Digifleet custom 3 pro 7

70s modeller

I have a Custom 3 6 channel and the later PCM 7, I wasn't aware of a Custom 3 pro 7, is this one with a black vynil case or a later model. Do you have a picture, the adjustments on my custom 3 were limited to 6 pots in the back, 4 did the main channel throw adjustment (& reversing) and the other 2 set the dual rates on the aileron and levator channels.

The PCM7 had a series of dip switches to do the mixing/reversing and also switch between PCM and PPM mode.

Do you have a photo of the Tx.

I'll have a look and see if I still have the instructions for my Custon 3 6 channel set, but it definitely wasn't 20 pages, more like 8 (A5 size) as there was not much in the way of adjustment and most of the instructions were related to how to install the servos etc.

Note the pin assignment on Fleet is different than modern day servos so if you are using a Fleet Rx you'll need either Fleet servos or to change the wires on the plugs over.

Dear 70's modeller,

I will happy copy the manual for you so perhaps you can leave your address on 'my messages'. However I will not have time prior to Christmas to carry out the copying task.

The receiver you have spare would be useful to test out the radio control. I stopped using the Fleet gear as it has failed 'range-checks' At distance the servos start to glitch. I did acquire a second receiver but it made no difference. One of the transmitters shown needs new batteries but the PCM-MX7 is OK.

I flew my RM trainer some years ago with the Fleet gear to pass my club field test. However when I last used the Fleet gear the RM Trainer 'piled in' but was easily repaired and now has Futaba gear.

Mike

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 20/12/2012 12:27:03

• 2 weeks later...

hi mike sorry to jumpin on this but i have been given two digifleet tx's and rx's for xmas from the wife ...they were an e-bay buy for a tenner but alas no manuals or charge leads so could i possibly trouble you for a copy of that manual you have ......also if you interested in selling yours i would be very interested !!!regards shane .....happy xmas and newyear to you to ........nerd

Ok Shane I was going to suggest to '70's modeller' that scanned copies of the instructions would be easier than photo copying in which case I would need to know E-mail addresses and which 'word formats' you are both using? The instructions are up to 16 pages long ( 2 per A4 sheet I think?)

The gear I have includes a new charger and some of the servos are new. It seems sad to retire what looks to be excellent gear but of course repair by the company who took over from Fleet appears no longer on offer. However which bits of the collection are you interested in?

Mike

Hi guys! I was surfing the web, and found this thread. I have a question that isn't R/C plane related, but directly involves the hardware in Mike's pic. I recently acquired an old set piece from a theater show, and it has a DigiFleet PCM controller installed in it to control the lights. Looking through pics on the web, it appears to be the receiver shown in your pic above, Mike. I need to get one of the transmitters to get it working. The receiver is wired into a dimmer switch, which won't turn on the lights without the transmitter input. The battery port is also empty. I'm guessing I need to plug a battery pack into it for the receiver to work. I can post a pic of the receiver for you, if necessary. I don't have much hope that I'll find a corresponding crystal either, so unless I can find a matching 81 crystal, I'll need to get a matching set of crystals also. Anything you guys can think of that I need to make the receiver work? Thanks guys!

hi mike my e-mail is [email protected] and adobe format if possible if not anything good for you mate .....regarding the gear anything or all would be good i do need a charger as there wasnt one with the stuff the wife got me but am interested in most old stuff as i have lots of old kalt helicopters that i like to fly on old 35 meg gear 25plus helicopters......so have a think and let me know ......i only fly scale and never far from where i am seated in me wheel chair so signal doesnt have to go far.... lol ....regards shane...and happynew year to all !!!!

Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/01/2013 08:43:24:

That's a blast from the past. Probably wouldn't trust really old radio sets on my models, especially Fleet, as they were obsolete back in the early 80's.

I've got some old fleet extension leads, somewhere...

Not sure why you say especially Fleet, I upgrades from a 27mhz Futaba 4KL to a Custom 3 and them PCM7 and they both served me well for over 20 years, still got them but though non-use the batteries have all gone bad. I only finally upgraded so I could have model memories and more programbility. I still fly one of my gliders with a Fleet 35 mhz Rx from a Cockpit Sx 35 mhz radio.

