Kite Flyer

Bucksboy

Advert

• 2 years later...

Allow me to enlighten those that are interested.

In this video, Ray Bethell is flying his kites in Vanier Park in Vancouver. He lives right by the park and flies 356 days a year if he can. He performs at kite festivals around the world and holds a bunch of world firsts and world records too.

Here's a report from back in 2003 of him setting and breaking his own world records during the Washington State International Kite Festival

I've just managed to find some pics from that event!! Loads of fun!

Ray with one stack of eight Prism stunt kites.

right-lets-do-it-e1342467696136.jpg

Three stacks of eight prism kites! Ray did fly all twenty four of them at the same time, but I can't find any images yet.

setting-up-for-the-record.jpg

I can tell you that a kite stack pull like the devil and it's easy to loose control if you aren't up to the task. I've flown a stack of six small delta stunt kites that I made years ago. Nothing here is easy.

Ray's biggest record was set at that event. And although they were smaller kites, they were still maneuverable two line diamond stunt kites, with long tails this time.

breaks-his-own-record-2nd-time.jpg

Yeap, that's Ray at the bottom of the image with his arms out.

What? Oh, did you count the kites? Hehe, that's thirteen kites in each stack. So he eventually flew thirty nine kites in three stacks simultaneously!!!!

I'm happy to beable to say that I met Ray Bethell about 20 years ago at the Blackheath Kite Festival. He was, of course flying three separate kites. I shook his hand after he landed them wink 2. A true gentleman and a great ambassador for sport.

It's not too difficult to fly two model aircraft at once. Set up one tranny, with throttle/ rudder on the left stick. Use that for model one with your left hand... Another tranny should have a similar setup for model two, and use your right hand. I'd keep it simple, no multi engined jobs till you get used to things

ernie

It's not too difficult to fly two model aircraft at once. Set up one tranny, with throttle/ rudder on the left stick. Use that for model one with your left hand... Another tranny should have a similar setup for model two, and use your right hand. I'd keep it simple, no multi engined jobs till you get used to things

ernie

Posted by Ernie on 06/03/2015 09:12:21:

ernie

It's not too difficult to post two posts at the same time either Ernie. wink 2

Posted by Max Z on 06/03/2015 15:45:08:

Now you are going to tell us you posted one with your right hand and the other simultaneously with your left.................cheeky

Edited By Max Z on 06/03/2015 15:50:37

No chance, mug of tea is almost permanently in my right hand while I surf the net or post on forums. smile d

Hmm, well, that's a parachute rather than a kite, to my way of thinking anyway. But yes, the foil types are popular these days in full size, what with paragliding and kite surfing. And I witnessed the birth of all the foil kites with the Flexifoil back in 1972. The original is still available today, called the Flexifoil Stacker

What happens with these kites is, the foil shape, filled with air due to mesh covered vents at the front, is assisted by a flexible single spar that runs through the leading edge which attaches to the two flying lines. So it prevents the cloth from collapsing and flexes more or less as the wind pressure varies. Plus, as speed increases, the foil constantly sets it's own angle of attack. There is obviously a finite point at which the cloth tubes will begin to deform and cause excessive turbulence. But equally, as speed increases, so the pressure inside the foil increases, improving rigidity. I think most people (with strong wrists) would be happy with the 8ft version. After all, it holds the world record for the fastest kite at around 180kmh!

flexifoil stacker6.jpg

Ironically, these aren't really suitable for RC adaptation. A pre-inflated foil would be better.

Posted by denis parkinson on 05/03/2015 22:12:31:

Chuck, I have never been into kites as such, but last year, I stumbled across the St Annes kite festival by accident, and what an amazing afternoon.

all-kites.jpg

A great bit of serendipity there Denis. Yes, in this 'tech' filled time lots of folk still like to make and fly 'static' single line kites. But let's face it, a kite is never static, they move all the time, reflecting the moods of the air. And a kite festival is an excellent way to entertain the kids.

I missed out several years ago when I went up the Bristol for the Sunday of their weekend festival. What I missed was the biggest kite ever flown. It was deemed too windy to launch it on the second day.

biggest kite 1.jpg

biggest kite 2.jpg

Made by the 'relatively' famous New Zealander, Peter Lynn. We are talking about 200kg of ripstop nylon, 1019 sq mtrs of actual foil area and 4300 cubic meters volume. Allegedly a thousand people could stand inside it! (while it's on the ground obviously wink ).

Peter Lynn also made those Pegasus kites in the image you showed from the St Annes Festival website.

A beautiful dragon from the same event. I love it!! I found another reference to it and it's has a 40ft wing span!!!!!! Still can't find who made it.

dragon kite!!.jpg

Found him! It's a gentleman named Dale Ray from Lincoln City in Kansas/Nebraska ( hehe, I had to write it like that, the border goes right thru the city! )

Here he is with a blue version of his 40ft dragon.

dale ray blue dragon.jpg

Something I have learned is that these two dragons aren't technically kites. Rather, they are ' line candy ' meaning that they are attached from the top to the line of a big lifting kite and then controlled for AOA from the ground. I suspect that they probably could be flown separately, but the 'bridle' would have to be extremely complex and they would fly at a very shallow angle, possibly only just above the ground.