BMFA Membership renewal.

gerry m

I have just received a card prompting me to renew my BMFA membership.

The card was also stating that I could now renew with their new on-line subscription service. Great idea that should make things nice and simple-no!

After following the instructions and registering etc I should have received an e-mail with a secure link to click on and then enter my payment details or so I thought. Despite numerous retrys I have yet to receive an e-mail and cannot proceed any further. It looks like I will have to resort to good old snail mail again and hope the cheque arrives.

Has anyone else tried this system yet and met with success. It seems to my limited experience that the BMFA is a bit flaky on the admin side.

Gerry M

Advert

I haven't tried the new system myself but have heard of others using it successfully. I suspect Essjay's reply might prove to have the answer. In the past (pre-2006) I usually renewed by credit card by ringing the BMFA office, as per Martyn's suggestion.

I'll be renewing my BMFA membership for next year (as in all years since 2006) by handing myself the money, then thanking myself very much for it and handing myself a receipt card for it. Yep, like BEB does for his club, I handle our club's BMFA renewals. An alternative to the paper form-filling and posting with a cheque for club returns would be most welcome! But it certainly ain't happening yet as I already have a fresh stock of paper forms for 2013...

I just renewed my membership via the BMFA internet system on December 14th. I immediately received a confirmation email which can be used as temporary membership proof. Great idea paid by credit card too. Not yet received the originals but I don't need this to renew my club mambership.

Used internet renewal last night, dead simple. BEB - I hope that this spreads to clubs, a fairly simple extension of the current system, as it remembers who is linked to that account - simply going through and deselecting members or adding them on is easy, and could extend to a club id number and pin....

• 2 weeks later...

It's a daft system. I need a PIN number in order to register, I need to register in order to renew. If I've lost the PIN number I must call BMFA on the Eddison electric telephone.

why? Isnt my membership number a PIN? Surely the clue is that it's both a number and personal.

I'm on holiday, no pin, no international phone, big time difference. On line renewal great idea but unworkable. I'm reminded of the superb item in Viz comic about emails. It said to send an email type the text in the box below, then print it out, pop it in an envelope and send it to Viz comic,Newcastle etc.

funny in viz, unfunny for BMFA.

grrrrrrr

David

David, it's not at all "unworkable" for the vast majority of people. Without the PIN there is no check that you have entered the correct BMFA number and not accidentally renewed somebody else's membership by mistake. Now you may say you wouldn't be daft enough to do that, but I can guarantee a fair number of people will and that would take some time to untangle and sort out!

When you use a credit card number (or similar numbers) online these have one or more check digits at the end so if you mistype the number (eg. leave a digit out, transpose two digits etc.) then the number will be rejected, as the check-digit(s) is/are then wrong, and you will be prompted to reenter it. The PIN plays a similar role for the BMFA numbers as there are no check digits on the BMFA number, they're simply consecutive numbers.

How would you have renewed under the old system if you're away on holiday and your renewal card is on the doormat at home?

Edited By John Privett on 01/01/2013 13:01:59

David, why not just wait until you get home from holiday?

I did the online renewal and it all worked very well. I am a bit worried that SSL (https) is not used over the whole system but the payment bit is secure and all seemed to be fine. I got an email receipt as proof of payment within about 30 seconds.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 01/01/2013 12:57:05