Posted by phantomfett on 31/12/2012 21:49:35:
Hi guys! I was surfing the web, and found this thread. I have a question that isn't R/C plane related, but directly involves the hardware in Mike's pic. I recently acquired an old set piece from a theater show, and it has a DigiFleet PCM controller installed in it to control the lights. Looking through pics on the web, it appears to be the receiver shown in your pic above, Mike. I need to get one of the transmitters to get it working. The receiver is wired into a dimmer switch, which won't turn on the lights without the transmitter input. The battery port is also empty. I'm guessing I need to plug a battery pack into it for the receiver to work. I can post a pic of the receiver for you, if necessary. I don't have much hope that I'll find a corresponding crystal either, so unless I can find a matching 81 crystal, I'll need to get a matching set of crystals also. Anything you guys can think of that I need to make the receiver work? Thanks guys!

Phantomfett, an alternative would be to just use a servo tester like these, you'll need to change the plug on the wire from the Rx as Fleet used a different pin order, then you would just connect the battery to the servo tester, and turning the knob simulates moving the controls on the Transmitter.

If you want to operate it remotely the options are to keep looking for a workable Fleet PCM Tx or replace the Fleet Rx with a newer Transmitter and Reciever, which can be picked up pretty cheap these days.

Also you state it has crystal 81, is this a 35 Mhz receiver, if it is it should only be used for aircraft, I'm guess your appication doesn't fly.......................... If it's 40 mhz (surface vehicles) you might be better posting on a boat forum.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 01/01/2013 09:10:49:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 01/01/2013 08:43:24:

That's a blast from the past. Probably wouldn't trust really old radio sets on my models, especially Fleet, as they were obsolete back in the early 80's.

I've got some old fleet extension leads, somewhere...

Not sure why you say especially Fleet, I upgrades from a 27mhz Futaba 4KL to a Custom 3 and them PCM7 and they both served me well for over 20 years, still got them but though non-use the batteries have all gone bad. I only finally upgraded so I could have model memories and more programbility. I still fly one of my gliders with a Fleet 35 mhz Rx from a Cockpit Sx 35 mhz radio.

The reason is that a Fleet user many years ago had a few models go in using the gear. Wasn't pilot error, mainly interference or something else.

Also Fleet never got out of the 70's, still using old technology and styles - for example their computer radio used Dip switches to reverse channels, mix etc. At the time JR had the X-347 and Futaba had the excellent FF7. Fleet went out of business around the turn of the Millenium.

Shane and 70's modeller,

I will scan the the manual in JPEG images then this week and forward them.

As for the Fleet gear my thoughts as mentioned before are that both the receivers are suspect and hence the glitching problem with the servos which starts at about 10 yards or so. Of course a receiver of different manufacture cannot be introduced, an experiment I have not tried. I would be happy to sell the whole of the gear rather than bits and pieces ---but what is it worth?

Phantomfett,

I was surprised to hear about the lighting control as during my working life I often specified Rank Strand lighting control / dimmer gear for theatre equipment mainly in schools. The last time I did this was on a scheme in a new Civic facility in Enfield a few years ago but I found out that it was no longer possible to deal with Rank Strand directly and had to involve a theatre lighting company.

I have an old Digitfleet MX7 kit thats about 20 years old. Do you reckon the servos, FPS-17's are still worth using? They were hardly used back then. If I change the wiring to each servo to JR leads and run them through a servo tester it should be ok?

Posted by DG3 on 01/01/2013 11:26:07:

I have an old Digitfleet MX7 kit thats about 20 years old. Do you reckon the servos, FPS-17's are still worth using? They were hardly used back then. If I change the wiring to each servo to JR leads and run them through a servo tester it should be ok?

For a non demanding application they should be fine, I have a couple of fleet servos buried in the wing of my Wildthing, flown for over 10 years, I've made up a couple of adaptor leads so I can put a 2.4 Rx in and still swap back to one of my Fleet Rx's if back on 35 mhz