Hello, Retired and restarted hobby after 40 years

Ruprect Spode

Hello, my name is Ruprect and I am starting aeromodelling now that I have retired after a 40 year break. I only built rubber powered balsa models and airfix kits. For Christmas I was given a Hobbyking 1100mm J3 Cub, a 2830 1100kv motor, a 35amp speed controller, a 3s 1500mah battery, a 10*4.5 SF propellor, a battery charger, 3 servo's and a Planet T5 transmitter and receiver. There is quite a lot of work to do to build this aeroplane and it seems quite flimsy. I am going to start building it soon but the instructions are in poorly translated 'Chinglaise'. I think they may have put the instructions for a video recorder in the box instead of an aeroplane.

Advert

Well worth looking through the specific section of this forum for Beginners.

I also returned to hobby after a long absence. My advice:

1. Join BMFA to get the Insurance - important even for a small model.

2. Get a Simulator to run on your PC and a lead to connect your Tx to a USB port.  Flying RC model planes is great fun, but initially not easy.

Practice on an RC plane simulator helps.

Edited By John Cole on 24/01/2013 12:52:32

Thank you for your kind welcome, I can't wait to get started on some real building. I intend to stick to the 'smaller' end of the hobby no larger than a Pix E Major really, in fact I may consider it as my first plan build. My wife has never smelled thinned dope before, she's in for a shock! Seriously though I have bought Poly C for tissue and odour free epoxy. I'll experiment with Solar Film also. I'm looking forward to electrifying some of my 1970's designs, it's just the weight issue I shall be careful of. I may even consider depron as a build material. I'm really not going to 'buy and fly' any more aircraft as I have lot's of building time to enjoy. Thank you all.

Ruprect

Ruprect Spode

Welcome! I go along with the advice on a simulator .Once you've got the hang of an aeroplane coming towards you and can automatically feed in the correct stick movement ,you're almost there .The rest is a process of embellishment IMHO.Yesterday I received the Realitycraft gear (£20 ish only) and have eventually got 'er indoors to install it .Works very well now ,and will keep altering all the variables available whilst we're snowed under.

Myron

Welcome Ruprect.

The mention of thinned dope ammuses me. I remember spilling some thinners on my parents sideboard when I was about 10 whilst covering a model. They were not best pleased! Nowadays dope isn't used much. By and large Models are covered with heat shrink materials now so the odour isn't a problem.

Don't forget to join a club if you haven't already!

Looking forward to your progress.

Ian

Edited By Rentman on 24/01/2013 16:03:58

There are 2 clubs in my area. One will not let me join until I purchase more expensive radio gear as they consider the Planet T5 for indoor use only. The chairman of the other club considered small electric or FF rubber as not serious aeroodelling and really suggested I purchase an IC training model of at least 40 size to enjoy the full 'club' experience. I have joined the BMFA.

It's so annoying when you hear of club officials acting like this! I had a similar experience with one club when, like you Ruprect, I came back into the hobby after a 40+ year sabatical. I asked if I could come and have a chat and the chairman said "we're full".

Fortunately I had other choices and the club I eventually joined took me on and fully supported me through buying the kit and gaining my "A". I have also just joined a second club, just for location choices, and when I first phoned them the secratary invited me down for a fly and a chat and I then immediately joined.

My point is - don't judge by the negative responses you seem to have had, the vast majority of people are only too willing to help.

Free advice to any club officials: If approached by a potential new member, all you have to do is invite them down and make them feel welcome! If you can let them have a go on the club trainer, even better.