on Aurora and other TX.
DIY with photo instructions x 3 examples post#2.

Alan Tong.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Hi Simon

Jeti do a conversion module: **LINK**

You do need to have the Hitec Optic 6 version of transmitter with the synthetic module tho'

The Jeti receivers are attractively priced and are very compact. I flew this combo for some time and never had a problem.

Good luck!

Pete

Edited By Peter Ward on 22/11/2012 19:16:11

Edited By Peter Ward on 22/11/2012 19:18:04

I wouldn't go this route again with the benefit of hindsight . Last year I converted and used an Optic and an Eclipse, using a Spectra module + 2 Optima 7 Rx's bought from HK for about £55 including delivery. Both worked fine, HOWEVER in programming terms they are old technology now. (The new Eclipse Pro may be ok, don't know). INSTEAD shop around for a 2nd user Hited Aurora 9 channel - superbly useable and it's chalk and cheese compared to the Optic 6. Touch screen, all defined switches, LiPo battery etc etc. I paid £160 for one WITH an Optima 9, Optima7 AND Optima 6! All pretty much as new! Then sold my Optic,2.4 module and Eclipse separately on E**y. Ended up in profit! Aurora 9 - Definitely the best value gear and most reliable on the market imho. Futaba and JR? way overpriced especially the rxs. (I have used them all plus Sanwa in the past).

I've used the Eclipse7 QPCM with a Spectra 2.4 AFHSS module for years - rock solid. I also use a Spectra 2.4 AFHSS module in an old Futaba FP-T8UP bringing an old and reliable radio bang up to date.

What you don't get is telemetry display. The low Rx battery warning is built nto the Spectra 2.4 AFHSS, I don't know about other makes. I think some modules can display telemetry by other means, e.g. laptop, Tx clip-on screen and smartphone. The Spectra 2.4 AFHSS with suitable adaptors can display telemetry on a computer/laptop as display panel and if using GPS on a radar like display or overlaid on Google Earth, either realtime or recorded.

Sorry, I don't seem to have a Google Earth screenshot to hand at the moment.

In answer to post #7, All transmitters, Eclipse 7, Optic 6, Prism 7 and the many Futaba users

(see post #6 under Spectra 2.4GHz Antenna Mast DIY easy install / remove remote mounts )

can have on screen display via:.

. Telemetry - HTS-Iview I-Phone App information & Download page. Iview Iphone Sound Features, manual etc.
. (Hitec’s 2.4GHz telemetry on your iPod touch / iPhone and iPad)

. Telemetry - Bluetooth & Android App.. Android Readout & Voice Video Demo .. (Aftermarket, not made nor tested by Hitec)

and of course listen via speaker or earphone:

Telemetry - HTS-Voice Voice Announcing System. (includes manual and firmware update details).

and more under

. (Hitec) Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan Tong.

Posted by Tony Smith 7 on 23/11/2012 09:04:43:

One thing not mentioned is that the Hitec Optic takes Futaba standard modules, but mounts them upside-down compared to Futaba. Make sure that you will be happy with the way the antenna points once the module's fitted

A Futaba module is not being discussed. All Futaba conversions known locally are using Hitec AFHSS system in lieu of Futaba. The Hitec module fits correct way up in an Optic 6 and even reversed for a Futaba installation, makes little difference because of the method of antenna mounting - again as in post #8.

(see post #6 under Spectra 2.4GHz Antenna Mast DIY easy install / remove remote mounts )

Alan T.

As somone has already said don't bother going the conversation route.

Buy an Aurora 9 I bought one a couple of months ago after having a dreadful experience with a DX8. Looked at all the different radios and for the money the Aurora is streets ahead of any thing else.

Airtek have them on offer at £282 with a 9 channel and a 6 channel receiver. I got mine from a local shop that priced matched there offer.

There is also one on helliadict at the moment second hand for £150 here's the link **LINK**

You can buy Minima receivers for only £23.99 if you shop about and HK are now doing a couple of receivers as well.

My advise would be sell what you have on ebay and move up to a fantastic radio at a fraction of what the likes of JR Spektrum and Futaba would ask for something this good.

In the sense that the Aurora 9 brought in simple intuitive touch selection from menus, definable channel allocations, user defined switches etc. For example you touch a picture of the tx switches to decide which switch controls a feature. Once you have used this technology you find the older systems of inputting codes and numbers and dependance on the manual rather outdated. Several times I returned to my Eclipse to use on 35MHz and later 2.4GHz for slope soarers (as I didn't want to take the Aurora tx on the mountain) and it now seemed irritating. For instance, selecting Glider mode for an electric soarer (the only way to get differential ailerons) put the motor control on a switch with no way (at least none I ever found) of opting to control speed on the throttle stick. With all newer radios and especially the Aurora, this programming would be very simple.

