Digifleet custom 3 pro 7

70s modeller

• 2 months later...

I'm in possession of a complete Digifleet Custom III radio control system, 6 channel with two rate switches. It was used twice to set up a helicopter but, failing my ability to fly it, was sold on but RCS system retained. It's all as purchased, including instructions, price lists, catalogue, unused mounting trays etc. The system is 35MHz on channel 74. The expanded polystyrene box has wear and the card sleeve a bit battered. I'm checking it all out and then going to put in on eBay as I no longer have any intention of making or using radio control aircraft again.

Out of interest Digifleet made a seven channel Pro-7 MK II, as noted in previous correspondence above, and also a purpose made 6 channel Helicopter Outfit. This was quite sophisticated and announced in May 1983 from the flyer. The more expensive unit had an 'inverted' switch. I've the simple , typed, copy of this Helicopter Outfit showing details for each switch and connection details for the Gyro . Hope this is of interest.

I too have the first Fleet Heli set with typed instuctions and I also have the Gyro set. I also have the Pro 7 set. This had plug in modules for various mixes and you can swap over from mode one to mode two by simply swapping over plugs on the stick pots.

I had no trouble with several Fleet sets over the years. The only one that was a problem was one of the very last Heli sets which self ignited one day at the field, while still switched off. I heard later that this was not an isolated incident.

Hi Tom. Wish I could have afforded one at the time, gyro would have really helped. My purchase was based on the fact that Fleet equipment was used by so many users, amateur and professional, at the time and was highly thought of. I've recharged my old set up and it still works perfectly, though how long the batteries will hold a charge I'm not sure. The servos all work as smoothly as ever. What on earth made your Heli set self ignite, bet that was a costly experience?

Martin

The gyro weighed a ton and was made by Sanwa with Fleet plugs. It needed it's own battery pack to drive the large flywheels in the gyro and it vibrated thoughout the heli frame, but it worked, what a difference.

It still works to this day as a static exibit, people just have to see it to believe it.

I never used the invert switch on a heli but I found it very helpful for showing off, flying fixed wing inverted very near to the ground.

• 1 year later...

Yet another blast from the past ;but also the present. I have several sets of Fleet gear, mostly PCM and one FM, together with a bunch of servos, chargers, spare crystals, small 4 channel RX and many 7channel. Nearly all in good working order and in use. Following a workshop accident involving a large jar of clear dope I do not have a readable copy of the manuals etc. Can anyone help out? If anyone needs bits and pieces thatI have spare, ready to send free.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Peter the receiver battery has four AA cells so it is 4.8v nominal voltage. The Transmitter has eight cells so it 9.6v nominal voltage. It may be unused but it was manufactured a long time ago so the question is where was it stored? If it was stored in a garage, shed or even loft there may be black wire corrosion in the wires from the battery to the circuit board. The main circuit board may be corroded too so I would take a look - just in case. If there is no corrosion after a new set of batteries it should be OK.

Great advice, many thanks .The other area I am a little unsure about is the Digifleet wiring, if for example I fit new TX batteries do I connect red to red and the same applies to the RX battery but with the added complexity of the white wire. Does anyone know if Digifleet plugs/connectors can still be obtained?

Peter Baxter

If you have a battery charger capable of monitoring discharge, it would be very interesting to see how those unused original batteries perform over some test cycles. I've heard that new NiCds could be stored almost indefinitely in the discharged condition - and some of the earlier NiCds seemed to be much better quality than many of the later ones.

Yes Peter, fortunately red is always positive (on this planet at least!) but the white wire is the signal wire with Digifleet radio so it is not connected to the batteries, as I am sure you appreciate. I don't know if you are using Digifleet servos (FPS-17 perhaps?) but the plugs are wired differently from all other RC equipment on the market today! Digifleet have the negative wire in the middle and the positive on the outside so that they plug into a Fleet receiver fine but not anyone else's without swapping the wires around. Conversely if you are plugging a non-fleet servo into a Fleet receiver you will need to swap the pins in the plug around by lifting the little tab and sliding the metal connectors out. Then push them back in the correct way for the Fleet receiver. The convention now is positive wire in the middle.

I doubt you can still get the digifleet connectors and they are now likely to be old, corroded and brittle so best left alone. Just get some new connectors from your LMS or eBay and solder them on. The universal plugs will fit in a Fleet receiver, but as always, just make sure you push it in the correct way round or it won't work!

My apologies if you know all this already.

• 1 year later...

Piers

I have compiled a data sheet showing where you can get plugs, sockets, pins, tools and cable to make up all your own leads.

I now remove any batteries in my Tx's and crimp a Futaba socket on the end of the cable. This way I can store trannies minus batteries and install them before use. The Component shop 2600mAh 4.8v square pack fitted with Futaba connectors is ideal for this job.

If I'm not too late I can send the data sheet....

• 6 years later...
On 02/01/2013 at 23:46, Mike Etheridge 1 said:

Shane and 70's modeller.

Scan of manual now complete. The zipped JPEG file size is about 9mb. All files will open in 'Paint'

70's Modeller I will need your e-mail address. Shane I will e-mail you in the next few minutes.

Regards,

Mike

I know this is quite an old thread but I'd be very interested in scans too please. I've messaged you privately too.

I believe you can swap throttle modes on this transmitter. I've done the spring/ratchet swap but not sure which switches are related to the process.