Ton Van Munsteren's P-51 Mustang

Ton van Munsteren

Advert

Paul,

RBC has made the mould so there is no other supplier I know off for the parts.

Why not make the cowl from foam or balsa, the one on mine Mustang is foam because there was no mould at the time I was building the model.

For the canopy you can make a mould from balsa and maybe some one in your flying club can help you with making a vacuum part.

Or use a canopy from another supplier which is close in size and shape.

Ton

Hi Gus,

The hinge on the ailerons is made from Solartex the elevator and rudder is done with Mylar.

There is a 2mm pianowire between the elevator sides to connect them.

Please do post some pics of your Mustang.

Love to see others build my designs makes me even more motivated to get on with my next design hoping you all like a russian fighter.

Ton

• 1 month later...

Hi, all

Any input/advice on adding some servoless retacts to this model? (truth be told im not a really fan of belly landing mustangs, because we dont have the smoothest grass around here.) But its a great looking model and im really keen to have a go at building it. As a last resort fix gear will have to do.....but it will look really great with retracts.

(nb im new to this forum but not new to building) ;P

Hi Fritz,

Great you like the Mustang and yes servoless retracts will work great in the Mustang.

But to be honest take off and landings from a rough field can best be done will a belly landing model.

On a rough field the wheel will get stuck in the field and could damage the wing of the model.

Looking forward seeing you build pics of the Mustang.

Ton

Hi Graham,

Sorry for my late reply have some poblems with my pc at home.

Can you tell where you normaly by your motors so I can have a look at there collection to select one for you.

Or contact Puffin Iam sure they can advise you on a motor which they have in stock.

By the way would love to see some pics of your Mustang.

Ton

Hi Ton,

Thanks for your reply. Normally I use Hobby King or Giant Shark .

I have asked for notification from giant shark for when they have stock of the Typhoon motors, but how long it will be before they get stock don’t know.

Fuselage / wing and tail are made and used the canopy and hatch from RBC Kits (good quality). Will try a photo when all built.

Graham

Graham

I too tried and failed to find a Typhoon moter so went for an Emax GT2812/09 from Model Accessories which has pretty much identical specs.

Their spec sheet for the motors is here

http://www.modelaccessories.co.uk/emax-brushless-motor-specifications.html

mustang motor.jpg

Runs for 5 to 6 mins 0n a 2200 3s through a 60a ESC (40 would do it) providing plenty of power for scale like flying and only gets warm.

Cheers

Rich

Richard,

Is it running at about 30 amp.

Mine is running at about 18amp when Iam right and for me thats just right.

Lorenz,

Sorry pics are not working but would love to see that Spitfire.

What is the weight of the Spitfire , still flying RBC's (Rob) prototype model and loving it , even enlarged the Spit to 1500 span and man thats even better at that size.

For the Mustang a Towerpro 2908-8T-5 would also make a nice motor use that on my Tailwind 1300gr good power at 20Amp. Or another version for a bigger prop this motor only go's with a prop smaller than 9".

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 17/07/2013 16:11:05

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Ton, just starting the build, got the parts a year ago but othe projects intervened. I am a glider chap and a PSSA member. Have one or two questions:-

1. If I do a builder's log where should it be stored - in this log or start a separate one - if so where? There isn't a master folder for builds from your wonderful plan - look really simple and easy to put together in comparison with more conventional plans
  2. I am a bit of an electric beginner. Have a little experience but basically a glider boy. I have the recommended Typhoon motor. It looks as though it should fit with the screw holes facing forwards and attaching to F1 but I think it is designed to attach to F2.. Could do that but the motor would then be a bit back to front. Could you post some photographs showing how you have installed your motor please
  3. How about a folding prop. I thought that the fixed prop might break on landing unless you completely cut and glide
  4. Do you know anywhere I can buy decals. I have used Pyramid Models but they are very expensive and not very compromising to deal with.

Hi Ton, just starting the build, got the parts a year ago but othe projects intervened. I am a glider chap and a PSSA member. Have one or two questions:-

1. If I do a builder's log where should it be stored - in this log or start a separate one - if so where? There isn't a master folder for builds from your wonderful plan - look really simple and easy to put together in comparison with more conventional plans
  2. I am a bit of an electric beginner. Have a little experience but basically a glider boy. I have the recommended Typhoon motor. It looks as though it should fit with the screw holes facing forwards and attaching to F1 but I think it is designed to attach to F2.. Could do that but the motor would then be a bit back to front. Could you post some photographs showing how you have installed your motor please
  3. How about a folding prop. I thought that the fixed prop might break on landing unless you completely cut and glide
  4. Do you know anywhere I can buy decals. I have used Pyramid Models but they are very expensive and not very compromising to deal with.

Hi Peter,

Great that you want to build the Mustang and reading your first line made me think you were going to build it as an PSSA model.

Yes please post you build pics in here the more pics the better.

For installing the motor I will make some pics to show you how it sits in my model hoping this help.

Not yet brocken a prop but a folding prop will do just great.

I normally paint my Decals maybe that will be an option for you as well.

Looking forward to your build pics.

Cheers

Ton

I am a bit of a slope soarer boy and PSSA member. Not built an electric model before.

Ordered the bits a year ago but other projects have intervened eg Alpha Jet and a Jet Provost.

Having opened the box and studied the plan I am blown away by the brilliant way the parts all interlock. Amazing system I have never seen before.

I think I am going to add reinforcing fillets inside the fuselage formers and carbon tissue inside near F1 and 2.

I am puzzled how the motor fits to F2. Any ideas?

I am a bit worried about the lightness of the build, though I am probably worrying unecessarily

One of the things I did was mark the part numbers on all the die cut parts before assembly. Sadly, when I tried to glue F7 it was such a tight fit that I broke it in 4 places when trying to force it in as can be seen from this photo. Dont make the same mistake! I have glued it back together. I am going to file it down to shape and fit it properly. Just love the tags which mean you don't have to build over the plan at all, which is a first for me.

dsc_0028.jpg

Decals - am not going to paint my own like Ton. Have found a brilliant decal supplier who has offered to do all the decals I need for Fragile but Stripey shown elsewhere on this blog for 10.99 pounds sterling. I got some from Pyramid Models for 37.00 for my Jet Provost which I thought was a rip off. Site is Model Markings.com