The February Grand Prize Draw

Advert

After my reading my comment I would like to add my thoughts about the Tiger Moth, whenever I see a Moth it makes me think of all those young battle of brittain pilots who had there first experience of flight in one then shortly after being lost in action.I also think about how wonerful it must have been when they got there wings after there first solo.This aeroplane was the making of some of our finest and bravest  heros.Everyone seems very eager to win this tiger moth as I am but I think it is also very important to remember the personal history of this type of aeroplane.

here goes another entry and another disapointment

Aas for your queston about the tig moths attacking a battleship according to my sources at the the fleet air arm it never happened However they were used to illuminate targets for the guns of the capitol ships during the earely phases of world war II and as the box lid is so small I cannot see if there are any Moths actualy droping bombs.

As well as flares they were fitted with insignificant bomb racks with the initial intentions of attacking any U boats that may have tried transiting the channel before the fall of France.

Please count me in.

First time entering a comp here so maybe beginners luck will win out.

A salute to Ross Harrison's comment about all the brave RAF novices who spent their training in a moth and the likes; only to be killed in action with less than a day of solo flight under their belts. Those are the boys that made Britain GREAT.

Gents, 

I don't know whether the Tiger Moth / Battleship attack question has been answered, but I believe that during World War II, several RAF Tiger Moths were converted into radio-controlled flying bombs as an experiment. Apparently, these 'aerial torpedos' were launched against old battleship targets, but proved unreliable.

I've found a few references to this on Google, but can find nothing conclusive.

Cheers,

Pat Quinn