Cranfield A1

Edwin Brown

I have been given a Cranfield A1 recently. It is a low wing sports plane with approx. a 7ft wingspan. I would like to restore it but I know nothing about the plane. When I googled it a link was shown to a You Tube video of one flying. Has anyone got any knowledge of them, who they were made by and whether spares are available? Eddie Brown

Yes I remember them as well, as I recall Pat French Models produced two kit versions the larger and a 40i/c version about 56" span. One of the guys in our club had one which I did the check fly with, flew reasonably well as I recall but it was probably mid to late eighties. Someone might have a plan tucked away.

Lindsay

As best I can remember, the full-size Cranfield A1 was designed by personnel of the Flight Dept., College of Aeronautics, Cranfield, and was intended to combine all the most desirable features for an aerobatic aircraft of that period. All I recall is that the tapered wing had a straight trailing edge aligned with the pilot's head position. I left Cranfield around '62 and I think the A1 came shortly after that. Sorry I can't help with model info., but I'll watch this thread with interest. Happy hunting.

This an excellent response, most interesting. It would be really helpful if I could find some where from whom I could buy the models original building instructions. Hopefully this would give information on such things as recomended engine sizes and C of G information. I am assuming that it will need at least a 90 to 1.20 size engine. One can only hope! Eddie.

Hi Eddie

As we speak I am building the PFM Cranfield A1.Have both models of the Cranfield.Small 56" and large 77"The 77inch box lay in the attic for close to 25 years.Thought I"d give it a bash.Have all the plans(a little faded).Build the plane only ,but have not covered it.Will go electric.

If we make contact I will send you photos and any information about the kit.

Rgds Hymie Munitz (Sydney Australia)

• 1 month later...

Hi Ed

Thank you for your reply.If possible could I have your e mail address and I will send your all the relevant information about the Cranfield A1 by Pat French.To date I have completed the model with and electric conversion.What a "beauty"

PS I am more familiar with posting photos on e mail.

Rgds Hymie Munitz Email drmunitz@bigpond .net.au

• 1 month later...

Just been catching up on a TV programme I recorded a couple of weeks ago, "A Great British Air Disaster" on Ch4 about the loss of the early DH Comets over the med. The closing interview is with Graham Braithwaite, described as a Professor of Safety and Accident Investigation. The interview is conducted inside what appears to be a hangar or large shed, and he is standing in front of G-COAI, the aircraft in my picture above. (i'd photoshopped the registration out when I used it in an aircraft recognition thread a couple of years ago). I'm assuming he's on the staff at Cranfield, and as the program was made in 2012 according to the credits, it would seem that at least the old girl has now been put under cover, though she still has the ugly extended canopy.

One of our regular forum members, Bob Cotsford, told me recently that he used to have the PFM Cranfield A1, the larger version. I had mentioned that I had flown a PFM Team Special biplane for many years and also the Giant Zlin, which prompted his recollection.

I thought that Pat French produced some excellent models. (Economy Scale). Eventually he sold the business to Stagg Models in Northampton, I think, but sadly I don't think they ever did anything with it, but I might be wrong. He was also a keen motorbike man and bought the rights to build Metisse motorcycle frames from the Rickman Bros. He ran this business in Bristol very successfully until he sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

The Cranfield A1 is a great subject, if little known and deserves to be resurrected. Although I totalled my Team Special many years ago, I've still got the Giant Zlin in repairable condition and recently acquired an unopened kit on EBay. It would be great to see these excellent designs re-launched by someone, though I suppose that it's unlikely.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Hi again

Had a Cranfield A1 2 meter version made form Metterhausen kits( fiberglass fuselage and sheeted foam wings) in the beginning of the eighties. Flew fantastic.
This kit is no longer available, but the fuselage/ cowling and canopy is still available in Germany.  Got all the parts prepared and will make it fly again. Used a geared Webra twin at that time, slightly overpowered. next one will use a Webra 30-2 twin. 

OK all, Paul Bardoe bought up the rights to all the PFM kits a couple of years ago.  I borrowed the NOS kit of the Zlin from Colin Leighfield (above) and Paul copied everything to re- start making the Zlin & some of the PFM kit range.  The Zlin is now available from PB Models and he should have the plans and patterns for the Cranfield too.  Get in touch and ask if you are still looking for plans.