Hence my opinion, that for the money it's best to move on with the technology rather than keep flogging dead horsed and throw good money after bad. If your interest is in keeping vintage stuff going ( I still have Macgregor 4 channel stuff somewhere, but I wouldn't want it in my moulded glider) that's fine and good luck to you!

Have a look at what brand names like Turnigy and Walrkera (Devo 8 etc) are offering for the money BEFORE you start lashing out £90 for a module and rx to keep an old tx alive - that's all I'm saying.

I think the days of Futaba, JR etc keeping prices high on the myth that only they make reliable radio are going fast and yes, I've owned (and sold) those brands too.

Posted by A.T. on 24/11/2012 05:00:21:

A Futaba module is not being discussed.

True, but three of the four recommended modules are "Futaba fitting", which is actually what I meant. As such they fit the Optic upside down compared to their fit in an actual Futaba transmitter. I used to use an Optic 6 with Frsky DFT module, which is a cost effective conversion as long as you're happy reversing the antenna mount.

In my opinion the Optic seems to be the most capable 6 channel set around. It doesn't suffer from the limitation mentioned above, you can have aileron differential, flapperons, crow braking etc at the same time as using the throttle as a throttle. That's how I had my electric glider set, using the left slider for brakes with power on the throttle.

Athough Aurora is clearly more advanced, if the original poster is happy with his Optic then Frsky offer conversion to a robust 2.4GHz system complete with telemetry for less than £20..

Thanks for clearing that up Phil. The touch screen at the bottom of the Tx is not a big attraction to me though of course it could be really important for some people.

The input system I really don't like is the roller fitted to some Spektrum TXs; again though I'm sure some people love it.

The Optic6 has nearly as many features as the old Eclipse 7 and so Ian Davis may be wanting to stick with it. Since his original question was "can it be done" that would appear to be the case and the answer is, "Yes" - with a wide range of modules to choose from. If he does buy the the Hitec Spectra module he may be able to get an good deal on a used A9 a later date that does not have one. He would be able to make full use of the A9's telemetry display too.

Hi all,

Thanks Ian Jones as a newbie it did seem my original question was lost in translation, however i have had some useful information and considering i have to stick to a budget, selling and upgrade might not be the best way forward. I thought the optic 6 would be a good starter radio and i could build from that.

Remember we all have to start somewhere and when your new to the hobby then you can easily drown in a glut of info, there are many of you that are seasoned model builders/flyers so please spare a thought for the guys who like me are just getting started.

Thanks everyone for the help

cheers Ian

• 5 months later...

Hi All, a new member here, joined because its one of the few sites that use Hitec. I bought a quad from a local model shop and they recommended a Hitec Optic Sport 6 as a suitable radio.As I said I'm using it with a quad an IFLY-4, there are three flight modes available, as a learner I want access to all three to assess and find what will work best for me. The problem is my method for for configuration of the 3 position switch was being affected by other control inputs. When I turned left or right it would change from altitude hold to expert mode... not good. Here is how I tried to set it up.

The 3 position switch on the left side of the Optic 6 Sport transmitter can be used for selecting the flight mode using the camber mix once the switch positions are activated. Here's how to do it.

Turn on the radio and press both edit buttons at the same time, channel 1 and the % sign after 100 will flash. Select channel 6 using the scroll buttons.
Press any one of the up or down edit buttons to scroll through the selections. Stop when you see FLT.C Set the 3 way switch to it's rearmost position. ST1 will flash at the bottom and you will see Inh. This switch position is off. Pressing both data buttons will turn this switch postion on. Set the switch to the most forward position and do the same thing. This is position ST2. The middle position is NOR (normal and always on)

Now that the switch positions are activated scroll to the camb selection.
Set the 3 position switch to the rearmost position.

Channel 1 and % will flash. Set 1 to 0% and using the cursor buttons select channel 6 and set 6 to -100% (this will be the first selection on the IFLY TOOLS Mode option)

Now set the switch to the middle position.
Set 1 to 0% and 6 to 0%( this will be the second selection on the IFLY TOOLS Mode option)

Now set the switch all the way forward set 1 to 0% and set 6 to +100%
( this will be the last selection on the IFLY TOOLS Mode option)

Check that you now have the following settings by going through the menu again, then press the two edit buttons to exit programming.
ST1 0% on channel 1 -100% on channel 6 I set that to Balance and Altitude
NOR 0% on channel 1 0% on channel 6 I set that to Balance
ST2 0% on channel 1 +100% on channel 6 I set that to Manual

• 2 months later...

I've narrowed my choice of a new radio set down to either an Aurora 9 or the Eclipse 7. I've looked at the spec sheets so have some idea of the differences but wanted to check if anyone had used both and their thoughts on the matter. I don't need the 9 channels so am leaning towards the Eclipse. Its screen is smaller,--can all the information get on it OK? Bob C in Kansas, USA