Show us your workshop!

Ernie

Advert

Hi Dave in the 3rd pic down you have a model i was givin but mine had no info on or in the box can you tell me the make of the model so i can get the info like throws & cofg & power. & what they fly like

mine has a 180fs up front waiting for the good weather to get here to try it out

cheers Stu

Posted by pyro stu on 10/03/2013 20:08:10:

Hi Dave in the 3rd pic down you have a model i was givin but mine had no info on or in the box can you tell me the make of the model so i can get the info like throws & cofg & power. & what they fly like

mine has a 180fs up front waiting for the good weather to get here to try it out

cheers Stu

I'm not suren what it is but it looks a lot like a Maher's Thunderbird. I have one with a Zenoah 26 petrol engine.

Geoff

Posted by LMA Dave on 11/03/2013 00:18:53:

Hi Pyro / Geoff, yes you are right Geoff it is a Maher's Thunderbird, I haven’t got round to finishing it yet, Pyro, I have very limited instruction on the model I will try and fine them and let you know if it has the info you want.

There was very little provided. I still have all there was. Just 2 sides of A4 in very big print. CoG is on the wing spar. Control throws are an inch both ways for everything. 3degree down thrust and 3 degrees right thrust. Standard servos throughhout (JR 591) though I used a big 1/4 scale servo on the rudder because I had one in stock. Flies brilliantly - I;ve had numerous flights with mine - probably 100 at least.

My build log is at RCMF somewhere. I built it in 2007 but the forum has been reorganised since then. The instructions are here http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=54262.0

Found it but the pictures don't show probably because of a system crash that messed up the whole forum a few years ago. The pictures are still on-line in my gallery but don't appear for some reason.

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,36928.0.html

Hope that helps.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 12/03/2013 00:52:43

I agree Pyro, it does look flimsy, Geoff thanks for posting the info I haven’t found mine yet, not that it is much good as you say. I have yet to finish mine and fly it maybe this summer fingers crossed. I had herd they fly well this was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.

Posted by pyro stu on 12/03/2013 10:15:40:

Hi Geoff thanks for that i found that one as im on that forum. what was your under cart like i found it so c**p i changed it to a hangar 9 carden yak set.

well i hope to test fly this weekend weather depending thumbs up

I made a new one out of dural which has survived OK. I breoke the original on one of my rare poor landings with this plane. It's lovely to fly.

Geof

• 7 months later...

Many thanks Jon,

Some look better in photos than real life, some are getting tatty now with hangar rash etc but i am pleased with what i have, several are second or third hand but still give good service. The canard is awaiting repair after an incident a few weeks ago and travel air needs new bearings in motor when funds allow, but most others are airworthy or in various states of build.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my lovely Hanger!! not as tidy as some, but its all minelaugh

s8003699.jpg

I can get 9 planes at the back and 9 on the front.

s8003702.jpg

s8003713.jpg

The other end.

s8003701.jpg

This is how I know she really loves me!! Our lounge/dinning room, sometimes I need a little more room... well its not my fault the hanger is to small is it.

s8003706.jpg

One lucky boy me finks!!

Andy.

I have joined this thread a little late I think but I would like to share a couple of photos of my present and future workshops.

My current workshop of the last 17 years is a "spare bedroom" it has served me well and many a model made.

dsc08690 (1024x683) (1024x683).jpg

From left to right, Flair Astro Hog, Cambrian Mk24 spitfire, Ripmax Extreme, Pegasus Merlin hiding at the back. On the right we have a premier Tiger Moth, Flair Cub (waiting for my son) Tony Nijhuis 72" Mk I / II. On the building board Tony Nijhuis Beaufighter just about to be started. I also have in the cupboards below my kits that are waiting to be built, tools and other bits. There are a few Airfix kits that I use for detailing my models, yes that is a Short Stirling hanging up there, once tried an own design never finished it.

My "new" workshop is to be in the attic as we need to move the bathroom so I have been informed by my better half and below are a couple of photos. Due to low head room it cannot be a full attic conversion. i spoken to Building Control who have advised me how to strengthen the floor, not to put in a velux type window or staircase. Spoil sports!

However, undetered and NOT making it a "habiltal" space I have lined the underside of the rafters with breathable roofing membrane. Having done this I tried a flammability test. This stuff burns very quickly, this will mean a fire plasterboard above the work bench area just in case.

dsc08367 (1024x683).jpg

Before Starting work, two aircraft are "waiting to be repaired one day" Cambrian 55" spitfire and Elecytra fly

dsc08366 (1024x683).jpg

Still need to do a lot of sorting out. I cannot remove the 6 x 2. More work to do here in time.

Robert