Citabria Pro (1/8 scale)

Tim Hooper

Advert

• 1 month later...

Whilst putting my Citabria Pro away for the winter, I couldn't help noticing that the pilot looked a bit bored so I came up with a cunning plan. I made him this book to while away the long winter evenings... my thinking is that, armed with this book, he'll be able to undertake all the necessary maintenance tasks over the winter and the model will be in tip-top condition come the new flying season wink

My wife says I have too much time on my hands!!

p1.jpg

p3.jpg

p2.jpg

(and yes, that's actually a photo of my model on the front cover)

I'm currently building an Aerotech Citabria Pro kit that I bought as a part build job at the Nats, very heavy but as its got a Turnigy G25 870kv up front running on a 4s lipo it should have enough grunt to be a good high wind flyer. I've nearly finished it bar covering the veneered foam wings and I don't have any problems doing the stars, stripes, and checkerboard panel but I can't find a good picture of the logo that goes on the fin. Does anyone have this as a reasonably large jpg that I can scale to fit?

Gordon

• 6 months later...

I must thank you Tim for designing and creating plans for this cracking model. I have recently completed my build which was a real pleasure. I found this forum to be really useful. It helped me no end. The maiden proved to be quite uneventful, just a couple of clicks of elevator. A fellow club member handled the take off, trimming and landing but I had the pleasure several minutes on the sticks. She flys beautifully. Keep up the good work Tim and thanks again. Here's a pic of mine (even the LED lamp in the nose works) :

my_citabria.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments Tim & Mike. After 3 years of rc flying, I still seem to be very much a novice. The chap who maidened my Citabria Pro for me is our club examiner and an amazingly adept flyer. He was very complementary about it's flight characteristics. It chuffed me as this is the first "off plan" plane I've built, although I've built a couple of kits previously. I dont feel qualified to comment about the thrust line. Perhaps I was fortunate to hit on setting it correctly. My next build? ... RBC kit's Tiggie (it's waiiting in the loft).

• 7 months later...

Hi Tim,

Is the plan correct in showing the blind nuts for the wing strut mountings at different distances from the root/nearest rib? If the plan is correct I am curious as to why this should be so; left to my own devices without your expert advice I would make them the same. It probably does not make much difference but in the interest of perfection....

Regards,

Gary

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your (very quick) reply. No need to apologise though it's only a small detail. If there had been no excellent forum to consult its's what I would of done. However there would always have been a little voice nagging at me saying " I wonder if Tim had a cunning plan?".

Best wishes,

Gary

(the Gary thats always been in the process of building a Tipsy Junior every time we have met)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys lovely little plan. I just restored a crashed one but for the life of me I cannot find the recommended aileron throws any where They dont appear on the plans with the Elev and Rudder throws.

Can anyone suggest a good start point as Im very uncertain how to set the itial throws with such short wide ailerons :D Thanks in advance

• 3 years later...

Hi Tim, and fellow CITPRO fans. Great build log! I have only just signed up to RCM&E, so apologies for the rather late past it's sell by date message! About two years ago I completed a CITPRO from your plans, but chose to convert it to a 30 size Magnum FS installation. It looks good, flies great all the while making the right noises. One of my favourite late afternoon lazy fliers. I also didn't follow the original paint scheme, instead taking my own artistic licence.

Greetings from South Africa.

Rory