workshop insurance

Paul  Williams

Has anyone managed to get fire and theft insurance for their wookshop?

Having just spent 15mins on the phone trying to increase my outbuildings ins I have failed to get insurance above £2000. It hit home the other day just how much of a disaster it would be should the worst happen. years of buying workshop tools and equipment now amount to far more than I could ever claim for and thats not including the models.

I have tried to obtain a seperate policy but no one wants to know. Any ideas ?

Advert

Hi Paul, be very careful. My workshop in Scotland was broken into, and a bundle of bits stolen. The insurance company wriggled and squirmed, and tried every trick to avoid paying. they claimed my planes were vehicules, and needed separate cover. Then they treated me like a criminal. I suppose they found it difficult to believe that a model plane was worth several thousand pounds. But, how do you value 3 months of work, etcetc. Eventually, they offered to cover tools, so beware

ernie

That BMFA insurance does look good. Just one thing - its explicitly excludes any building which has been unoccupied for 60 days or more. Does that mean outbuildings are not included I wonder? If they are included I may very well be interested myself.

If you make enquiries Paul could you let us know any general (non-personal obviously) information.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/11/2012 13:02:10:

That BMFA insurance does look good. Just one thing - its explicitly excludes any building which has been unoccupied for 60 days or more. Does that mean outbuildings are not included I wonder? If they are included I may very well be interested myself.

If you make enquiries Paul could you let us know any general (non-personal obviously) information.

BEB

From the Insurance Company's FAQs:

Q. What if I store my equipment within a wooden shed?
A. We recognise that equipment will be stored in such places. As long as the shed is secure and locked with a closed shackle padlock, cover is in force with the exception of storm and flood occurrences

Looks like we're okay for locked garages and outbuildings.

Does not your home insurance cover items that most ordinary modellers have on or in their Building and Contents insurance?

I know at one time I would take out insurance for holidays. Covering baggage etc. I subsequently learnt that most items were covered by Home Insurance, as temporarily removed from home clause.

The problem with any insurance is that any claim, within a defined period is probably going to ensure a higher premium or a lack of interest. Although inconvenient, having worked with a small number of people over the many years, who saw the policy as how you obtained a new hall carpet etc., I can see why it happens.

Sounds all good but my workshop is a converted static caravan, i wonder how i'd get it covered, it couldnt be stolen though since it was placed into the side garden using a crane! And i believe its far more secure than a shed, its alarmed and has cctv and most nights i'll just sleep in it because she winds me up beyond belief, we have a power cut just now and the only place in the area warm with power is the caravan haha, saying that i'm sure the whole neighbourhood knows since the manifold of my diesel generator has cracked devil

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/11/2012 13:02:10:

BEB

10k of cover is quoted at £70ish my home insurance gives 75k for £119 so its a bit on the expensive side,

I have wrote to them asking for a bespoken policy I will let you know the reply

• 1 year later...