Best Trainer

Ron Harrison

Having just trashed my Seagull Arising Star, I am now looking for something new to hang my SC46 off the front of!Thought about another, nice and cheap but, am also considering:-Seagull Cessna or ARC Ready 2Not really interested in Tutor 40, Tiger, or Ripmax.All thoughts, and recommendations appreciated.Ron

Advert

I can thoroughly recommend The Seagull Boomerang. My son and I both learned and took our A tests on this model and I finally parked it in a tree from which we had to pull it appart to get it down. Even so I bought another one to hack around with. They are cheap and fly well on the SC46 you have. It has a semi-symmetrical wing which is different from the Arising Star I think it makes it slightly more capable of aerobatics.

Bruce 

Ron, look at the plane nutz web site for a cheap trainer, 40 size for £39! It looks OK.

I know you don.t want either a Irvine tutor, or ripmax 40, but if you did I would go for the Irvine tutor 40, I have had both and its definately the best of the two. (In my humble opinion).

Dave

Hi, Ron,

In my opinion, you are correct to go for a semi-symmetrical wing section, better for aerobatics and able to cope better with turbulance.

ARC READY 2 is a good model but I have known a couple to break the main u/c legs in a heavy arrival. Pity you don't like the TUTOR 40, I have taught a couple of newcomers who had them and they are pretty good.

hi ron IMHO you could try the ARC Jupiter, this is a low winger but makes a good second 

model i have flown two of these from our slightly rough grass strip [damn moles]and they coped quite well. i never broke the under cart on either one even doing six touch and goes ithink they fly better than the ARC CARDINAL [HAD TWO OF THOSE AS WELL] HAVE GOT JUPITER number three awaiting assembly.

Ron - As a relative newb I can comment on the two trainers i have flown - tutor 40 and prangster.

The tutors slow, stable and easy to fly. A bit too easy imo.

The prangsters quicker (teaches you throttle control v quickly ) and v manouverable. Turn the rates down and you have a seriously robust trainer plane. Its my favourite because i can throw it in the car with no worries. In theory it'll take harder landings than the tutor but its not something I test (I always aim to land with engine running and right side up

oh - and the prangsters fugly. It hit every branch when it fell from the ugly tree

Hi Ron the two trainers that got me going in this hobby / sport were the ripmax nova and the arising star. Of the two, no contest, the arising star wins hands down in my humble opinion. It gave me the most service and was the better flying machine. I know that there is now a lot of new trainers on the market but, knowing how it worked for me if i was starting over again i would stick with the arising star till i was ready for a first low winger like the jupiter which i also had and found a very good machine. Good luck in your quest and happy flying.

Pretty much decided now that a Kalm 60, from Wholesale Planes is going to be the replacement for the Arising Star.

Am relaibly informed that it is slightly better than the Arising Star, Semi-symetrical wing Section  otherwise no real difference.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Happy Landings

Ron 

I will add my 50p on trainers if that's ok! Middle Stik i highly recommend!

I flew this as a trainer with a 40 on the nose it was solid... after about 6 months of flying i smacked a 60 on it and with some mods it was a machine of the sky in sport flying! thats 10 years ago, and its the only model standing today.. fuel soaked, full of epoxy but it flies true! Maybe just a lucky model? i have had other trainer's and they fall to bits!

Ron

If you only have the choice of these 2 models then i cant give you a honest answer as i have never flown any of these 2 types! Ripmax to me however because of there name brand seems a good model but then i am judging by the cover of the book not the story!

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1220.html

Personally i would go for this! these sit solid in the air, stable and they dont bite and as a trainer they awesome, want some more they make very good sport/ pattern aerobatic trainers! Loose the nose wheel, put a tail wheel/ skid then even better!

Reference the Ripmax trainer, looks the same as the Hype Trainer .40, i have flown this http://www.hype-rc.de/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=437&category_id=5ae00d8044a30098204e4fc0b0910cdc&mod_title=product

I got one for 130 euros with the motor, easy to fly & as a trainer with a motor if all goes bad its not denting your pocket to much! i got mine to teach the kids but they not interestested in flying so its sat in the hanger. I have knocked 30 odd flights and not a dent! I know the site is German but if you ring them they speak English and they post DHL 2-3 days for stuff...

Sorry if i have diverted from your qusetion but there's so many option's!

Thanks for your input Dustin, 

Not really interested in the Great Planes as it is a bit of a Plank, thanks all the same.

Compared the German Hype offering with the Kalm and there does not seem to be a lot in it!

You are right there is so much, too much, choice out there.

Going to put the lid on this now as it is not really getting anywhere. Just going round in circles.

Will fly my old Twin Star or Easy Glider electric until we come back from Tenerife and then will have to make my choice for better or for worse.

Ron 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ron,

Sorry to hear that you've trashed your Arising Star, but I guess that happens all the time when you're learning. I've just acquired a 2nd hand one but it needs a couple of parts.  Do you have anything salvageable from your trash?  In particular,  I'm looking for a nose wheel steering arm.

Richard

Sorry Richard but I have had to use it on the replacement as when I tightened the one which came with the Kalm 60, the threads stripped!

I had to use the old Nose Leg also as the one with the Kalm was too short and gave the model a definite nose down attitude when on the ground.

Ron

Ron,

If I remember correctly, if you push out the metal insert in the nose leg horn you will find that there is another threaded hole on the other side of the insert. You can the push the insert in the  other way round and use the new thread. I know you have another horn but this may be useful for the future.