qso's

Former Member

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
hi David the M6 test (foundation) is the first of three to get you started and "extreemly" difficult to pass you need to be able to get to a course the hardest part is trying to decide how many suger to put in your coffee and parting with the cash.

Eric there is no way I would spent 6 or 7 hundred pound for a s/h set on ebay I was looking at going for a Yaesu FT897D a bit pricey for a first set but I only want to do it once I dont want to out-grow my first set in the first year or two.

Inspector, thanx for that.   I hope you enjoy your wireless fun!  I personally think the hey days have long since gone and that there's nothing like the excitement left to be had now, but that might just mean Im an old git that well remembers the throbbing pulse of Amateur Radio in the '80s!  Wow.

Its my berfday today and I got something I hve always wanted but never felt the justification for...a new numberplate for my car.  Yup, my dear wife bought me...G4YVM!  

Im looking forward to popping that on!  diddly dah di dah!

The Sunspot cycle is on the way up, with luck HF will be considerably better during the next few years. I cannot imagine that Amateur Radio will ever again be a top Technical Hobby. A serious challenge for folk to aspire too. That said, there are certainly far more aspects to explore. From resolving signals we cannot even hear, to GigaHertz frequencies. Both extreme challengies. All the older modes are there, from CW (Morse Code) to sending Pictures by "slow scan" which can be likened to "Digital" still pictures. Plus full colour and sound, decent quallity television over fairly long distances. Just for good measure we can make use of Satelites and also bounce signals off the moon.

We can also design and build our own Transmitters and Receivers without the rigamarole of CE compliance.

Some of you know all this, hopefully others will be intreagued.
73, GM1YGV

Yeah but its not different anymore!  Slowscan? ATV? Why??? Just skype!  Resolving didgital sigs?CW? blah blah blah? Just use that daftness that is eqso or whatever its called...no RF, no nasty TVI,  etc, just you and your computer.

Personally it bores the arse off me if it isnt RF based, I liken radio to fishing...you never know QUITE what you'll get and thats why I love it.

I think mobile HF is a great challenge and thoroughly enjoy that when I can get it.

I also really miss 2m SSB...I have tried to resurrect my little bit of it but the QSOs are so scarce I stopped again and dropped the aerials down .  Pity, nothing quite like the buzz of 2m DX!!

D

dah di dah

'bout the only time you will get 2m SSB is during the major contests, and not a lot of chat then. Bare bones contact. My best DX was during a contest from the Mull of Kintyre into Spain. I got Portsmouth from there too while doing the Practical Wireless contest, 2.4 Watts into a 17 el Yagi, SSB.

My hearing is not up to contesting now though  and me with LOTS of equipment for use during the retirement years. Don't need much hearing for model flying though

Heard Eric once, could not get it two way though. HF ssb of course.

• 1 month later...
Posted by Steve W-O on 21/11/2010 23:18:59:
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/11/2010 23:11:07:
Car  in front of me today had 8 aerials of various shapes on its roof - one of your lot?
    Doubt it, I have two, and one looks lke an ordinary car aerial, and with those two I cover 3.5 through to 432.

It is quite possible. Some just like to have a wide variety as one "shoe" fits all only works best at one size (frequency)

An alternative reqirement is for Emergency Communications which some of us volunteer our time, equipment and transport. Practice may involve assisting community things, Marathon, Cross Country charity walks and many other events. Recently some groups have been called out to assist with transport and communication from other peoples transport due to the extreme weather.

True disaster stuff may well mean a number of different radio frequency bands being used at the same time.