Electric Haze

FunnyFlyer

electrichaze.jpg

Hi folks - going to build this great looking 1986 plane - based on Ian's Purple Haze design from the 70s. Used to see him fly them when I was a spotty teenager, at Northampton's Racecourse Park.

One metre span, the original was 2 - 2.5 lbs with a brushed 550 motor, heavy NiCads and standard gear. Modern equipment should shave nearly a pound off that!

Should be a great park flyer - and also rides the retro trend.

Edited By FunnyFlyer on 23/11/2012 14:02:55

Advert

Posted by Eamonn Fahey on 23/11/2012 16:02:25:

Does he like Jimi Hendrix or Ribena? face 1

I believe the name had the same source as Jimi Hendrix's inspiration but Ian's wife was also called Hazel.

BTW it was Hazel who posed with Ian's models when he advertised the kits in the mags. face 1

I used to meet them in the 80's at the Primrose Valley model holiday week.

Well... updating these retro planes should be easy - but they still need some thinking and planning.

For example - changing a single centre mounted aileron servo for two micros in the wing should be simple. Okay - so I need to build in some rails between a rib bay and a thin ply plate in each wing panel. I'd prefer to put them mid-span, but the standard leads are way too short. So they go a bit more inboard than I'd like. Oh, and it only has sheeting on the top surface of the wings - so I must add some on the bottom to allow the servo leads to exit and support the covering. This then impacts the dimensions and fitting of the centre section ribs and the ply dihedral brace.

Onwards and upwards!

Use ervo extension leads which are so cheap now 50 to 60 pence each or a Y lead at 1.99 from The Component Shop etc.

Or see any of Peter Millers designs for a bellcrank set up if you dont like torque rods.

But this is a tiny model so weight is critical

• 2 years later...

Since returning to model flying after a 30 year break I have been looking for a plan for the Purple Have having built one from a purchased kit and a second from the plan. The plan was borrowed by another club member who left the club and never returned it. I understand that funnyFlyer succeeded in obtaining a plan. If still registered can he please advise me.

I like the idea of models from the 70s & 80s being revisited and I rather fancy building a 'Haze' from plans, but with some sensible strengthening here and there to cope with the modern power available. As has been said, with modern 'leccy gear it'll go very well and look just right. Perhaps a candidate for a mass build project? Pity that IP doesn't write in the mainstream modelling press anymore, (he'd bring a bit of interest to the BMFA mag as well.) I used to like his writing style and sideways view of modelling matters.

Just had a look at the RM plan and I had to laugh at the description............

An 'environmentally friendly' 1 metre span electric powered sport and aerobatic model capable of sparkling performance and average flight times of between 10 and 15 minutes on nicad cells.

Nicads, environmentally friendly? Ten to fifteen minute flights of sparkling performance with half a house brick's worth of batteries and radio gear...........yeah, right!

How times have changed..........thank heavens.

• 6 months later...

Hi, Ian nice to know you're still modelling. thumbs up

I used to especialy enjoy your airbrush demos at Primrose Valley. Unfortunately I've never been able to emulate anything approaching your skills. I now mostly resort to heat film or tex with trim in contrasting colours from the same material or the odd sortie with a few rattle cans - definitely nothing over ambitious. wink 2

Regards to yourself & Hazel,

Pat.

As a total off-topic, but seeing as the man himself has popped up....

Ian, I loved your airbrushing style of applying surface detail back in the day. I particularly recall the Leicester Model Centre jets plus your electric Spitfire plan.

So much so that when I built my hawk from a plan I had to try the "Peacock Way". Worked out Ok if I say so myself.

pict2056.jpg

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 09/01/2016 22:18:05