Fuel tank - when is it full?

John Hickson

Maybe a stupid question but my only other IC plane had a visible fuel tank. My Seafire does not, it's buried away in the fuz. This got me thinking, how do you know when it's full? Fill it now and count have many revolutions of my fuel pump it takes from empty?

Likewise, how do you know how long to fly for before it runs out, fly for a bit, bring it in, take the wing off and keep checking?

Edited By John Hickson on 20/12/2012 17:19:32

Advert

What engine are you using: I presume a 120 FS if its the eRC/Seagull Seafire.

A 120 FS generally uses about 1.75 to 2oz per minute at full throttle. So a 20oz tank would give 10 mins at full throttle, perhaps realistically, 13 mins of normal warbird flight, assuming the tank was full to start with.

Hi

I'm also curious as to how, with a typical tank shown above, does the engine keep running when say in a vertical dive with half a tank of fuel.

With the model static but nose down vertically and half a tank full the clunk will be poking up into thin air.

Where does the fuel come from in this situation whilst in flight?

Regards

Thanks Frank,

That makes sense, I guess you'd only start possibly having fuel problems when hitting the 1/4 tank position with much more chance of pulling air through instead of fuel.

It's got me thinking though about maybe fitting some sort of small header tank that stays full as it's replenished from the main tank.

Kind Regards

I've never had any problems with the engine stopping in a dive. Usually the G-forces are sufficient to create positive 'G' in a dive (acceleration of the airplane in the dive : Therefore + G-Forces) to keep the fuel feeding the carb.

A pint can not hold a quart . If it holds the pint. it's doing the best it can. Vincent from "Black Hole"