Ton Van Munsteren's P-51 Mustang

Ton van Munsteren

Advert

Linds,

Thanks and yes the most difficult thing (and fun thing) of designing a model, is not making the drawing in cad, but designing a model than can be build and fly well. It looks some times so easy on paper but it will never work with balsa or ply.

What I like the most on RMCE is that all the talented designers design and build there models here to show everyone that is can be done and that its fun to do. But that you need to know what your doing and have to have experience with building models before you can design your own.

bbc,

Thanks and woooo that is very expencive.

Ton

Danny,

Thanks and must admit that its most rewarding knowing now that they do fit correct.

The build was going a little to quick and had to much fun, that I forgot to make as many pics as I normally do, so here are the last build pics.

mustang p51d (55).jpg

The cooler underneath the Mustang wing

mustang p51d (56).jpg

mustang p51d (58).jpg

mustang p51d (59).jpg

mustang p51d (60).jpg

mustang p51d (61).jpg

mustang p51d (62).jpg

mustang p51d (63).jpg

mustang p51d (64).jpg

mustang p51d (65).jpg

mustang p51d (66).jpg

mustang p51d (67).jpg

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 06/01/2013 15:21:19

CS,

That really is a great looking Mustang and to be honest the hardest part was to selecting the colour scheme because there are so many.

But for me one thing was for sure no aluminium coloured version. Have done several models with aluminium tape finish but the problem with that is that they get damaged to quick, specially when landing without a landing gear.

The P51 selected is this version :

This is what I made of it :

mustang p51d (85).jpg

mustang p51d (86).jpg

Hope you all like it.

Ton

Tony / Danny

Thanks for the compliment.

CS,

Thanks and the Mustang is flying for some time now and is doing great, Iam really happycool with it.

My college pilot who did the flying for the flying shots was surprice at how well the Mustang is flying.

Here some more pics of the Mustang and hoping to see the Mustang very soon in the RCME.

mustang p51d (87).jpg

mustang p51d (90).jpg

mustang p51d (94).jpg

Sandpaper for a good handgrip.

mustang p51d (95).jpg

mustang p51d (96).jpg

mustang p51d (97).jpg

mustang p51d (98).jpg

mustang p51d (100).jpg

mustang p51d (102).jpg

mustang p51d (103).jpg

mustang p51d (104).jpg

mustang p51d (105).jpg

mustang p51d (107).jpg

mustang p51d (108).jpg

mustang p51d (109).jpg

Ton

Great looking model Ton !!

Nice scheme you picked for this bird. Really like this small warbirds like the RBC warbirds.

I'm thinking on designing a warbird this scale some time . . . Thirst have build one on your desings to learn more about construction methods and airfoils used etc.

I think a zero would be nice addition to the range with the posibility to build it a a rufe . . . .

mmmm suddenly another idea comes to mind. . . . . a Voight OSU2 Kingfisher .. . .dont know decisions decisions

Cheers,

Bart

• 1 month later...

Hi Ton, I got this plane at RBC kits and im at the moment building it. I have give it to you for designing a plane that is very easy to build!

I have a question though, I was thinking ofputing on a functional rudder, but the elevators are in the way. Do tou think it's better to trim a bit of the elvator to make room for rudder movements or should i move the vertical stibilizer towards the nose to make room for rudder movement (and also more scale look)?

Hi Jan,

Great to know your building the Mustang and enjoying it.

For me the best option would be to trim the elevator because that would only be a few mm.

Here is a pic just made of my Mustang which shows that the movement is about 20mm both sides.

The rudder is lose because its fixed with mylar hinges, but not controlled although it could easily be.

mustang p51d (110).jpg

Please do post some pics if possible would love to see the progress of your model.

Ton

• 1 month later...

I saw the plan in the mag, it is nice, and a good article too.

I do think the shaping is a tiny bit out, the canopy is too tall and nose doesn't look quite right to my eye, but I know how tricky it must be so I still respect your effort. Also, the pictured model doesn't have the lip at the centre of the wing, but it is shown on the plan. And this niggled me that the rudder is not in line with the fuselage, as shown in your photo here.

But I am probably delving too deep since it isn't a competition machine but a nice little fighter. Please ignore me at your will, I know you have spent a lot of time desgning this model so it probably isn't nice when some mad person obsessed with a white triangle comes and nit-picks all over it, you have done far better than I could do.

CS

Martian,

Thanks and Iam hoping that the list is not to long, looking forward seeing your build pics of the Mustangwink some day.

CS,

Thanks and yes please do tell what you like and don't like on the Mustang.

Yes the canopy is probable not the best to scale, its taken from an older RBC kit and was good enough for me. Making a new and better mould was possible from a 3D drawing but was a lot of extra work, sometimes you have to make choices.

The Nose on my model is not 100% good to shape because that was cut from foam and I do hate cutting and shaping foam, because I can never get it right . The Nose on the drawing is reasonable good to scale and so will be the vacuum part. If all has gone well RBC did use my 3D file to cut a mould which should be much better than my foam version.

blushThe Lip on the wings centre was totally forgotten by me on my model, sorry for that.

Yes correct the rudder is to short but that was done on purpose, because I damaged the rudder on my Hawk75 on landing which hooked in the grass and got damaged. That made me think to make the rudder on the Mustang a little shorter so the rudder could never be damaged on landing. Although now I think its not necessary because the landing is on the cooler so the rudder will not touch the grass on landing.

For the basic of the Mustang I used a 3view from the In Action series (Sqaudron/signal) which is not bad at all, but did make some modification to make sure the Mustang is a great flyer because that what its all about for me with this model.

Cheers

Ton

I did think the plan looked more to scale than the model, so maybe it is just that. I am no good with foam, I much prefer planing and sanding balsa!

I must admit I am very impressed by your CAD work, it is something I have never been able to do even with fairly simple things, so to see you come out with aeroplanes is very impressive! Keep up the good work!

CS

Hi Ton

Thanks for creating this great little model for us all. I can't wait to get my teeth into the buildyes

I've started cutting out my kit of parts from the free plan, but can't seem to find the FH pattern ( the part that the front hatch sits on) . It is marked on the fuselage side view but unless I'm mistaken its outline shape isnt there. Any ideas?

Regards

Rich