Orange 3-axis Stabiliser V2

Pete B

The way most models are set up the dual aileron outputs of the Orange RX3S will not work; they move the ailerons up or down together. There are other weaknesses, such as the pots being over sensitive through only a small part of their movement. Also any control reversal on the RX3S reverses both the gyro correction and the servo output so it then has to be reviewed on the transmitter.

There is a method for flashing the board with new firmware which transforms the performance. The pots become reasonable to use, the aileron outputs drive ailerons as they should, and the gain control from the transmitter becomes proportional.

The detail for this is covered at considerable length by following this link . . .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672&page=1

. . . but there is plenty to read, 190 pages. Once mastered, the board flashing is easy and quick to do and transforms the orange device into a really useful piece of kit. I've done all mine and it was well worth the effort, including that of finding out how to do it.

Sorry, Phil, I did not directly answer your question.

Yes, the new firmware does stop the servo chattering.

It makes the dual aileron output pins work correctly.

It improves the way the pots work so that they are not so sensitive to adjust.

It gives proportional control of gain from the transmitter.

It also introduces a second operating mode - hold mode which is a bit tricky to handle.

The latest version of the RX3S is V2.1 and is reported as having also solved the chatter, but the rest remains the same as before.

Yes, Ian, the chip in the receiver is the same one as in the RX3S, and it is flashed in exactly the same way with the same results. There is one limitation—the receiver is only six channel and Ch-6 is used to control gain, so it's not really available for anything else, making the receiver effectively 5-channel in practical terms

I have just flashed a 6-channel receiver and it works with all the improvements as listed elsewhere. Excellent range test (60 metres) with a JR DSX9 transmitter this morning.

Thanks for that info, Clive. I'll see about familiarising myself with the flashing requirements from the RCGroups thread you mentioned.

I love your website, by the way. I had a particularly good drool over your Hangar 9 RV-8 - why the beggars discontinued it I'll never understand.

Ian

I had a miss hap today

Put the model into a spin and I could not get out of it. I don't know if the gyro helped to keep it in the spin or not but I had not given myself a lot of height/time to sort it out.

Before that the model was flying superbly with rock solid stability. It may have given me a false sense of confidence

I will repair and try again. I also now have an eagle a3 super to try out.

I don't see how the gyro could hold the spin if the normal spin recovery was applied, as the full stick deflections of a flashed RX3S should override the gyro. If you were using one as yet not flashed, then I do not know how it would behave. It's a good idea to be ready at any time to flick the switch to turn the gyro off if anything unusual happens.

• 1 year later...